User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 9:23:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hunted with my .450 Bushmaster and shot a nice buck.  I and another member of our party had 250 gr Hornady bullets disintegrate inside the deer with no exits.    Deer in each case were shot in the lungs and the bullets made messes.   No blood trails in either case.

I was using an AR and was able to put two more into him as he ran but he got into some thick brush and with the lack of a blood trail, he was not a quick find.  The other guy watched his tip over in a field after he ran a ways.
View Quote
Plastic-tip Hornadys like Leverevolution? I was unimpressed with them when I shot a doe with my .45-70 handgun a few years ago too. Found her, but no blood.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 9:53:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Plastic-tip Hornadys like Leverevolution? I was unimpressed with them when I shot a doe with my .45-70 handgun a few years ago too. Found her, but no blood.
View Quote
That is the bullet the FTX.  They mess up the insides but in two cases did not exit.  Huge entrance hole like they expand upon contact.  Noticed that on my target board as well big splash upon contact with the target board which is made out of Formica.
Link Posted: 12/15/2017 10:07:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That is the bullet the FTX.  They mess up the insides but in two cases did not exit.  Huge entrance hole like they expand upon contact.  Noticed that on my target board as well big splash upon contact with the target board which is made out of Formica.
View Quote
yep. They're accurate but the design needs some fine tuning to improve penetration.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 10:27:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Got this Monster down in Muscatine county on Thursday at about 1030am on public land!!!  B&C at 163 5/8"  
450 Bushmaster shooting 250gr Hornady Black, walked off about 25 yards and dropped  
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 10:46:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Got this Monster down in Muscatine county on Thursday at about 1030am on public land!!!  B&C at 163 5/8"  
450 Bushmaster shooting 250gr Hornady Black, walked off about 25 yards and dropped  
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/201190/Deer1-393942.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/201190/Deer2-393943.JPG
View Quote
NICE!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 7:02:57 PM EDT
[#6]
LOL! At first glance I thought it was a picture of brothers with their deer; I didn't see the break in the pic.
Then I thought, "hey, they look a lot alike but not quite, might even be twins."
Then I looked even closer and realized what was going on.
Giggling to myself about seeing differences and not realizing they were the same guy.

Nice deer by the way.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 12:35:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

yep. They're accurate but the design needs some fine tuning to improve penetration.
View Quote
My experience this year was that 325 grain leverevolution in 45-70 was very effective, if not too much so. However, I also took a head shot.  Everything behind the entrance hole was gone, and there was only half an empty cavity left of the head. The ground  for about three feet behind looked like someone took a water balloon full of red dye. It was actually pretty gruesome.

In the future I am going back to hard cast so I don't ruin meat. After taking off more than half of her head, I can only imagine what would have happened had I taken a body shot.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 8:59:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

My experience this year was that 325 grain leverevolution in 45-70 was very effective, if not too much so. However, I also took a head shot.  Everything behind the entrance hole was gone, and there was only half an empty cavity left of the head. The ground  for about three feet behind looked like someone took a water balloon full of red dye. It was actually pretty gruesome.

In the future I am going back to hard cast so I don't ruin meat. After taking off more than half of her head, I can only imagine what would have happened had I taken a body shot.
View Quote
That's exactly the problem, it's a rapidly expanding bullet that puts expansion over penetration.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 8:12:08 PM EDT
[#9]
See several using Hybrids on their 450s what's everyone's option on them definitely seems like the way to go to me but I've never shot one
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 7:45:21 AM EDT
[#10]
For it me it's a must have.  between the noise reduction and recoil reduction, its a win win.  It's a heavier can, but the whole package was lighter than my Rem 1187.  Another advanatge of the hybrid, multi-cal use.  I've used it on Sig MPX and works great.  Now since deer season is done, its going on my coyote gun.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 2:15:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I used my Hybrid on the 450 and I tell you after this year, I wont be going back to a 12g anytime soon if ever.  Its lighter, far more accurate and at a slightly longer distance.  I put 4 deer in the freezer this year with it and I can saw the round is very effective (Hornady 250gr Black).  My longest shot was 151yds and the doe only went about 75 yards from where I shot here.

I have ASC magazines both 9 and 7 and the 7 rounders are the cats meow, the 9 rounders gave me many functional issues in the field, but during sight in they acted fine.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 2:14:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
For it me it's a must have.  between the noise reduction and recoil reduction, its a win win.  It's a heavier can, but the whole package was lighter than my Rem 1187.  Another advanatge of the hybrid, multi-cal use.  I've used it on Sig MPX and works great.  Now since deer season is done, its going on my coyote gun.
View Quote
My Hybrid should be approved any day now. I fired some full power 44 mag through it at the dealer using my 77/44 last summer. It had a fairly loud sonic crack but I did not notice any muzzle blast. How did it sound on the 450B from an AR? Was port pop an issue?

I bought a Ruger RAR 450, which I like, but I just sent off paperwork to SBR one of my AR's. Now I'm tempted to build a 12"-14" 450B just because...
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 1:27:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My Hybrid should be approved any day now. I fired some full power 44 mag through it at the dealer using my 77/44 last summer. It had a fairly loud sonic crack but I did not notice any muzzle blast. How did it sound on the 450B from an AR? Was port pop an issue?

I bought a Ruger RAR 450, which I like, but I just sent off paperwork to SBR one of my AR's. Now I'm tempted to build a 12"-14" 450B just because...
View Quote
I thought it sounded pretty good.  A hair louder than 556 suppressed.  I thought it would have been border line hearing safe but it was actually quite comfortable to shoot.

450 bushmaster suppressed silencerco hybrid
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 2:48:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the video. It looks like it does knock the recoil down considerably which I noticed with the .44 as well. I hunt from an enclosed blind 99% of the time so the bolt gun will probably be perfect for me but it looks like 450 would do really well from an SBR length barrel. I probably won't do it but it sounds cool. Are you using an adj gas bock? Mid length?
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 3:41:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks for the video. It looks like it does knock the recoil down considerably which I noticed with the .44 as well. I hunt from an enclosed blind 99% of the time so the bolt gun will probably be perfect for me but it looks like 450 would do really well from an SBR length barrel. I probably won't do it but it sounds cool. Are you using an adj gas bock? Mid length?
View Quote
Its a factory Bushmaster Upper that I had cut from 20 in down to 16 in barrel by ADCO.  Its carbine length gas system with NO adj gas block.  It doesn't seem over gassed at all.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top