Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2017 8:08:17 PM EDT
So i want to build an AR pistol but reading up on everything has confused me.

Does anyone have have a straight up answer on what I can build and possess in Iowa? OAL, barrel length restrictions, etc.

Thanks....
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 8:24:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So i want to build an AR pistol but reading up on everything has confused me.

Does anyone have have a straight up answer on what I can build and possess in Iowa? OAL, barrel length restrictions, etc.

Thanks....
View Quote

You can build it however you want. No barrel length restrictions, no OAL requirements, as it is a pistol. Make it as short as you want, whatever caliber you want.

Another good spot to get an idea of what you can make is the AR Pistol subforum.

ETA: I have a 7.5" pistol with a Shockwave blade on it. I'll get some pics if you want.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 5:40:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info! Starting the process now.....
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 5:43:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Attachment Attached File

It can become addicting.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:53:23 AM EDT
[#4]
That VLTOR HG on there looks SLICK.

Had a 7.5, Have two 10.5's, an 11.7, an 8.5 300 BLK, a 5.5 9mm, Bren 805 pistol... They're a hoot. That said, I use them almost exclusively w/ suppressors.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 5:47:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Sam, are you running a regular BCG when running suppressed?

I've got a can in jail that I'm hoping will be released on good behavior soon.

Since it's a pistol thread. Here are my 3. Just started a 4th.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:54:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Yep, nothing fancy.

the .300BLK is a pistol length gas and runs fine
One 10.5" has an adj. gas block
The rest are all carbine or ML systems.

They are admittedly not as soft as my adjustable piston guns (ACR, Bren, etc). but I wanted reliability. I have 18"+ guns that are tuned for light recoil. The only thing I've added that I like are charging handles designed to mitigate some of the blowback (I still have one RTV jobber left).
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 5:22:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Alright thanks. I've put an ACH on the pistol I'm planning the can to go on so I think I'm good to go.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 7:25:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Indeed it can! It's been a few years since I built something and have always wanted to do a pistol.

Went with an Aero lower and Shockwave brace. I have a PSA EPT so I went with a no frills DPMS LPK. I have BCGs and handles on hand. Trying to figure out what I want in my upper....but I'm a few weeks away from that purchase.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 2:11:09 AM EDT
[#9]
That handguard is actually an old S.I.R. system I had from 2003 or so in my parts bin.  I used to mount an old Eotech to the front of it.  I got 3 more uppers I mix and match at times...waiting for black Friday to get a few more lowers.  Since I got into pistols, I haven't been paying attention to my rifles.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 8:54:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I sure like the two in front. I have been considering a pistol for years just dont have one.
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 7:28:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Here are my pistols

My 9MM's

The center one is waiting on a SBR stamp to come back. Its a COLT DOE
The bottom one 10.5"  has since been Norelled Grey to match the COLT DOE

Attachment Attached File

My 5.56 pistols
The bottom MK18 MOD0 is next one to get SBR'ed
Attachment Attached File

Also building one that uses Glock mags. going to have 5.5" barrel and an 5.5" handguard with a KAK micro flash can.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 2:14:10 PM EDT
[#12]
As long as you don't put a stock on it or a vfg, you can make it however you want.  I made a pistol caliber pistol AR
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top