Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 9/18/2017 5:30:14 PM EDT
I've been working as a travel nurse for this past year. So far, I've kept it close to home here in Florida. I'll be looking for a new assignment in January and I've decided I'm going to go wherever I can make the most $$$ for a few months. One of the places that has come up in my searches is Sioux City. I'd just appreciate any info you could give me on the city. Pros/cons or anything else. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:44:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Not offering any real help here, actually any help at all, but a Floridian going to Sioux City in January...

Well, maybe a bit of help.
I know next to nothing at all about Sioux City, but I think you'll find Iowans and South Dakotans, in general, to be good and welcoming people.
Hell, you'll probably want to move up here when you're done, and we'd probably be glad to have you.
Do not let this scare you off at all, but just so you know, north Iowa can be on the chilly side in January and February; like below zero sometimes.
And sometimes for a week at a time.
Even we natives walk outside sometimes and think "holy freakin' shit!" We even say it out loud.
Get someone to take you snowmobiling.
Try ice fishing.

If you have a permit to carry weapons in Florida, it is recognized in Iowa.
In Iowa, it is a permit to carry weapons and that can be concealed or open so no worry if you are printing or it shows.
No limit on magazine capacity.
There is no duty to preemptively inform law enforcement, but if asked you have to tell it straight and produce permit if asked.
Seems to be people recommend, if pulled over, to provide driver license, registration, proof of insurance, and your permit if you have a weapon.
Signs banning carry into businesses do not carry the weight of law so if you go into someplace with a sign and are carrying, you are not breaking the law.
If asked to leave, you must or you can be charged with trespass.
I do not drink myself, so never worried about alcohol specifics so cannot advise at all on that.

I'm sure there's more.

Good luck.
Greg
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:14:32 PM EDT
[#2]
The cold will definitely be new for me, but I'm actually looking forward to it. I've lived in Florida my whole life, and I'm so over the heat and humidity. I've always felt I was meant to be somewhere else. My wife feels the same. As far as ending up wanting to move there, you may be right. We both would love to move, and doing the travel nurse thing will allow me to scout out places while getting paid. It's a little early to commit to a job, as travel jobs are usually posted within a few weeks of when they want you to start. I'm looking at a few other places up North, but Sioux City is definitely on my list. Anyone have any input on the actual city itself?
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#3]
@strongarm66

Pretty sure he's in that general vicinity. I have nothing otherwise.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 3:44:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm in Sioux City, it's a great town. There is a few gun clubs in town.
It's better to know someone with a range so you don't have to pay.
Your a few minutes away from Nebraska and South Dakota.
St. Luke's or Mercy?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:39:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@strongarm66

Pretty sure he's in that general vicinity. I have nothing otherwise.
View Quote
I live about 15 miles outside of SC.  I've only lived up here for about 2 1/2 years after moving from the Des Moines area so I'm probably not the guy to give any in depth advice on it.  You should be able to get just about anything you need there.  As with any city, do your research on where you intend to live.  That's all I've got to say about that.

By the way, why would ANYWHERE other than the Southern US be on your radar for JANUARY???  We are overdue for getting our asses kicked by Old Man Winter!  Just sayin'.

Best of luck no matter where you choose.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:50:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The cold will definitely be new for me, but I'm actually looking forward to it. I've lived in Florida my whole life, and I'm so over the heat and humidity. I've always felt I was meant to be somewhere else. My wife feels the same. As far as ending up wanting to move there, you may be right. We both would love to move, and doing the travel nurse thing will allow me to scout out places while getting paid. It's a little early to commit to a job, as travel jobs are usually posted within a few weeks of when they want you to start. I'm looking at a few other places up North, but Sioux City is definitely on my list. Anyone have any input on the actual city itself?
View Quote
Ever wonder how we grow so much corn here? It's not because it's cold and dry in the summer...
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 1:47:30 PM EDT
[#7]
It gets cold and blowy as fuck in Iowa sometimes. I'd be very surprised if you don't see some temps below zero. Hope you come on up. 
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 5:52:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Another thought if you don't have 4wd, you better think about getting it. FWD will get you around pretty good but if we get a lot of snow like we did a couple times in the last couple years, it'll be tough for you.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:49:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Meh, thousands of shitty Grand Prixs, Impalas, and Buick Centurys transport Iowa high school girls and meth heads through the snow every single year
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 4:34:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I work at Mercy Des Moines. Came from  South Texas the first winter is an eye opener but you will learn to cope with it.  Good jackets  and layering clothing is something you will learn. Always have a hoodie in your car a spare coat a blanket and boots in the winter.  Everyone here forgets how to drive over the summer and we find them off in the bar ditches after the first snow.  

some of the north face jackets are on sale now

http://www.cabelas.com/product/THE-NORTH-FACE-INLUX-INSULATED-JACKET/1996329.uts?slotId=9

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1854158&type=product&WT.z_btnclk=YMAL-1854158&WT.z_pg_ref=prd1854078
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 9:55:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Welcome to Iowa: We wear Carhartts
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top