Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2017 12:15:33 AM EDT
Okay, so I am returning to Iowa after 18 years in Missouri, a very 2nd friendly state. I am moving to my home town area in eastern Iowa. Is there anything I need to know about, be aware of, or concerned about with respect to returning and bring all of my firearms with me? As I still own a home in Missouri, and have a valid CCW, do I need to get a new one from the state of Iowa before I purchase a home or establish residency? In Missouri we don't have to have a permit to purchase handguns, or anything really, do I need one in Iowa??

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:20:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Welcome back. Where in E. Ia.? I'm in SW Clinton County. Suppressors are legal, SBR/SBS are now legal. No full auto though. Will need an IA weapons permit, which is good for carrying all weapons legal in the state, open or concealed with some restrictions on knives I believe, upon establishing residency (30 days I think). Qualifications for a permit can be found in IA Code 724. We have either a weapons permit or a purchase permit for handgun purchases but with either permit, I believe, will bypass the NICS for any firearm purchase (weapons permit for sure will). Also no weapons signs carry no force of law here. If discovered and asked to leave by someone of proper authority you must or can be charged with trespass. We also have SYG now.

I think this is the latest version of 724. A lot of strikes and additions that just passed this spring. All in effect since July 1.

https://legiscan.com/IA/text/HF517/id/1550564
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:23:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the detail. We'll be in the Quad Cities area. My wife is a lab scientist so she's probably going to end up working in Iowa City so we'll probably buy property in between there and Iowa City, maybe Muscatine or Cedar county.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top