Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/25/2017 10:31:30 AM EDT
Let's get this kicked off...  Let's talk dates first.  A Saturday I assume?

Content?  What do people want to see or do?

Two gun?  Yes, No, Maybe?

Lunch or supper?  Same as always, or do a supper thing and wrap up with setting around visiting over supper in lawn chairs in a big circle?  ...Or a big circle less david and him sitting in the corner by himself?
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 7:16:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Not so sure about this circle thing......................................
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 7:23:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Heck yeah hopefully I can actually make this one!

Fall is the best time of year for get togethers.

I wish ya'll lived this ---> side of the metro though.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:00:06 PM EDT
[#3]
October is better than later from a weather standpoint.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 9:52:06 AM EDT
[#4]
September is better than October from a harvest standpoint

I would say 2-gun would be fun. Could even separate into two courses and just combine times at the end so we don't have quite the same bottleneck as 3-gun.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 10:50:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not so sure about this circle thing......................................
View Quote
where's your sense of adventure?
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 10:52:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:Could even separate into two courses and just combine times at the end so we don't have quite the same bottleneck as 3-gun.
View Quote
i like it.  maybe we could cut this into a skills competition including a rifle and pistol, and paste the times together...  that makes it competitive, but much faster and way easier to zip through for all involved.  additionally it has the least risk in terms of safety.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 5:14:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 11:11:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
As far as a date the end of September beats harvest time but is still a lot cooler than July.

I'm on a self-imposed (with wifes input) spending freeze so a 2-gun competition is out for me...I'd have to buy a "2nd gun".
View Quote
If I make it you can use my Contender for the second gun. Warning-I sold all my barrels except for the .45-70. You might find yourself looking like this-
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 10:55:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm in. I only shot one target off of the Texas star in 16 rounds so I've got that going for me.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 11:28:04 AM EDT
[#10]
A 2-Gun Comp. & get together this Fall sounds fun.  We had a lot of good food at the last gathering - a potluck meal following an friendly competition in the morning/afternoon sounds like a plan to me.  I can offer up RSO assistance if needed.  Let's pick a day...
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 11:35:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm in. I only shot one target off of the Texas star in 16 rounds so I've got that going for me.
View Quote
Don't feel bad. There were folks at 3-gun who missed with more rounds....from a rifle...with optics... on a target that wasn't moving.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 12:12:32 AM EDT
[#12]
We would love to attend another event
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 6:19:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Don't feel bad. There were folks at 3-gun who missed with more rounds....from a rifle...with optics... on a target that wasn't moving.
View Quote
Whew...
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 10:58:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, but you had to shoot rotated 90 degrees 1/2" off the ground through a tiny slot after running and gunning for 300 yards, up hill both ways.

It was raining too if I rember correctly.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:14:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Why is it that the universal claim of going uphill both ways is always made by people from places so flat that they can see their dogs butt for three days when it runs away from home?
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:22:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Count me in! I'm a terrible shot but I enjoyed  the last outing we had. Even if it felt like 1000° Kelvin.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:12:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We would love to attend another event
View Quote
Yes!
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 5:40:18 PM EDT
[#18]
depending on dates I could be in love the idea of a 2 gun
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 7:46:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Make it a Sunday, and I'd be down. Saturday's are a pain in the ass to get off from work.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 11:03:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Make it a Sunday, and I'd be down. Saturday's are a pain in the ass to get off from work.
View Quote
sorry dude.  i'm unlikely to get on board with that one.  church and family are first.  arfcom second...  lol.

i have become a codger now that i've entered my 40s.  sunday is a day i retain for the fam.  i'm sure you understand.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 11:13:59 AM EDT
[#21]
OCTOBER 7th is what wifey says...

That ok???
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 11:53:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That ok???
View Quote
If it works for you.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 1:23:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If it works for you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That ok???
If it works for you.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 1:35:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Nope  
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 3:43:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Nope  
View Quote
dammit sammy...
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 3:44:45 PM EDT
[#26]
yup.  i don't have a lot of choices.  it's that date or wait potentially until after the turn of the year.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 11:07:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

sorry dude.  i'm unlikely to get on board with that one.  church and family are first.  arfcom second...  lol.

i have become a codger now that i've entered my 40s.  sunday is a day i retain for the fam.  i'm sure you understand.
View Quote
I understand completely. I'll make it back out to see you some Friday then!
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:29:55 PM EDT
[#28]
QUICK CHANGE...

Wifey says the 7th is out.  Looks like the 14th is the date...  It should be a good time.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:31:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That ok???
View Quote
NOT THE 7TH...  My bad.  Our date is the 14th!!!
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:37:29 PM EDT
[#30]
I'll try to make it-been wanting to make it down to one of these, sooner or later things are bound to work out. Sounds like a fun day from posts about previous gatherings.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:13:23 AM EDT
[#31]
I talked with some of you at the last get together about having a Wild Bunch Shoot in the future.  We still want this to happen at CCA and Michael and I would like to have a discussion with folks at the Oct 14th shindig to gauge interest and to get input.  Keep in mind that this will NOT be like the SASS Wild Bunch Shoots.  You don't have to have an alter ego or dress in period clothes.  Some period equipment will be needed but that's it.  The only basic rules that we have discussed so far are safety and allowable guns/ammo.  The only guns that will be allowed are basic stock 1911's (as in GI issue), lever action Winchester style rifles, 1897 and 1912 Winchester shotguns, Tannerite and of course a water cooled 1917A1 Browning machine gun.  The shoot/course itself will follow as closely as possible the final scene in the movie which has been referred to as "The battle of bloody porch".

For those of you that are interested, you will have some homework to do.  You will need to watch the following video clips on Youtube:

The Walk

Bloody Porch

Watch the clips and get some ideas.  If you think it would be fun we'll talk.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:00:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 9:50:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I talked with some of you at the last get together about having a Wild Bunch Shoot in the future.  We still want this to happen at CCA and Michael and I would like to have a discussion with folks at the Oct 14th shindig to gauge interest and to get input.  Keep in mind that this will NOT be like the SASS Wild Bunch Shoots.  You don't have to have an alter ego or dress in period clothes.  Some period equipment will be needed but that's it.  The only basic rules that we have discussed so far are safety and allowable guns/ammo.  The only guns that will be allowed are basic stock 1911's (as in GI issue), lever action Winchester style rifles, 1897 and 1912 Winchester shotguns, Tannerite and of course a water cooled 1917A1 Browning machine gun.  The shoot/course itself will follow as closely as possible the final scene in the movie which has been referred to as "The battle of bloody porch".

For those of you that are interested, you will have some homework to do.  You will need to watch the following video clips on Youtube:

The Walk

Bloody Porch

Watch the clips and get some ideas.  If you think it would be fun we'll talk.
View Quote
just so everyone is clear, this is a very fluid concept dave has at the moment.  he's always wanted to do one of these, and i thought he was right to bring it up at the next shindig, the 14th, so we could all kick it around.

so just watch the videos a conceptual thing, and we'll visit then.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 3:35:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Unfortunately, I will not be able to attend on the 14th.  I was hoping to re-schedule a few things but can't make it work out.  It does sound like a great time though.  I will be waiting for pics and an update on the possible future event.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:55:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Where would this shindig be located?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:35:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
Welcome new guy.

I'll let someone else answer so you can get all of the correct details.

Where are you from?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:13:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Hi new guy.  Welcome aboard.

Address for the dog and pony show:

Controlled Chaos Arms
8401 HWY S52 North
Baxter, IA

See you there!
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:19:38 PM EDT
[#38]
I can't make this one.  I am taking a class through the DNR so that I can coach a trap club.

It sounds like a lot of fun. I've yet to go to one of these shindigs and not find something new and fascinating.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 5:44:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks Everyone. I have lurked for a while and finally deceided to get going. Got some parts coming. Hopefully I will be able to join you guys at meet and greet.I am located in cedar rapids.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 10:25:51 AM EDT
[#40]
If you need help putting anything together, give me a shout. I'm in your AO.

I have the 14th marked on the calendar, but that's even further into the belly of the beast...we'll see.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 10:50:32 AM EDT
[#41]
SamW : thanks I definitely will.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 12:05:45 AM EDT
[#42]
OST, I'd really like to be there.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:46:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Just a reminder, this is only about 3 1/2 weeks away.  

Link Posted: 9/19/2017 7:50:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Planning on being there.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 12:26:42 PM EDT
[#45]
i need to apologize to you all.  

i didn't notice that my dad's 'octoberfest' shindig is the same day.  i haven't been able to attend one of these for all of the 7 years he's been doing them.  there's always been something else that was supposedly more important.  my dad is becoming an ol' boy and i question how much longer he's going to do this kind of stuff...

...so...  i had to adjust priorities folks.

i decided to drop this date and instead plan to take my family to spend the day with him and the rest of the fam/neighborhood.  i hope you all understand.  i sure didn't mean to yank the rug out from underneath anyone.

i'm game to set another date though.  

anybody have a suggestion?
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 1:36:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
i need to apologize to you all.  

i didn't notice that my dad's 'octoberfest' shindig is the same day.  i haven't been able to attend one of these for all of the 7 years he's been doing them.  there's always been something else that was supposedly more important.  my dad is becoming an ol' boy and i question how much longer he's going to do this kind of stuff...

...so...  i had to adjust priorities folks.

i decided to drop this date and instead plan to take my family to spend the day with him and the rest of the fam/neighborhood.  i hope you all understand.  i sure didn't mean to yank the rug out from underneath anyone.

i'm game to set another date though.  

anybody have a suggestion?
View Quote
Do what's right for you and your family. I have no suggestions for a new date.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 1:41:55 PM EDT
[#47]
As long as it's not next weekend(9-30) I'll still try to make it. Wife's youngest sister is getting married-might as well be my little sister too so I kind of have to be there.

Planning to be at the Bonair range outside of Cresco the 29th though, any members who want to come are welcome but keep in mind Howard County wants all users to be registered(free and amounts to a liability waiver, but required)
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#48]
This weekend and next are out for us. Any time after is good for us.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 4:11:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Sounds like there's going to be a bunch of free arfcommers that day, any one want to grab dinner in Ames or DSM?
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 4:14:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Sounds like there's going to be a bunch of free arfcommers that day, any one want to grab dinner in Ames or DSM?
View Quote
Excellent idea!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top