Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2017 10:27:43 AM EDT
Any of you guys around Cedar Rapids IA?

My buddy is going to be recruiting there and looking for some shooting spots.

Shooting clubs for competitions as well.

USPSA, 3 gun etc.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 11:19:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Yep.

Send me a PM and I'll get in touch with him. Shoot with a buddy on pasture ground outside of CR. Not the world's best setup, but it works. Competition around here is sparse. Would be nice to have someone to carpool with.

Indoor USPSA (good in the winter, otherwise meh) in Hiawatha.

Outdoor USPSA requires travel: Ankeny Ikes, West Liberty, Blackhawk, etc. CR USPSA 'CRAPS' used to exist by word of mouth only, then went non-sanctioned and I quit shooting for a while and now I don't know anything about it.

Most of those places also offer IDPA, but that's a whole different can of worms

A few local Ikes/clubs, but mostly Fudd stuff. If he wants to do cool-guy stuff, he can come out to the pasture... Hell, he can do tactical barrel rolls as long as he doesn't shoot me (or the cows).
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 11:52:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Any of you guys around Cedar Rapids IA?

My buddy is going to be recruiting there and looking for some shooting spots.

Shooting clubs for competitions as well.

USPSA, 3 gun etc.
View Quote

You can find all the clubs, matches, ranges, etc for 3-gun, USPSA, IDPA, etc on www.iashooters.org
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 11:14:43 PM EDT
[#3]
There's a range outside Iowa City that my brother likes. Not exactly next door but not a painful drive either. Not sure on the name of the place but it should be easy to find, he found it just randomly asking around. If he makes it this far north have him look me up, the Bonair range outside of Cresco is a nice place to shoot-cleanest unsupervised range I've ever been to. Berms from 35 to 200 yards.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 11:42:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool, thanks guys, I sent him a link to this thread.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 2:56:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 9:54:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Couple of quick corrections/expansions - Matsell Bridge is Linn County, not DNR.  $10 per day or $40 per year fee.

I don't know about "Green Castle," but I presume that what Tigwelder and shack are talking about is the Hawkeye Wildlife Area range, which is run by the Iowa DNR.  It can be an OK place to shoot, or it can be a place where people roll up and start shooting while you're down range changing targets.  It's on a gravel road, the range is all gravel, and there's no shade.  I was there a couple of weekends ago when it was 90 degrees or more, and I was sweating like Nixon.

"Central City gun club" is North Linn Fish and Game, I think the annual fee is $50.  Nice place.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 10:37:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys. He is reading this. Appreciate it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 11:08:14 PM EDT
[#8]
If he should decide to come up to the Bonair range, he will need to register with the county as a user. free, and amounts to little more than a liability waiver, but that's their rule. According to one of the county workers I ran into there, it was a real dump until they added that requirement.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 2:49:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:10:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Since this thread seems knowledgable, can anyone confirm the Amana club now has rifle steel?
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 7:47:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks for the clarification , XDm525Forty

Seems much has changed in the last 10 years, (I'm spoiled, as I do all my shooting now on private farmground).

When did Matsell Bridge change to a pay range?

And yes, "Greencastle" is properly named 'Hawkeye Wildlife Area" these days. Last time I shot there, it was a hole full of trash. Now they have benches?

North Linn @$50 is a deal, a guy I work with is in charge of that up there (or so he says). Guys say it's nice.
View Quote
Matsell went to paid a couple of years ago, they closed it down for a while to rebuild the ranges (the county said they were getting complaints of rounds leaving the range) and when they re-opened they were charging.  I think it's reasonable, it's a nice spot, just not all that easy to get to for me.

Greencastle/Hawkeye sort of has benches, more like metal tables to put your gear on that have a weird swing-out "seat" on them.

I was a member at North Linn one year, got out there once.  Nice facility, always wanted to get out on a Wednesday and shoot trap but just haven't found the time.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:56:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 10:30:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Did your buddy ever move here?

Just had a house near me get bought. They have not one, but two four-door Wranglers and one has a punisher window-hang tag on it (lol). and they brought in a large, rectangular item covered in moving rugs on a flatbed trailer

Seems fitting it would be an arfcommer
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 10:57:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did your buddy ever move here?

Just had a house near me get bought. They have not one, but two four-door Wranglers and one has a punisher window-hang tag on it (lol). and they brought in a large, rectangular item covered in moving rugs on a flatbed trailer

Seems fitting it would be an arfcommer
View Quote
Yes he did. I think he told me they’ve just been going to the indoor range for now.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top