Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 6/19/2017 1:50:32 PM EDT
My wife and I are looking at getting CCW licenses, is there a locally recommended trainer? A lot of what Im seeing is just online courses, is that legit?

Thanks for any advice you can give
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 2:02:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I do both. Check out http://www.cedarvalleyfirearmstraining.com/ for more information. My online course is 100% legit.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 7:28:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup, online is all that's required. I've sent a few people to the 10-8 course since I learned something from it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 7:35:49 PM EDT
[#3]
That's fucking awesome.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 7:38:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm a little shocked, that's awesome. Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 8:08:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Are there any arfcommers than are FFL's in the area? Or at least one you guys like?
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 8:08:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:55:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Join IFC (as you should) and Septic will do your transfers for free.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 12:27:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Join IFC (as you should) and Septic will do your transfers for free.
View Quote
this

ETA: He lives in Baxter, so its not 5 minutes away, but its close enough.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 12:53:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I appreciate the help so far, got a few other questions!

Ok so my wife and I are both going to get our CCL's soon so assuming I/we have that:

No waiting period on purchasing firearms and it waves the NICS check?

What about personal FTF transfers? Do you have to keep any records? No waiting period? Does the other person need a purchase permit if they dont have a CCL?

What about shooting ranges, is Banner Shooting Range decent? Other places?

Any other gun knowledge you can give to a new resident?
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 1:01:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ok so my wife and I are both going to get our CCL's soon so assuming I/we have that:

No waiting period on purchasing firearms and it waves the NICS check?

What about personal FTF transfers? Do you have to keep any records? No waiting period? Does the other person need a purchase permit if they dont have a CCL?

What about shooting ranges, is Banner Shooting Range decent? Other places?

Any other gun knowledge you can give to a new resident?
View Quote
Lots of questions.  
Its called a PTC (permit to carry) in Iowa, not CCL.
No waiting period and waves the NICS check for 5 years.
You should keep records of any personal sales as a cover your ass measure.  The buyer needs to be legal to own the firearm in Iowa and must have permit to purchase or permit to carry for all handguns.
Shooting ranges check out gun range map at https://www.iashooters.org/
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 1:29:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks, I just joined IFC!
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:06:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks, I just joined IFC!
View Quote
thanks for the support!  Iowa Firearms Coalition
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 8:26:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Banner is o.k. No rapid fire, not to far from Des Moines. 100 yds. max, a couple lanes set up for iron spinning targets. I might go this weekend.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:02:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No waiting period on purchasing firearms and it waves the NICS check?  Yup.  Still have to fill out a 4473.

What about personal FTF transfers? Do you have to keep any records? No waiting period? Does the other person need a purchase permit if they dont have a CCL?  You do not have to keep anything.  If you have a C&R, then you know the drill there.  I choose not to keep anything.  The "don't be stupid when selling a gun" rules still apply.  No waiting period.  The other person does need a permit (to carry/purchase) for private handgun sales.  They do not for long gun sales.  

What about shooting ranges, is Banner Shooting Range decent? Other places?  There are a few places around DSM.  I've never shot at a public range here.  I have shot at Colfax, in Van Meter (love that range, waiting for my membership to come around), and a place about an hour south, where non members are allowed for a fee.  The latter 2 go pretty far out (600, and IIRC 850 respectively), Colfax only to 200 I think.  I've heard Banner is ok.  

Any other gun knowledge you can give to a new resident?  Buy more.   And get an 870, that's state law.   
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 11:24:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Great info, thanks Tim and everyone else

My wife and I both have 870's Im not really a shotgun guy, I sold my SLP when I quit doing 3gun. I think Im down to just the 870 and a Winchester 12 Riot.

My addiction is retro AR's Its bad.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 8:49:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 10:03:19 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm way late to the party but if you're interested in a practical shooting class that satisfies the permit requirement, you should look into Bellator Strategic.  The guy's day job is a DSM area LEO, real good guy.  I had to retake a class because I missed the renewal deadline for my permit.  Decided I'd rather take a hands-on class and learn something new instead of go through the motions online - don't regret it one bit.  Learned a lot and discovered skills I didn't know I had.  I plan to take more classes.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 8:53:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Great info, thanks Tim and everyone else

My wife and I both have 870's Im not really a shotgun guy, I sold my SLP when I quit doing 3gun. I think Im down to just the 870 and a Winchester 12 Riot.

My addiction is retro AR's Its bad.
View Quote
Impressive collection sir.  Well done!

Link Posted: 8/1/2017 8:54:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I believe Strongarm66 used to be heavy into retro AR's and may still have one or two of them still.
View Quote
That was one of my past lives.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 10:56:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That was one of my past lives.
View Quote
i may have his "old" collection...  and i may be planning in keeping it until i die and being buried with it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 11:57:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

i may have his "old" collection...  and i may be planning in keeping it until i die and being buried with it.
View Quote
Maybe before you die I can see them
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:40:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Impressive collection sir.  Well done!

View Quote
Agreed. I might look you up when I start my 607 build since we got SBRs legalized.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 10:03:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Agreed. I might look you up when I start my 607 build since we got SBRs legalized.
View Quote
Thanks

607s used to be the most difficult retro build but theres a guy making stocks and another guy making rear handguard caps so its not as hard as it used to me. Ive been assembling parts for years but I keep moving (IL legalized SBR's a few years ago) and havnt wanted to move in the middle of the ridiculous NFA wait time, especially when there was a chance I was going to move to a non-SBR state.

My advice now is call nodak and get on the waiting list for a partial fence lower since they have a long backorder list (assuming you dont want to do an 80% lower)
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top