Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 2/26/2006 6:27:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/26/2006 6:28:31 PM EDT by yammerschooner]
My father started asking me about these:

brownells buffer

and I know absolutely nothing about them. Is there any reason you would want one on a semi-automatic rifle?

Personally, I think he had a good time shooting today and is looking for more toys to add on to his gun. I can't say as I blame him.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:36:03 AM EDT
all they do is buffer or tame and slow, the bolt cycle. you know how shotgunner's like the mercury filled tube in their trap guns? same type of thing. they allow for a fluid type dampening movement that works axially (in line with the bore) rather than radially (around the bore and moving 90 degrees away). as a result of "absorbed" energy they lessen felt recoil.

although they don't actually remove recoil, they do spread it out. a quick "jolt" is turned into a less quick "shove" reward. make sense?

i hear mixed results on these. some guys with standard gas tubes like them, but guys with short tubes that risk cycle problems regardless might be susceptible to problems - this is more speculation than anything else.

if you're looking to remove recoil and don't care about weight... install one of those lead wedges in your A2 trap door stock. they are easily installed and removed and work well. not much to carry around though...

if you want a way around the weight, then buy one or two of the mercury units i referred to and epoxy them into your A2 trap door - same effect on your shoulder, doesn't add much weight and doesn't mess with the bolt cycle...

note my signature/disclaimer...

septic tank

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:50:15 PM EDT
AR's have recoil?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:02:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By yammerschooner:
AR's have recoil?

very little in 5.56/.223, but try another caliber... like i said, they help control and slow rapid fire as well - especially when cyclic.

i'm considering putting one in a 6.5 grendel rifle length unit. might help a little. we'll see. also may help with the 50 beo, 458 socom, etc...

you need to start expanding the AR platform to more than the .223 - just think of the world out there you barely know!!!

septic tank

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:34:54 PM EDT
I never was good at seeing the bigger picture.

Are you going to get that .204 this week?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:45:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By yammerschooner:
I never was good at seeing the bigger picture.

Are you going to get that .204 this week?

Yeah hes gonna get it at the FairGounds in the 4-H building......hehehehehe along with 7000 new N batteries, those might last him about 3 trips to the range........

just playin

Brett
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:37:07 AM EDT
i'll have to call them and see when we can make arrangements to trade cash for product... i have another funeral sometime the end of this week, so i don't have a lot of schedule flexibility like usual. we'll see.

haven't asked wifey about shooting this weekend either.

my grand dad died last week and my best friend's mom died this morning. i would imagine i'll be a casket bearer.

we'll see.

ttfn.

septic tank
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:59:01 AM EDT
Sorry to hear about the second funeral in two weeks.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:24:22 AM EDT
thanks...

what does a guy do? the cycle of life keeps moving regardless of my opinion...

all the more reason to buy more and shoot more - you only go around once!!!

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:51:43 AM EDT
Sorry to hear of the loss. I lost my father on 1/16. It is tough, but yes life goes on and we can honor them by living life to the fullest. We never know when this crazy ride will end.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 6:43:49 PM EDT
Hear of a couple of guys saying they start leaking after a while.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Top Top