Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2006 11:42:17 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:37:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Well..............If it were summer time you could do what the rest of us do, watch the corn grow. Winter limits us to pretty much just watching the occasional snowmobiler drop his sled through the ice. Not as exciting, but still entertaining.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:41:06 PM EDT
[#2]
If you would have posted this on Friday we would have told you that you should come shooting with us on Saturday.

I am kind of a homebody, and don't make it out much, so I can't help you there.  If you are close to downtown after dark you may want to venture a couple of miles south of town so that you can see the city after dark.  Southwest 9th would be a good route.  Once you look on the city from the south of town you will notice that the EMC building looks like a huge bottle of absolute vodka.  You can't miss it.

I don't know as you should go too far out of your way to do this, but it is something kind of neat about the city that people often miss.

Because I don't get out much, I will leave the dining suggestions to someone else.  

Edited to add:  The building itself does not look like a bottle of vodka.  It is a lighting effect.  In order to see it you must be looking at the city AFTER dark.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:23:41 AM EDT
[#3]
look no further.  i'm the king of des moines...  if there is such a thing...  actually if i were the king i'd kick the des moines register out of town, but since i'm the king in my own mind only i'll stick to the entertainment....

as for supper dining - the latin king restaraunt.  located on the intersection or hubbel and university across from the AE dairy.  just look for the AE cow and you're there.  if you like chicken get the chicken speidini amagio or the fetuccine - both excellent.  if you like steak and prefer medium or more rare go with the steak de burgo - when asked for the potato go with american fries with cheese and onion...  salad dressing - house...  you can dress up or not.  it doesn't matter.  you'll see people in suits and people in baseball caps.  the owner, bobby tursi is a personal friend of mine - nice guy - super place!

downtown dining - the olympic flame.  west of the capital building a couple blocks.  greek food and good stuff.  every item on the menu is great.  get the "flaming cheese" as an appetizer.  it's not spicy - its on fire when delivered - fun...  crappy little place, but good food.

southside dining - noodles on SW 9th.  good cheap italian.  cafe/diner type place with good cheap eats.

soutside dining - barattas.  italian food and steak located on south union just north of park.  a lot like the latin king.  personal friends of bobby tursi and relation too i think...  same format as latin king.

downtown dining - la trattoria on 4th north of court 50 feet - located in the basement...  great food, great atmosphere, great bartender and close to everything downtown...

west side dining is mostly chains and such.  there are some good ones in the mix.

hope this is a start.  the science center of iowa near olympic flame is fun and the art museum on grand out by 40th is free.  nice stuff and lots of fun.  

im me if you want.  i have plenty more.  

septic tank

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:54:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top