Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 1/17/2006 10:50:29 AM EDT
This has been a real goofy winter! I remember some people at work telling me; "This will be the worst winter we've seen in 30 years"! Saw some snow in December and a few flurries today, but nothing like years past.
I remember as a kid, there was snow from Nov to March and who could forget April of '73. I remember walking over fences at the farm because snow had drifted over them!
I know that February and March can still get nasty; but shit, it is the middle of Jan and people are out shooting in 50-60 degree weather. I remember a couple years ago, breaking in a Glock 34 on New Years day. Would like to take the nephew out and cap a few 'yotes and rabbits. Oh well, maybe next year............
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:27:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Milldude:
who could forget April of '73....

wasn't born yet....

hee hee...

septic tank

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:47:16 PM EDT
Sounds like use lucky people in SE Iowa are going to get dumpped on this weekend. Any where from 8 to 10 inchs some places are saying but hay its going to be 50 degrees here tomarrow just got to love Iowa's weather "If you don't like it just wait a day or two and it will change 100%"

As for 1973 snow i was one years old i don't rember that one.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:52:46 PM EDT
Damned! Stop it, you guys are making me feel old. Actually, I was only 5 at the time. It was kind of one of those things you don't forget. 8-10 inches this weekend? Maybe I'd better be careful what I wish for. (or rant about)
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:07:54 PM EDT
Hey , Milldude, I was 5 too!! I can remember digging snow caves in the 5-6 foot drifts in our front yard because we HAD drifts! I get so sick of people these days complaining about "all the snow we get". 4-6 inches in one blow, it's gone in three days and everybody is whinin' and moanin'. I don't even think we have had three days worth of below zero temps this year!!!

I am so SICK of BROWN!! I joked with my cousin a few weeks back about an OLD worn out pair of brown (now a mottled tannish color) carhart coveralls i got and how they were actually the PERFECT Iowa "winter" camoflage. I bet the millitary desert patterns would work real well right now.

Craig
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:07:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 8:08:16 PM EDT by Milldude]
Yeah the drifts were awesome!!! We were snowed in for about a week before the plows got to us. It was great. My Mom has pics packed away of the drifts. I will try to go over and find them.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:33:33 PM EDT
I wasn't born in '73, but I do remember a heck of a storm in 1985 around Thanksgiving. My parents drove us to Iowa City from DesMoines to celebrate with family and we got snowed in for a day. I remember when we got back home the snow had drifted off of the roof and created a tunnel to the front door. That was sooo awesome as a kid!

My parents have pictures from a blizzard, maybe the 1973 one, where the county snow trucks had to borrow the railroads snow throwers to clear the streets.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:28:15 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:58:06 PM EDT
Hey... SNOW!!!!! got about an inch and a half here. sure wish i could get out in the morning and hunt some yotes! figures- used to be my life would get put on hold for a good trackin' snow... now I got other MO IMPOTANT SPONSIBILITIES!

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:02:33 PM EDT
Don't you love Iowa weather?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:31:21 PM EDT
Page Hometown » Iowa
Top Top