Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2016 6:18:20 PM EDT
Afternoon gents,

Lady friend and I were planning on making a 4 night 5 day trip up to your corner of SD from just outside of Denver. We intend to camp the entirety of the trip, and are both pretty avid back packers. Any tips on spots, trails, or campgrounds in those two? Would like to hit them both ideally! This trip would be in mid August.

Thanks for the help!

Bakke
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 7:56:31 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a bit of a drive from the badlands but there are some great campsites in spearfish canyon in the northern blackhills. I stayed there a few weeks ago and saw lots of people hiking, I didn't really have time to do any myself.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 1:15:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Sturgis Rally is Aug 8-14 so be aware space is tough to find before, during and after.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 1:16:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Badlands can be really hot in August. A hotel in Wall named Sunrise or Sunset is nice enough place to stay.

More power to you if you choose to camp in the heat. We have and do, but if not prepared it really sucks.

ETA: Ya, Sturgis Rally makes accommodations tough.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 10:59:50 AM EDT
[#4]
You could try this, probably 30 min drive to any kind of store. First come, first serve, no reservations.

Sage Creek Campground

Bison often wander through this primitive campground, located on the west side of the park's North Unit, near the Badlands Wilderness Area. Access is located off of the Sage Creek Rim Road, an unpaved road that may temporarily close after winter storms and spring rains. The road provides limited turnarounds for large recreational vehicles. Camping is free of charge. Pit toilets and covered picnic tables are available, but no water is available on-site. Sites at the Sage Creek Campground are available on a first-come, first-served basis and rarely fill to capacity. A portion of the Sage Creek Campground is designated for horse use.

My roughing it plan would be a cheap hotel with lousy wifi. In that spirit, Black Hills State U rents out dorm rooms by the week.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:06:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Sage Creek area is really nice, and a great way to experience the Badlands.

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:19:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sage Creek area is really nice, and a great way to experience the Badlands.

View Quote

Probably a 20+ minute drive from more rugged hiking, which while not any sort of "trail", are perfectly legal for one to hike. The Badlands suffer from so much natural erosion, that you are not restricted to trails, since your footprints will be wiped away soon anyway.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:33:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I just got back. Camped in Custer SP and it was great. Need to make reservations 60-90 days in advance though. They have some sweet cabins. We stayed in a cabin one night. Just beds and a roof, but you dont have to pitch a tent.

Book your candellight tour of wind cave in advance. Its awesome
Hit the Rankin Ridge fire tower Trail north of the cave. Decent view and easy climb

Mount Coolidge is a good view and you drive right up to the top.

Jewel Cave was worth it. Get out there early to get your tickets. There is also a nice hike through the canyons out there.

Mount Rushmore was Meh, lots of people

Drive the needles

There are lots of breweries up there.

As said before August is motorcycle month
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 8:26:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Two women from Virginia got lost in the badlands by Sage Creek last night.

Or thats the story I heard.

ETA: Vermont.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 8:40:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Wind Cave is worthwhile to stop and tour. Bear Country is fun for kids, just keep windows up. Badlands fossil walk is interesting. Wife and I discovered a freshly uncovered fossil skull once, cool!!

The bike rally really turns the Hills into a zoo IMHO.

Hot Springs: the Mammoth Dig is very interesting and I highly recommend it if you're interested in that type of stuff.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 11:39:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wind Cave is worthwhile to stop and tour. Bear Country is fun for kids, just keep windows up. Badlands fossil walk is interesting. Wife and I discovered a freshly uncovered fossil skull once, cool!!

The bike rally really turns the Hills into a zoo IMHO.

Hot Springs: the Mammoth Dig is very interesting and I highly recommend it if you're interested in that type of stuff.
View Quote

Some of us like the zoo.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top