Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2016 2:35:41 PM EDT
I'm planning to head to South Dakota with my kids this summer for a few days.  We'll stay in Rapid City and visit things in the area as day trips from Rapid City.  We will get up early to attempt to beat the crowds.  

Are these places on the way worth visiting (I can remember visiting them as a kid, 40+ years ago): Wall Drug, Corn Palace?

Should I skip any of these places?  On the list are: Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse Monument, Custer State Park, Hot Springs Mammoth Site, Rapid City Dinosaur Park, Badlands National Park, Minute Man Monument, Wind Cave National Park, Storybook Island, South Dakota Air and Space Museum.  

Any other attractions I should consider?  

Is a trip to Deadwood worthwhile?  

Any recommendations on where to stay?
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 9:31:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm planning to head to South Dakota with my kids this summer for a few days.  We'll stay in Rapid City and visit things in the area as day trips from Rapid City.  We will get up early to attempt to beat the crowds.  

Are these places on the way worth visiting (I can remember visiting them as a kid, 40+ years ago): Wall Drug, Corn Palace?they are both pretty meh. Id rather have more time in the hills than to stop at these

Should I skip any of these places?  On the list are: Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse Monument, Custer State Park, Hot Springs Mammoth Site, Rapid City Dinosaur Park, Badlands National Park, Minute Man Monument, Wind Cave National Park, Storybook Island, South Dakota Air and Space Museum.  

Any other attractions I should consider?  I think the historic fish hatchery in spearfish is cool. Pretty park and never too crowded. Id suggest hitting that in spearfish(crow peak brewery is there too and has great BBQ in their old brew house) then take the Spearfish canyon drive and stop at various parts of the stream/falls to get out and hike around). You'll end up in deadwood and can take that in too

I like Canyon lake too on the edge of Rapid to walk around. Very pretty lake and fun easy fishing. You can continue on that road out of town through rimrock canyon then when you hit the T intersection hang a left and your at Pactola which is also very pretty and good for a swim or fishing.

Is a trip to Deadwood worthwhile?  Its pretty cool. The cemetery tour was pretty interesting and Lead is just a short 5 minutes away to see the big open face mine.

Any recommendations on where to stay? Rapid is nice as a bounce point. It requires a 20 minute drive to most places(pactola/hill city/sturgis/etc but its convenient and offers the most dining options.  The Rushmore (formally adoba) is kind of funky(crazy wallpaper and modern styling) and usually the cheapest decent place Ill stay.  The marriott residence inn is the nicest Ive stayed at in Box Elder but that tacks another 10 minutes onto your drive since its far east rapid. It will also be $200+ night conservatively in peak season(Ive stayed for 60-80 in winter months).  They are next to the big indoor water park too but Ive never been and dont have kids.

Hilton Garden Inn is also fairly new and nice

If you get out of Rapid you can sometimes pay less but rooms are limited. Unfortunately peak season really gets peak prices out there.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:23:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you!
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:36:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Crazy Horse is not worth the price of admission IMHO
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 9:49:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Crazy horse is dumb skip that

Go to Hill City on your way to or from Mt Rushmore, a little out of the way but worth it IMO, eat at the Alpine Inn for some boss German food, then walk down the block to the Black Hill Institute to check out a great collection of fossils and dinosaur stuff. They are the ones that found "Sue" the biggest and most complete T-Rex ever, and got royally F*$@ed by the government. There is also a pretty good brewery and winery in Hill City if thats your thing.

Hopefully you get lucky when at Ellsworth, the last 3 times I was there the B1's were out flying around it was awesome!
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:09:22 AM EDT
[#5]
How old are the kids?
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:55:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Crazy horse is dumb skip that

Go to Hill City on your way to or from Mt Rushmore, a little out of the way but worth it IMO, eat at the Alpine Inn for some boss German food, then walk down the block to the Black Hill Institute to check out a great collection of fossils and dinosaur stuff. They are the ones that found "Sue" the biggest and most complete T-Rex ever, and got royally F*$@ed by the government. There is also a pretty good brewery and winery in Hill City if thats your thing.

Hopefully you get lucky when at Ellsworth, the last 3 times I was there the B1's were out flying around it was awesome!
View Quote

I hit them too when they were flying my last 2 trips.  One floated right over me when it went over the highway. Couldnt have timed it more perfectly if I tried but that was pretty bad ass.

Forgot to mention I love Philly Teds too in Rapid.  Its a dive inside so get your sandwiches to go. Cheaper eating and I think they are fantastic. If you like HOT they have legit ghost pepper sauce too that is put you on your ass hot(and Im very used to hot food). Killer on their phillys. Grab them then drive to Canyon Lake which is usually what we do.

Tallys Silver Spoon/Independent House of Ale(no kids)/Sanfords Grub and Pub/Que Pasa/The Armadillo for ice cream/Firehouse Brewery/Murphys are just a few of my favorite food spots
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:02:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Storybook Island is suffering from the city completely renovating the street in front of it. I would skip it. I would also skip Crazy Horse. The mammoth site in Hot Springs is worth the trip. It is about 50 minutes south of Rapid City.

Seconded for Armadillo's. Best ice cream in Rapid City. It's where most of us locals go. You will probably have to stand in a small line though and they have rotating flavors of the week.

Also, choose your dates of visit wisely. There are a few things that happen here every summer that either ramp up hotel/motel prices or make rooms just unobtainable.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 2:27:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How old are the kids?
View Quote

8 and 13.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 10:06:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Our kids enjoyed Wind Cave.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 3:18:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the input.  We just got back.  Great trip.  

Stayed in Rapid City in the Comfort Suites at exit 62, which was a fantastic hotel (great breakfast, comfortable beds, fast WiFi).  

In Rapid we saw the Dinosaur Park and Storybook Island--excellent free local attractions.  Also saw the Air and Space Museum near Ellsworth.  It's free and very worthwhile.  On the drive there a B-1 flew right over and it shook the car. Went to Pirate's Cove mini golf and golfed behind a group of open-carriers.  

One day we left early and saw Mt. Rushmore (definitely take the trail along the foot of the mountain and visit the artist's studio).  We drove the Iron Mountain Highway into Custer SP and took the wildlife loop.  Fed the wild burros and got caught in a buffalo herd which camped out on the road and jammed traffic for 45 minutes.  Went south to Wind Cave and took a short cave tour and drove to Hot Springs and saw the mammoth dig site.  

Second day we drove to Devil's Tower, which was again an excellent stop.  It was hot and we didn't hike much there but I'd like to return in better weather and hike around the rock.  The same day we visited the Booth Fish Hatchery which the kids really enjoyed, especially feeding the trout.  We took the Spearfish Canyon drive and came out via Lead and Deadwood.  

Had great steaks two different nights at Golden Corral of all places!  Pizza Ranch was disappointing.  

On the way home we stopped for a few minutes at Wall Drug, and it was worth it to see a gigantic tourist trap.  We also stopped at the Lewis and Clark Museum at the rest area off I-90 on the Missouri River.  

Overall, very impressed with South Dakota!
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 4:05:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Glad you had a good time we like spearfish canyon and Booth Fish Hatchery.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:58:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Glad you liked it. Spearfish and the canyon are beautiful areas.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 9:46:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Loved Spearfish canyon, we camped at Rod and Gun primitive campground.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top