Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2017 4:22:53 PM EDT
Gf and bf, living together for a couple years. Broke up. Bf refuses to come by and get his stuff, insists it's still his house and he can come and go as he pleases. Gf owns the house, all utilities in her name and check stubs prove she's paying the bills.

Bf flat out refused to act like an adult. We've been trying to communicate through the adults in his family to coordinate getting his stuff moved. Him and his grandpa were supposed to come by today, bf blew it off and sent a text saying 'Fuck you, it's my house too. My stuff can stay there.' There hasn't been any confrontations in person.

What are the left and right limits on what we can do, legally, to get his stuff out and make sure he knows to stay away?
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 8:37:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Garage sale?
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:50:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I am not a lawyer, but wonder if she would have to go through a legal eviction process ?
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 11:50:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Start the eviction process
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 2:22:56 AM EDT
[#4]
http://courts.mi.gov/Administration/SCAO/Forms/courtforms/dc100c.pdf

To the best of my knowledge, basically he's treated as a renter whether you like it or not. So serve a notice to quit (above).

ETA: if he has behaved in a threatening manner, she can file for a PPO as well, but from your brief description that doesn't seem to apply (yet). Assuming he has the address on his license, and/or receives mail there, I doubt any law enforcement will do anything other than recommend initiating eviction process.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 3:00:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Start the eviction process
View Quote
This is your answer.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 7:29:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Another answer of "start the eviction process".
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 7:31:04 AM EDT
[#7]
has he ever paid for anything?
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 6:24:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I had my landlady evict me to get rid of my hag. Then I moved in with the landlady with a boat
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:36:07 AM EDT
[#9]
A very Fun Story at that.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 4:18:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am not a lawyer, but wonder if she would have to go through a legal eviction process ?
View Quote
she would.

J-
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 4:19:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
has he ever paid for anything?
View Quote
in michigan it doesnt matter, nor does being on a lease/mortgage paper etc.

J-
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 5:22:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys, but it doesn't matter. They're getting back together.

I'm half convinced that the whole breakup was just to get dad and me to come over and spend 2 days cleaning out her garage and to get my parents to pay off some of her bills.

Life in Huron county...
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 1:26:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

in michigan it doesnt matter, nor does being on a lease/mortgage paper etc.

J-
View Quote
So if that is true, then i vividly recall you being my room mate and i stayed in your house for a while.

since no documentation or any commitment has to happen in your opinion, im entitled to your shit or you'll have to evict me now.

Got any steaks in the freezer?  I'm feeling a bit hungry
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 7:40:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

So if that is true, then i vividly recall you being my room mate and i stayed in your house for a while.

since no documentation or any commitment has to happen in your opinion, im entitled to your shit or you'll have to evict me now.

Got any steaks in the freezer?  I'm feeling a bit hungry
View Quote
Sure come over and see what happens.

Look up squatters rights as this is what Michigan courts use in these situations. If you completely abandon the property and take all or your property they the owners/renter etc is good, but if you refused to leave or leave but you have property left at the location you must be evicted for it to be all legal. I own property in the UP and my neighbor spend 6 months evicting a guy that just came along and parked a camper on his land like it was his. Stupid as shit but thats how it is in Michigan. There has been some changes in the last few years with regards to straight up sqautting but still need to evict someone that you have allowed to live in your residence, lease or no lease.

As for my steaks etc being a room mate etc does not nor ever has entitled anyone to another persons personal property contained with in the dwelling.

The big thing during the foreclosure crisis was people moving into foreclosed houses and living there for months before the bank had any idea and then it took up to 6 months to evict them.

Been dealing with this shit for 23 years as a cop and it is a pain the in the ass.

J-
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:03:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The big thing during the foreclosure crisis was people moving into foreclosed houses and living there for months before the bank had any idea and then it took up to 6 months to evict them.

Been dealing with this shit for 23 years as a cop and it is a pain the in the ass.

J-
View Quote
That happened quite a bit in Metro Detroit during the recession. It's amazing that laws haven't been amended to allow forcible eviction much more quickly. I should be able to drag squatters out of my property immediately if I can show proof of ownership.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:39:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That happened quite a bit in Metro Detroit during the recession. It's amazing that laws haven't been amended to allow forcible eviction much more quickly. I should be able to drag squatters out of my property immediately if I can show proof of ownership.
View Quote
It was. Michigan actually has decent squatters laws, but there's exceptions for renters. Unmarried cohabitation falls in the grey area.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:55:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Sure come over and see what happens.

Look up squatters rights as this is what Michigan courts use in these situations. If you completely abandon the property and take all or your property they the owners/renter etc is good, but if you refused to leave or leave but you have property left at the location you must be evicted for it to be all legal. I own property in the UP and my neighbor spend 6 months evicting a guy that just came along and parked a camper on his land like it was his. Stupid as shit but thats how it is in Michigan. There has been some changes in the last few years with regards to straight up sqautting but still need to evict someone that you have allowed to live in your residence, lease or no lease.

As for my steaks etc being a room mate etc does not nor ever has entitled anyone to another persons personal property contained with in the dwelling.

J-
View Quote
Oh I meant "roommates" as in

Haha
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 7:58:16 AM EDT
[#18]
BF would have right but he would not have any ownership
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top