Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2017 11:47:53 PM EDT
Building a new AR 'pistol' (10.5"). OAL from end of buffer tube to tip of barrel threads is 25.5". With flash hider installed it is over 26" but the FH is NOT pinned or welded. Is this good to go as a pistol under current (post 2013) law with the flash hider installed or would it be considered just a firearm being over 26"? I've searched and seen conflicting info. I'd like to keep it a pistol for transportation reasons under my CPL.
I know back in the day if it wasn't pinned and welded it did not count towards the OAL, not sure if that changed when the law was updated to remove "Michigan pistols".
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:17:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Check MGO legal beagle for the current opinion on this.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:13:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
That's where I got the conflicting info. One post says OAL is measured with it on, and another says that the MSP legislative division says to measure in it's shortest fire-able configuration without the muzzle device (and brace if applicable). All posts were from a few years ago, I was hoping there was something more tangible by now. Clear as mud unless I missed something more recent. Looks like I'll RI-60 it with a thread protector and put the FH on when not transporting, I'll be covered either way at least.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 7:36:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
That's where I got the conflicting info. One post says OAL is measured with it on, and another says that the MSP legislative division says to measure in it's shortest fire-able configuration without the muzzle device (and brace if applicable). All posts were from a few years ago, I was hoping there was something more tangible by now. Clear as mud unless I missed something more recent. Looks like I'll RI-60 it with a thread protector and put the FH on when not transporting, I'll be covered either way at least.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IANAL, but my reading of the MI law does not provide a defined legal definition of how to measure a pistol. I am quite familiar with MI's firearms laws, and the law does not describe how to measure or whether or not to count removable muzzle devices. There may be an MSP legal update on the matter, but that is only an interpretation of the law. That's not to say a judge couldn't rule the opposite.

IMHO, the first person that's going to get you in trouble for it is the LEO that stops you while carrying it. He will likely be unfamiliar with the MSP legal updates, and most likely will not let you unscrew your muzzle device before he measures. At that point he will cite you for improper transportation of a firearm and you'll have to dig your way out of it through the courts.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 1:51:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

IANAL, but my reading of the MI law does not provide a defined legal definition of how to measure a pistol. I am quite familiar with MI's firearms laws, and the law does not describe how to measure or whether or not to count removable muzzle devices. There may be an MSP legal update on the matter, but that is only an interpretation of the law. That's not to say a judge couldn't rule the opposite.

IMHO, the first person that's going to get you in trouble for it is the LEO that stops you while carrying it. He will likely be unfamiliar with the MSP legal updates, and most likely will not let you unscrew your muzzle device before he measures. At that point he will cite you for improper transportation of a firearm and you'll have to dig your way out of it through the courts.
View Quote
That's the problem really. It isn't codified in law. IIRC we are at the mercy of whoever writes the MSP manuals. You can always post and ask for the current opinion also.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:02:32 PM EDT
[#5]
You could get an STD in the process also.
STD

A phase 5 RE will put you over with a 10.5

I used an ebay special RE and it came out 1/8" under 26"
Good Luck
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 2:07:28 PM EDT
[#6]
If you already have the RE, you could file the slot for the buffer retainer in a bit , maybe 3/16" to lose some length, or go to a shorter buffer spring and grind 1/4" off the threads to lose even more length.

You may ruin the RE this way, but it's better than running into a rural deputy that wants to make quota.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:48:36 PM EDT
[#7]
My understanding was it being measured without the flash hider as it is not required to shoot with it on. But then again, i'm no expert.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:19:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My understanding was it being measured without the flash hider as it is not required to shoot with it on. But then again, i'm no expert.
View Quote
That's how I read it also.
What about the rural deputy that is using a measuring tape and just measures the whole thing? You still need to make bond,then pay for a mouthpiece,miss work.blah,blah,blah.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:20:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Just put a thread protector on and call it a day.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:09:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just put a thread protector on and call it a day.
View Quote
That's what I did. The PSA tube I went with was shorter than expected, ended up at 25 1/4" without the FH. I don't plan on carrying it but it's nice to have the option if the need arises, even if just taking it to the range.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:01:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Register it to be safe, just keep that in mind if you choose to carry it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top