Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/17/2017 11:23:49 AM EDT
I talked to an RSO at South Kent Sportsmans Club in Dorr where I am a member, and was told if I get a group of guys, then just have it be a manageable size. If its 40-50 we may need to ask the board and just have someone extra RSO which is fine too.

Its a fun club with everything open aside from the 500m range. I would say we should do a few all purpose bunkers with some steel and then see if we move over to the 100-200m range all the way south of the club on the map. Maybe something later in august or september?

What works for people, who all would be down to do this? They are also machine fun friendly if we call allegan county and tell them we have registered auto toys at the range. The range is private and member owned, but the PD likes to know everythings "good"

Attachment Attached File

Here's the area I'm thinking of sticking around

Attachment Attached File

Poll added, select all that works for you!

Edit 1

Lets plan on Sunday, October 1st with a tentative rain date for October 15th. Time will be figured out in the next few weeks or as more people vote. If we do it starting around noon, it gives east siders a few hours to get here without being up at 6a so maybe noon would be a good time
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:41:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd be interested. Trauma  call schedule dependent.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 2:20:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Hell yes, I have a "MOA Targets" 8" gong with (4) 4" gongs on a stand, and am ordering a 12" gong and stand to use for further work with rifles or just another pistol target
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 3:13:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like a blast.  I'd be down depending on which weekend.

ETA Availability: any weekend except Sept 8-10, Oct 20-22, Dec 1-3
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 3:16:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I might be able to make it, and bring my NRA RSO credentials along
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 3:24:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I might be able to make it, and bring my NRA RSO credentials along
View Quote
NRA RSO credentials would more than likely perfectly suffice!

What days or weekends would everybody be able to make it? Throw out some availability and we can go from there! Saturdays or sundays are both cool and open to times

edit: Ill also be bringing a sparrow ss on my ruger 10/22 and browning buckmark, a osprey 45 with pistons for my g17 (13.5x1L) and hk45t (16x1L), and hybrid with dead air mounts on ar's and ak if anyone wants to shoot those, just bring some factory ammo to run
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 3:34:46 PM EDT
[#6]
double tap
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 6:31:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm in. Never turned down a range invite.

Work nights too, so most any day would work for me lol.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:15:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I might be down. Set a date and I'll see if it works around my schedule.

I'm two miles from the Detroit river,  so it might take a minute to get over there.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:50:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I would try to make it, but would probably not be able to commit until less than a week out.

I bought my New Holland tractor in Dorr.  I think I'm about 35-40 miinutes away, but the construction industry sucks for trying to make plans during the Summer.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:20:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Im interested.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 12:20:57 AM EDT
[#11]
i'd go, i usually shoot @ caledonia sports man's club and i'm a member @ kent conservation league.

i prefer caledonia over the latter since if nobody else is on the rifle line i can shoot without ears.. kccl isn't quite that supresser/no ears friendly

i'd definitely be up to a trip to south kent
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 12:53:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Ost for the newbie. If I can make it I'll go!
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 8:00:47 AM EDT
[#13]
My weekend schedule is pretty open.  I live down by Buchanan, so it's about a 2 hour drive.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 12:59:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Poll is up! Add whatever dates or times as works for you. These dates are open trap and skeet at 10a, so the front gate will be open and I will be able to get you in the other gate. Other weekends could work, but will close the 1-200 ranges to the south, or pistol match bays, so I am just leary of lane availability which is why I picked these dates
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 1:03:40 PM EDT
[#15]
50BMG on the 200?
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 1:20:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I believe 50 is good to go, but will be checking with the rso I deal with for certain
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 7:40:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I am in. Range time is always good.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 10:38:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Sunday, October 1st with a tentative rain date for October 15th. Does noon work for most to make way for drive time?

Heres some stuff I pulled off of the website to answer some questions

On full auto

You must call the Allegan County Sheriffs Department (269-673-3899) BEFORE you begin shooting and let them know that legally registered machine guns will be in use at SKSC. In order to be kind to our neighbors, please limit your range use to the period after 12:00 p.m. and finish before 5:00 p.m. Shooters shall take extra precautions to control muzzle-rise and be sure all projectiles stop in the lower half of the back-stop.
Shoot no more than 5-round bursts at a time. Sub-machine-guns using straight-wall center-fire pistol cartridges may be used on any center-fire range or bunker. The back-stop MUST be taller than you are! The 2 Southern-most general-purpose bunkers should be used for machine guns in order to limit the damage these firearms cause to our back-stops.
View Quote
On BMG

Q: Which ranges can I use for center-fire rifles? A: Here is a simple answer:  If the back-stop you are shooting at is taller that you are, then you may use any rifle or pistol.  If the back-stop is shorter than you, then it is for .22 rim-fire rifle or pistols ONLY!
View Quote
On Targets

Q: What are the rules for proper targets at SKSC?
A: The best way to answer this is with a few examples:

Right Targets:
Paper  (paper plates make great cheap targets)
Cardboard, cardboard & wood lathe and cardboard boxes
Swinging (metal) targets
But be very careful of ricochets
Tin cans are OK, but must be picked up when you’re done
Watch out for sharp edges
Wrong Targets:
Anything that breaks or shatters  (example: glass, clay targets)
Anything flammable or explosive  (example: propane tanks)
Anything that may cause a ricochet off the range
Don't shoot our barrels,  posts or rails
Clean up your mess when you are done!
View Quote
This is what the smaller general purpose bays look like give or take except general purpose are a bit wider. The bay in the picture is the back side where they host competitions but you get the idea (without the match targets set up, no targets are provided, but most ranges have an area to hang and staple paper targets to). Will get some accurate photos in the next week when I get back out there

Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I might make the drive from Mackinaw City to meet some fellow arfcommers.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 11:40:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Brought the lady and her little guy out today to see if the new build runs. Sure does...

This is one of the lanes on the west side of the road, overflow area if you will. There is about 8-9 of these little 30m all purpose bunkers on the overflow side to add to the 6 wider main ones on the east side of the road. I'd probably opt us to the overflow side with better parking and more area to shoot

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 12:25:22 AM EDT
[#21]
I'd be interested.  Any weekend should be good.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 7:58:31 PM EDT
[#22]
I wish I would have seen this sooner. I'm definitely interested, but I'll probably have to miss this event since October 1 is opening day of bow season
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 10:03:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Well shit, clearly i'm not a bow hunter... Hopefully it doesn't screw things up but maybe next spring we will do one a little more out of hunting season
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 11:21:01 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm an hour and a half away from South Kent and will attend provided I don't have a scheduling conflict.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 4:07:53 PM EDT
[#25]
@azoutdoorsman - It's a bit of a drive, but thought you might be interested.

@coctailer - I know you're not too far from here.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 4:55:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 12:52:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Sunday, October 1st with a tentative rain date for October 15th
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:31:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Two hours away and I have the day off. I can likely be there.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:51:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Bump
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:57:54 PM EDT
[#30]
What course of fire is being planned? It makes a difference on what I bring. Shotgun? SBR? Carbines? Long range - 500+ yards. Handguns? .22 LR?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:45:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What course of fire is being planned? It makes a difference on what I bring. Shotgun? SBR? Carbines? Long range - 500+ yards. Handguns? .22 LR?
View Quote
You can run shotgun on the 25, if you want to you can run it on 100 and 200m. Sbr, anything goes. Preferably keep it off my steel unless you're past 50m but 25m bays and 100-200m perfectly gtg, same for carbines. The 500 is closed for us as it is being arranged with new rules and rso's. Handguns on 25m, 22lr has small berms down the 100m lanes.

What I was thinking, is starting on the 25m all purpose areas with pistols on steel, and then working towards the 100-200m lanes after an hour or two. I have no rhyme or reason, i'm not too tactical but have fun shit. I am totally open to what you guys want to do.

What do you feel like? Throw some ideas out there
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:58:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You can run shotgun on the 25, if you want to you can run it on 100 and 200m. Sbr, anything goes. Preferably keep it off my steel unless you're past 50m but 25m bays and 100-200m perfectly gtg, same for carbines. The 500 is closed for us as it is being arranged with new rules and rso's. Handguns on 25m, 22lr has small berms down the 100m lanes.

What I was thinking, is starting on the 25m all purpose areas with pistols on steel, and then working towards the 100-200m lanes after an hour or two. I have no rhyme or reason, i'm not too tactical but have fun shit. I am totally open to what you guys want to do.

What do you feel like? Throw some ideas out there
View Quote
i'm planning on bringing a couple .22lr's w/deadair masks, tavor w/specwar 556, cz scorpion sbr w/octane  
i can't decide on a shitty stevens pump i had threaded to use with my salvo 12, or the vepr 12 i'm still trying to find someone to cut down since it's an sbr without the sb currently..can also run the salvo on it

anybody is welcome to shoot anything i bring.. i'mma bring some ammo but if someone wants to shoot the shit outta something, bringing some ammo would be appreciated..

need a consensus on the vepr12 w/salvo vs. stevens pump w/salvo
i'll also bring the mossberg and benelli mobil choke sets for it, so if someone wants to try it on their shotgun, more than welcome to as long as it takes those chokes
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 6:14:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Is there a range fee for non-members? What sort of target backers do they have, portable or fixed? Do we need to bring our own backers? I have plenty of targets.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 11:03:27 AM EDT
[#34]
It is not a public range but as a member I can have a group with me as long as it is manageable size. That size goes up or down depending on familiarity with guns etc. I will have to have everyone meet up at the clubhouse area and I will use my scan card to get everyone in.  Target backers are 2x4 frames you can staple to, and many have rubber conveyor belt to staple to. They are "portable" but fixed to distance from the berm being 1m to control ricochets. I will be at the range tomorrow am, and will try to get a bunch of photos of the backstops, the 25s and the 100-200, target stands etc
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 9:36:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Just trying to establish what I need to bring. I have plenty of targets, staples, push pins.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 5:31:29 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm down. Just let me know when and where at the range.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:50:11 PM EDT
[#37]
This sounds great. Thanks for setting it up OP! Unfortunately, I'm unable to attend this one. Please keep me in mind for next spring. I have a few toys I'd share too!

Have a great time everyone!
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 5:45:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I wish I would have seen this sooner. I'm definitely interested, but I'll probably have to miss this event since October 1 is opening day of bow season
View Quote
Probably why it's an open date?

It's an hour South from me.
I can be there at 09:30 until whenever I can get a Home Heath Aide to stay and watch Mum
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 9:22:38 PM EDT
[#39]
I was just there a couple weeks ago with a old co worker. Its a very nice place.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 12:29:04 AM EDT
[#40]
I'd love to come along.  It'll be work and wife dependent on whether I can actually go.

It's about a 2hr 45min drive from the Detroit area (per google maps), so if anyone else from over this way is going, it'd be awesome to drive together.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 8:12:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Pretty cool of you to set this up, OP.

Link Posted: 9/7/2017 7:49:33 PM EDT
[#42]
As I won't be able to attend, let me express my thanks to the OP for setting up the event; and the wishes that the weather is good, and a safe and enjoyable time is had by all.

If there is another such event in the future, I will try to make it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 9:56:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Subtract one person from the poll (me).  I will not be able to make it now

Post pics, and have fun everyone!
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 12:50:27 PM EDT
[#44]
A quick update,

I'm still thinking we snag a 25m or two for a little while and move over to the rim fire 100 and 100/200m range for some rifle work

This is what the 25 looks like

Attachment Attached File

I am coordinating with an RSO at the club to try to gain access to the 500m also. I don't want to make promises, but looks like it will be on the radar.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 7:00:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Sounds like a plan.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 7:34:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I am coordinating with an RSO at the club to try to gain access to the 500m also. I don't want to make promises, but looks like it will be on the radar.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:23:50 PM EDT
[#47]
What time are we meeting at the club house?
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:30:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'd love to come along.  It'll be work and wife dependent on whether I can actually go.

It's about a 2hr 45min drive from the Detroit area (per google maps), so if anyone else from over this way is going, it'd be awesome to drive together.
View Quote
Work schedule is out, and I am working Sunday 01OCT. 

Maybe next time.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:31:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Lets meet at noon, and plan on going in around 12:15 and try to get stragglers in as needed

Next time I'll try to pick a date in the spring a ways out, and see how this one goes and tweak it next year. Also, can figure out a restaurant around there and grab food on the way out if we want
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 9:22:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Just got a call this morning on a new job. I start this weekend. 12 hour days, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. I'm unable to attend. Enjoy the company and be safe. I would like to know how it works out.

Thanks Shortbus for putting it together.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top