Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2017 5:00:23 PM EDT
Hello everyone. I am planning on building a 12'x24' shed at my house in southeast Michigan. I am trying to decide the best way to build the foundation. I am considering 2 options right now. The first plan, I was going to dig post holes below the frost line and place 4X4s secured with concrete. I would then build the frame for the floor and secure it to the 4x4s. The second plan, I was considering making a frame with 4x4s and lay them parallel to the ground. I would lay the frame on a bed of crushed limestone that has been compacted. I am leaning toward the post hole and concrete idea since I want to avoid any shifting with changes in the ground during the winter months. What have you guys done with your sheds or what is your advice? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 10:09:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I originally built my 12x16 on blocks.

It was fine for 7 or 8 years, until I moved it to a concrete pad and put a garage in it's place.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 1:04:48 AM EDT
[#2]
better check with the building authority for your jurisdiction, a lot of cities have increased requirements for sheds > 200 sq ft (like requiring a 3.5" poured concrete pad, etc)
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 7:15:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
better check with the building authority for your jurisdiction, a lot of cities have increased requirements for sheds > 200 sq ft (like requiring a 3.5" poured concrete pad, etc)
View Quote
12 by 16 is about as large as you can go, without a permit (192sqft) is you are in city or town, or village limits.  When you pull the permit, they should be able to provide all the foundation requirements.

For the record, my 12x16 sets of double stacked patio block (12 inch pavers), and has ridden the annual frost heave for 8 years now with no signs of damage due to flexing (Issues from me being a lazy bastard and not keeping the gutters clean is another story).
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 10:50:09 AM EDT
[#4]
You will need a permit over 200 SF, so just go down to your municipality and find out what they require.  If you want to downsize it below 200 SF, then if you are willing to build it polebarn style, I would recommend that over building one sitting on top of a gravel base.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 5:29:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

12 by 16 is about as large as you can go, without a permit (192sqft) is you are in city or town, or village limits.  When you pull the permit, they should be able to provide all the foundation requirements.

For the record, my 12x16 sets of double stacked patio block (12 inch pavers), and has ridden the annual frost heave for 8 years now with no signs of damage due to flexing (Issues from me being a lazy bastard and not keeping the gutters clean is another story).
View Quote
I did contact the township for permit information, which I do need to get for any structure over 100 square feet. The unusual part was they said I need to have all my plans together on paper when I apply for the permit.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:12:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I built mine on 4x4 runners laying across 4-6" of compacted crushed concrete.  My floor has flexed and moved from five winters.

I like your poured concrete post idea better
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 12:02:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
The size of your "shed" will probably require concrete footings. Code compliance has become insane where I live. If they catch you doing any work on your home without a permit and the inspection process there are fines and worse. Recently a family purchased a home and the city condemned it after they discovered the previous owners did electrical and drywall work without obtaining a permit. The new owners are barred from living there and they must remove the drywall so the city can inspect the electrical.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 3:24:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I did contact the township for permit information, which I do need to get for any structure over 100 square feet. The unusual part was they said I need to have all my plans together on paper when I apply for the permit.
View Quote
If you are getting a permit, why on earth would you want to do a wood sub floor?

Why not then pole build and pour concrete?  Or leave it gravel?
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 11:25:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I plan on using it as a year round worksheet. I want to include a heater and insulation. Not thinking about concrete because of cost. I would also have to have it pumped to the location where I want the shed, that would increase the cost of concrete even more.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 2:14:16 PM EDT
[#10]
A 12x24 at 4" thick would be 3.56 cubic yards, or under $400 if you shop real hard. You can get a dumper cart in order to not pump it.  Or 160 80lb bags.

Of course you need to put mesh down and work it.

I think wood and a subfloor would be significantly more than that.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 11:58:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A 12x24 at 4" thick would be 3.56 cubic yards, or under $400 if you shop real hard. You can get a dumper cart in order to not pump it.  Or 160 80lb bags.

Of course you need to put mesh down and work it.

I think wood and a subfloor would be significantly more than that.
View Quote

Not a bad idea. I only assumed the concrete would be very expensive, I had not actually looked into it. I think I'll check on some prices for my area. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 6:08:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The size of your "shed" will probably require concrete footings. Code compliance has become insane where I live. If they catch you doing any work on your home without a permit and the inspection process there are fines and worse. Recently a family purchased a home and the city condemned it after they discovered the previous owners did electrical and drywall work without obtaining a permit. The new owners are barred from living there and they must remove the drywall so the city can inspect the electrical.
View Quote
What city is that? 
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 9:10:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Genoa Township.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 9:32:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I had 9 tons of 21A delivered, packed it down and put my 16x28 shed on 4 6x6 sleepers. Then subfloor etc. It turned out great.
You are welcome to come over and see it if you want.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 4:08:13 PM EDT
[#15]
That looks great. How many winters has it been through so far? Any movement from frost?
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 9:16:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Two winters so far. No movement. Solid as heck. The doors need to be tweaked a little but that was since day 1.

Sleepers on tamped 21A, Subfloor ties with Simpson ties to sleepers. 3/4" treated plywood floor screwed to subfloor. 2x4 walls. I went with pre-built trusses as they were about as cheap as I can build them for and they were already done and engineered correctly. I never built trusses that long by hand and I feel better that way. My son who was 8 as the time, was my main helper.

I also made a loft door 16"x36" on the back that I can open up and slide in long pieces of lumber on the trusses to store.

I have a bunch of pictures of the build but Photobucket done screwed me up!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top