BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:31:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm getting a Microtech ultratech and a Kershaw launch 6.  

Do we have to wait till Oct 10 to ship them if ordered online?
View Quote
I'm having mine shipped to me right now, and I take them to Indiana for storage until Oct. 10th.

Ultratech, excellent OTF. Almost bought one.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 4:24:52 PM EDT
[#2]
My understanding is that theyhave always been legal to own.   They can just not be on your person or really even leave the house.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 4:25:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My understand Ping is that theyhave always been legal to own.   They can just not be on your person or really even leave the house.
View Quote
Only if you were missing limbs
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 4:28:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Actually.....750.226a specifically describes carrying the knife. Not owning.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(3mb1kufoqoi15vm5kr3hsta1))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-750-226a
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:56:21 AM EDT
[#5]
What's a decent $50-$100 Switchblade?  I really beat the shit out of my blades and don't want to destroy a $300 knife.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:27:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What's a decent $50-$100 Switchblade?  I really beat the shit out of my blades and don't want to destroy a $300 knife.
View Quote
I'd start here: Link

Kershaw is a good place to start.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The second and third knife in that link we just got in. The 1.9" Kershaw blade is fast you want to hold onto it. The Boker for 40 bucks isn't too bad seems decent for the price. We will see how it holds up with daily use.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:29:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I found during my research that the price difference is all about who the maker is, the build quality, and last, the blade material.

Cheaper knifes come with 440 stainless blades. 440 is a softer material that will need constant sharping, and will chip easy.

154CM, D2, S30V steels drive the price up, but will keep an edge longer, and are more durable.

IMO, the only 440 steel suitable for knife use is 440C, a steel Gerber likes to use.

TMMV

EDIT: link to steels explained

Link

More info
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 3:10:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(3mb1kufoqoi15vm5kr3hsta1))/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-750-226a
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any person who shall sell or offer to sell, or any person who shall have in his possession any knife having the appearance of a pocket knife, the blade or blades of which can be opened by the flick of a button, pressure on a handle or other mechanical contrivance shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment in the county jail for not to exceed 1 year or by a fine of not to exceed $300.00, or both.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to any one-armed person carrying a knife on his person in connection with his living requirements.
This section prevents anyone other than a "one-armed person" from possessing a switchblade.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 6:32:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok, so order it on Oct 7th.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 7:05:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Attachment Attached File

Was going to order from bladehq.com but apparently there are federal regulations on shipping autos if your not leo or military.  So I went looking for something local.  Gun store nearby didn't have Microtechs,  found a cool Benchmade, ended up paying more than it was online but who cares.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 10:03:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:22:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice knife. I see a ultratech in my future    
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:56:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Real nice OTF you have there. Who's the maker?
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 4:50:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
https://ravencresttactical.com/shop/
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 1:48:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 11:55:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
You can get a fairly nice Gerber Covert auto with an S30V blade for about 109.00 from BladeHQ.

I do believe that being caught with one on you, is still a CCW losing crime.
So I really don't know if a person wants to admit they own one yet, because it is still a crime until Oct 10th.
That said, if I owned an auto knife at the moment that was worth owning. It would be the Gerber. I would also own a Frank Beltrame stiletto from Italy.

I also know for a fact that BladeHQ will ship auto knives to us.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:09:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You can get a fairly nice Gerber Covert auto with an S30V blade for about 109.00 from BladeHQ.

So I really don't know if a person wants to admit they own one yet, because it is still a crime until Oct 10th.
That said, if I owned an auto knife at the moment that was worth owning. It would be the Gerber. I would also own a Frank Beltrame stiletto from Italy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And quickly.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 6:46:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Bought this last friday.  Soon...
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 7:14:19 PM EDT
[#20]
It feels like a year since they voted on this
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 6:23:09 PM EDT
[#21]
I was just looking at OTF blades, and sort of wondered if I could actually get one.

Looks like I need to get one, now.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 6:11:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Any restriction on blade length. I missed it if it was mentioned in the legal lingo.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 6:24:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I was just looking at OTF blades, and sort of wondered if I could actually get one.

Looks like I need to get one, now.
View Quote
Make sure the blade is single edged !
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 1:59:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Tomorrow is the big day  
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 3:37:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Tomorrow is the big day  
View Quote
Ready !!!!
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:55:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Ready !!!!
View Quote
You got stuff in stock? I may need to swing by

ETA @Easy_E
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 3:48:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:08:39 AM EDT
[#28]
My Pro-Tech Emerson CQC7 tuxedo arrives today.

Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:13:47 AM EDT
[#29]
My UTX-85 is on it's first public outing today

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:49:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

ETA @Easy_E
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ready !!!!

ETA @Easy_E
We got some Kershaw's in and they were gone .
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#31]
kygunco has a bunch of Microtechs actually in stock,just got an ad. Free shipping

kygunco

123-10 ULTRATECH T/E on the way.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 4:57:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Make sure the blade is single edged !
View Quote
What's the best method for "fixing" this Microtech Bayonet I got from a private seller? I'm concerned.

inb4 just grind down the top
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 5:24:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

What's the best method for "fixing" this Microtech Bayonet I got from a private seller? I'm concerned.
https://i.imgur.com/Gtgm2ka.jpg

inb4 just grind down the top
View Quote
Call up Microtech and see if they'll swap out the blade to something MI friendly?
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:34:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Call up Microtech and see if they'll swap out the blade to something MI friendly?
View Quote
With the advent of 10 million plus new potential customers I think we could request a Michigan special from them. A good business plan from a Pennsylvania company would suit us 'ganders just fine. Either a modified bayonet or false edge d/e...
Let's communicate ht arfBros.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:17:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My Pro-Tech Emerson CQC7 tuxedo arrives today.

View Quote
Excellent choice! Pics when you can, pls.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:09:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
here goes nothing
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 8:27:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

here goes nothing
https://i.imgur.com/v66MZzw.png
View Quote
Good Luck! Here's hoping that MT comes through for you.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:43:03 AM EDT
[#38]
My Pro Tech Emerson CQB 7a is in my pocket right now.

I know picks or it ain't real, but I 'm on my 2nd Tequila Sunrise right now so I'm in no situation to post shit.    
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:37:03 AM EDT
[#39]
After carrying the Raven for a few I can see why they offer light weight models.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 5:31:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Is it true we can't carry a blade over 3 inches?  The one I like the microtech ultratech t/e is over 3 inches
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 8:56:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Is it true we can't carry a blade over 3 inches?  The one I like the microtech ultratech t/e is over 3 inches
View Quote
State: false
Localities: check your ordinances YMMV. I'm pretty sure multiple towns have switchblade bans also.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:47:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
3 1/2" 'with the intention of causing harm' or some such shit.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 12:14:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
MCL 750.226 states:

(1) A person shall not, with intent to use the same unlawfully against the person of another, go armed with a pistol or other firearm, or a pneumatic gun, dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto, or knife having a blade over 3 inches in length, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument.
So by state law, if you don't have intent to harm someone, you're clear. However, MI does not have preemption for knives. Therefore, each local jurisdiction can have their own laws regarding length. Some are 3", some are 4", etc.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 4:06:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
MCL 750.226 states:

So by state law, if you don't have intent to harm someone, you're clear. However, MI does not have preemption for knives. Therefore, each local jurisdiction can have their own laws regarding length. Some are 3", some are 4", etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
MCL 750.226 states:

(1) A person shall not, with intent to use the same unlawfully against the person of another, go armed with a pistol or other firearm, or a pneumatic gun, dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto, or knife having a blade over 3 inches in length, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument.
I stand corrected.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 3:07:04 PM EDT
[#45]
The morning after knife.  Son bought it for me local.  A little over $100.

Link Posted: 10/16/2017 7:28:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Got one today, Benchmade Mini Coalition.  Benchmade 707 on the bottom for size comparison

Link Posted: 10/17/2017 11:24:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I stand corrected.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
MCL 750.226 states:

I stand corrected.  
I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed (pun intended ).  What if we use a blade over 3" in self defense?
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 4:02:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed (pun intended ).  What if we use a blade over 3" in self defense?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
MCL 750.226 states:

I stand corrected.  
If I'm using any kind of knife for SD, I'm gonna be more concerned with why I ran out of ammo.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 4:43:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
*Snip*
Not a lawyer and I have only done a small amount of research into this topic. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
My interpretation is that it is treated same as self-defense with pistol. As long as you aren't breaking any other laws I imagine there shouldn't be an issue.
However, from my limited research, if you carry a knife concealed with the intent to harm (self-defense included) this takes effect:
750.227 Concealed weapons; carrying; penalty.

Sec. 227.

(1) A person shall not carry a dagger, dirk, stiletto, a double-edged nonfolding stabbing instrument of any length, or any other dangerous weapon, except a hunting knife adapted and carried as such, concealed on or about his or her person, or whether concealed or otherwise in any vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business or on other land possessed by the person.
Case law PEOPLE v. BROWN(1979)
Accordingly, we today reaffirm the principles set forth in People v Vaines and hold that where a defendant is charged with carrying a "dangerous weapon" contrary to MCL 750.227; MSA 28.424, the burden is on the prosecution to prove that the instrument carried by the defendant is a dangerous weapon per se or that the instrument was used, or intended for use, as a weapon for bodily assault or defense. The fact that a pointed instrument, such as a machete, has great potential as a *223 dangerous weapon does not render it a dangerous weapon per se. Thus, in the instant case, mere proof that defendant knew that a machete could be used as a dangerous weapon does not support a conviction under MCL 750.227; MSA 28.424.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 9:34:31 PM EDT
[#50]
A late update but nonetheless. No can do.

Not a big issue for me anymore, sold the bayonet to a friend and I got a Ultratech s/e.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top