Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2006 9:56:18 AM EDT
I started the paperwork to renew my CCW permit in November of last year - four months in advance thinking "I'll have PLENTY of overlap" so there would be no problems... The lady (attractive middle age chick) actually chuckled when she saw exactly when it expires, and said something like "You sure you want to start it this early?" I said "yeah, I have the time off now, might as well get it going..."

They have a website to check the status (first in the nation according to Guns and Ammo magazine) Turns out the various process and machinations necessary to renew have taken long enough that it will EXPIRE before I get the new permit.

It ticks me off that I've done everything right, allowed TONS of time for this, and it STILL won't come in time, and to top it off, (if I remember right) the permit starts when I started the paperwork, not when they approve it, so if that's right, I get shafted out of FOUR MONTHS because the gears of government grind sloooowly!

OK, rant off. I just needed to vent. Can't vent to them or else you look bad.

Hopefully it won't be long and I'll get it a week or so after it is approved...

Just ensure you allow plenty of time for your renewals, guys.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:23:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Which County? You should request a temporary permit while you are waiting.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:25:25 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Which County? You should request a temporary permit while you are waiting.

Macomb... sorry, forgot that!

Meh it will only be a week. I am not that worried about it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:56:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Oakland processed my renewal in just under 4 weeks.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:04:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Well hopefully I'll be living in Oakland next time I need to renew!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:10:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well hopefully I'll be living in Oakland next time I need to renew!

Oakland was really good about getting my CCW in the first place, and then with the renewal. Maybe soon we'll see how good Royal Oak is about a CLEO sign-off on a mg...
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:30:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Wayne county took 5 months for me last time. I hear they have speeded it up since then (read that here). They will not issue a temporary unless you show evidence of some sort of emergency (credible threat to life, etc). At least that's what they said (mine lapsed for a round 2 months).

My expiration date is 5 years from the date the permit was issued, not from when I started the paperwork.

Could you post the address or a link to the website you mentioned for other county residents?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:47:00 PM EDT
[#7]
What's the website for checking your progress?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:46:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Macomb county clerk's office

First in the country according to G&A magazine, just remember the old adage "A watched pot never boils"

And I sincerly hope that the new permit is five years from date of issue - really, I do.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:57:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I have played the waiting game before in WACO, too. It gets old and stays old for some time.
But, on a brighter side, the permit expiration date is 5 years from the date the permit was issued. Hope you get yours soon.
Armed law abiding citizens make me smile.

-Glowfish  
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:32:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Monroe county didn't take long at all to process my initial permit.  5 weeks, 2 of which were due to my having to explain an open container Misdimeanor in college.  

Handgun safety checks only take 5 minutes there as well, awesome.

I hear Wayne county is terrible for processing CCW.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:08:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
(if I remember right) the permit starts when I started the paperwork, not when they approve it,

Starts on approval.

Tim
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:36:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:01:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I finally got my license. I was without one for 8 days, after having started the process over four months ago.

Ah well. I'm just glad to have it, and the new license is good for 5 years. They also aren't printing your address on the license anymore.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:58:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Wayne renewal took less then 2 weeks.  I know it was crazy when it arrived.  I couldnt believe it.  I thought they were refusing me.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:11:37 AM EDT
[#15]
It occurred to me that perhaps part of the renewal length of time is that they do a NICS check now (after Nov. 2005) per that other post...?

I dunno. It shouldn't have taken that long. Oh well, I have it now.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:11:14 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Monroe county didn't take long at all to process my initial permit.  5 weeks, 2 of which were due to my having to explain an open container Misdimeanor in college.  

Handgun safety checks only take 5 minutes there as well, awesome.

I hear Wayne county is terrible for processing CCW.

When did you get your permit? I have been waiting for 4 weeks and my buddy has been waiting for 8weeks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top