Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/21/2006 6:29:43 AM EDT
My wife and I enjoy walking the dog through the many hiking trails in the Allegan County State Game and Recreation area.

Any opinions on whether it is legal for me to carry concealed during this walks?

Anyone know who I can call for the "official answer"?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:40:43 AM EDT
If you have a concealed permit it is legal,if you do not you can carry open.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:19:34 PM EDT
Are you sure?
I know you cant carry in Federal parks but wasnt sure how it was with State parks.

I think you are right and it is Kosher to carry with a CCW in a State park but just check to make sure...

As for open carry, you would be pretty ballsy!
First time someone sees you and calls the cops you will be in for a world of hurt!
Yes, open carry is on the books as legal in MI but any cop will tell you that if you are open carrying they are going to make your life hell and write you up for everything else they possibly can....

Lots of states have open carry on the books as its an old law but do not like it and make it obvious
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:39:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/23/2006 7:45:34 PM EDT by Section1_Operations]

Originally Posted By JYogi:
Are you sure?
I know you cant carry in Federal parks but wasnt sure how it was with State parks.

I think you are right and it is Kosher to carry with a CCW in a State park but just check to make sure...

As for open carry, you would be pretty ballsy!
First time someone sees you and calls the cops you will be in for a world of hurt!
Yes, open carry is on the books as legal in MI but any cop will tell you that if you are open carrying they are going to make your life hell and write you up for everything else they possibly can....

Lots of states have open carry on the books as its an old law but do not like it and make it obvious

Really, try it sometime and see for yourself what happens. The only thing I've gotten is a couple of smiles from the local department guys when we passed in the coffee line!!! The soccer moms have more of a reaction than the police .

IIRC, the only time you run into trouble due to legal wording, or lack there of, is if your hunting on state land and have a CCW. Otherwise you're good to go.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:08:30 PM EDT
Do you live in a very open area? (ie not Lansing, Detroit, Grand Rapids, Flint etc?)

If so that would explain it... Try it in a metro area and you wont be happy.

From what I understand the DNR changed the law and you are able to CCW without headaches during hunting season
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:04:17 PM EDT
Northville/Northville Twp., Novi, Livonia, Redford/Redford Twp., Farmington/Farmington Hills, Plymouth/Plymouth Twp, Canton, Bloomfield, West Bloomfield, Birmingham - and on the occasion when I was working in Detroit. During the short periods of time I went from concealed to open carry I never ran into a single problem.

The way you carry yourself will have more to do with how people interpret your demeanor and actions than anything else.

I believe people put way to much emphasis on some things due to misguided morays than anything else. That which they do not know is built upon with the fear of ill intent.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:06:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/27/2006 9:12:42 PM EDT by Section1_Operations]

Originally Posted By JYogi:
Do you live in a very open area? (ie not Lansing, Detroit, Grand Rapids, Flint etc?)

If so that would explain it... Try it in a metro area and you wont be happy.

From what I understand the DNR changed the law and you are able to CCW without headaches during hunting season

IIRC, last time I fanned through the MI Gun Law Book handed out at the county clerks office there was an AG opinion the clarified this - no?

Firearms Laws of Michigan - Opinions of the Attorney General No. 7123
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:39:57 AM EDT
I would def. find out for sure about the hunting issue. It was my understanding that if you are out in the woods with a gun you have to have a valid hunting license. Im not sure how or if your CCW changes this. If you dont have a hunting license the DNR could get you for poaching and that is a hefty ticket and I think you get your fiream taken away.
I could be wrong, Im no expert.
Top Top