Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2006 5:51:05 PM EDT
I have a few questions about a couple different gun related things.

First question is, does a shotgun that doesn't have a full stock have to be registered as a pistol?  Like this one

What is the OAL?  And if it does need to be registered as a pistol, would I have to take it to the police station to get it registered er, uh, I mean "safety inspected'?

And my last question is about handguns. I know you have to be 21 to buy a handgun from a dealer but only 18 to purchase from an owner.  But what about if its through the EE or Gunbroker.  That would be buying it from a non-dealer onwer but it would still have to be transfered though an FFL.  Im only 20 now so I was just wondering if it could be done.

Thanks in advance,

Nic
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:23:14 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
What is the OAL?  And if it does need to be registered as a pistol, would I have to take it to the police station to get it registered er, uh, I mean "safety inspected'?

And my last question is about handguns. I know you have to be 21 to buy a handgun from a dealer but only 18 to purchase from an owner.  But what about if its through the EE or Gunbroker.

The shotgun can be no shorter than 26 inches, anything between 26 and 30 has to be registered as a pistol is our great state. Yes you would have to take it to the police station and have them register it. As far as your pistol question goes, because the fact that the transfer would be going through a dealer it wouldnt be allowed. Because you're under 21 the only way is person to person transfer. I went through that same deal when i was 18, my uncle wanted to give me a pistol but because he was in Nevada and a dealer would have had to do the transfer it wasn't allowed, i was bummed. But i got the pistol when i turned 21 and still have it ten years later. McM
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:54:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't swap that fron grip with a pistol grip either...at tht point it becomes an SBS...
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:46:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Thats whats I thought about the whole pistol transfer thing.  Too bad, 7 months seems so far away.

Does anybody know the overall length of the above shotgun?

Thanks again,

Nic
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:48:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:Does anybody know the overall length of the above shotgun?

Thanks again,

Nic

I was wondering the same thing
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:00:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Slap a yardstick or tape measure on it. Measure from the muzzle to the farthest point back that you can measure, perpedicular to the bore line. That is; Lay your yardstick on the barrel, end at the muzzle. Use a ruler square to the yardstick, at the rear end of the pistol grip. Read your oal off the yardstick. Basically, if it is a 20" barrel you're cool. 18" barrels can be problematic, depending on the receiver length and the pistol grip length.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:15:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I looked up the OAL today.  I found a few auctions on Gunbroker that said the shotgun has an OAL of 29 1/2 inches with a 20 inch barrel.  Ill have to see one at the next gun show to be sure.  But, it looks like this is another gun I can't get due to this dumb and useless law.

Anyway, thanks again for the help,

Nic
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:59:53 AM EDT
[#7]
That looks like the standard Mossberg 9shot 20inch barrel model. I cant find the OAL but I see them for sale in gunshops and shows all the time in the Detroit Metro area. The only models I believe Mossberg makes that are not legal in MI are the NFA short barrel models. Wessels Gun shop in Warren usually has one hanging behind the register. Give them a call, theyre a good shop to deal with. Very helpfull.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:45:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Don't swap that fron grip with a pistol grip either...at tht point it becomes an SBS...

Nope.  Only becomes a SBS if it has less than an 18" barrel OR OAL less than 26" regardless of barrel length.

I have a 12Ga Mossberg 500, 18.5 barrel, OAL just over 26 inches, with dual pistol grips....registered in Michigan under the "pistol inspection" clause for being under 30" OAL.

No Expert
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:26:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope.  Only becomes a SBS if it has less than an 18" barrel OR OAL less than 26" regardless of barrel length.

I have a 12Ga Mossberg 500, 18.5 barrel, OAL just over 26 inches, with dual pistol grips....registered in Michigan under the "pistol inspection" clause for being under 30" OAL.

No Expert

I've been schooled Now that I read my original reply I was wrong!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top