Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2006 6:08:07 PM EDT
Greetings -

Figure I'll visit Saturday and Sunday since it's only a short drive.

Anyone else attending?

And, what will you be looking to purchase?

Perhaps a cautionary word: Be advised that I had Tony (of Tony's Custom AR Uppers) replace an A2 Bushy receiver with a FN A3 flattop receiver. Prior to Tony touching the rifle it shot Morgan silver dollar sized groups at 100 yards despite the scope mounted on the handle. After Tony replaced the A2 with A3, I couldn't get the rifle on paper at 25 yards after firing 180 rounds! I have an FFL friend that is usually set up next to Tony's tables, and after a recent show - when Tony packed up his gear and departed - my friend saw 6-8 empty beer bottles in the area where Tony's tables had been.  Now this makes me wonder: might Tony have been drinking when he replaced my receiver? Might the reason my previously  accurate AR's not even touching paper at 25 yards be due to the possibility that Tony neglected to perform a headspace check?

Personally, I don't trust Tony to touch my AR's. Furthermore, I won't again fire the AR in question until I can have the headspace checked by my local, and very competent gunsmith. And - if my smith finds there to be a headspace issue - I plan on presenting Tony with my smith's bill for correcting the issue.

Just be appraised.

.02 and no more -

paddle3
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:08:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I have wondered about him too, his behavior at the last two shows was weird, not gun show dick head, but even odder.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:27:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I worked the last BR show with my FFL friend, ( this was after the show when Tony worked on my AR) and Tony's tables were as usual set up across the isle from ours. I noticed that he was drinking from one of those coffee style travel mugs throughout the day, and making frequent trips to the men's room.

It's just my personal opinion, and the fact that my once highly accurate AR now can't hit paper at 25 yards with 180 rounds down the tube - but I have a bad feeling about this guy.

I'll likely work my friend's tables for a few hours during the course of the BR show this weekend, and if Tony's again just across the isle - I'm going to keep an eye on him.

Again - this is only my .02 -

paddle3
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:08:54 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I worked the last BR show with my FFL friend, ( this was after the show when Tony worked on my AR) and Tony's tables were as usual set up across the isle from ours. I noticed that he was drinking from one of those coffee style travel mugs throughout the day, and making frequent trips to the men's room.

It's just my personal opinion, and the fact that my once highly accurate AR now can't hit paper at 25 yards with 180 rounds down the tube - but I have a bad feeling about this guy.

I'll likely work my friend's tables for a few hours during the course of the BR show this weekend, and if Tony's again just across the isle - I'm going to keep an eye on him.

Again - this is only my .02 -

paddle3

These are some pretty strong accusations you're making.  You know for sure that Tony is going to read this and I hope you're prepared to face him and back up what you've posted here in the forum.  I've know Tony for a long time and I've had him work on stuff for me before with no problems(including building me an upper).  Sorry to hear that you've had some rotten luck with your AR, but I'm not sure you handled it in the right way.

John
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:36:40 AM EDT
[#4]
If you're wrong, this gentleman will have a strong slander/libel case.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:24:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I doubt the headspace would change using the same bolt and barrel with extension. A canted sight sounds more likely. Have you tried to bore sight the scope on the upper with the bolt and carrier removed? Are the rings and mount tight on the new A3? I'd be more worried about my rifle than the dealer!
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:33:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I doubt the headspace would change using the same bolt and barrel with extension. A canted sight sounds more likely. Have you tried to bore sight the scope on the upper with the bolt and carrier removed? Are the rings and mount tight on the new A3? I'd be more worried about my rifle than the dealer!

That would be the first thing I would check.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:55:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't want to shoot any gun that can't be built drunk. eriously. If it can't work buzzed ut can't work under f'ed up conditionds.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:32:07 PM EDT
[#8]
This could get interesting.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:54:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Rebarreling an AR upper is about the easiest gunsmithing project that can be done. You only need a few special tools and like next to zero knowledge. All the work is done at the place where the receiver and barrels are made, barrel assemblies come preheadspaced with the barrel extension already attached.  Unless you are cutting the chamber on a special barrel or something there should be no headspace issues, they are made this way on purpose so parts can be swapped at the military armories.  You did not use a new barrel so I'd look elsewhere for the problem....that is unless he did not properly tighten the barrel nut, that is possible I suppose.
Also as was said above, check the sights or scope and mountings, could also be the issue.

I also agree with some of the other posts, your accusations of being intoxicated while at a show or doing work are some serious remarks that will carry some serious responsibility.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:32:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I didn't go yesterday, did anyone attend the new show?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:07:32 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I'll be there later today.  This is one of those times when I wish that AR15 required people to use their actual names instead of hiding behind a screen name.

John Lykins(aka JLShooter)
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:01:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:27:08 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I can't see any slander or libel here folks...

Um...

After Tony replaced the A2 with A3, I couldn't get the rifle on paper at 25 yards after firing 180 rounds! I have an FFL friend that is usually set up next to Tony's tables, and after a recent show - when Tony packed up his gear and departed - my friend saw 6-8 empty beer bottles in the area where Tony's tables had been. Now this makes me wonder: might Tony have been drinking when he replaced my receiver? Might the reason my previously accurate AR's not even touching paper at 25 yards be due to the possibility that Tony neglected to perform a headspace check?

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:05:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:26:21 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
... I couldn't get the rifle on paper at 25 yards after firing 180 rounds! ...
paddle3

If it took you 180 rounds to figure out that you weren't hitting the target, I suggest maybe you oughta quit mixing alcohol and guns.

Tim
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:08:35 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I went, I saw the same over priced stuff, I left $6 poorer.

Gun show WTF price of the day.

Gentleman had a bunch of this and that on his table along with a big bag of .223 brass.  The bag said "1000 pieces .223 military once fired" along with a price tag.  I asked him if it had been cleaned and he said "No, but he did have a bag behind the table that had been."  I looked at the price and my jaw hit the floor, he wanted $170.00 for the bag.  I asked him if it was a typo or if he had actually wanted $170 for it.  He said that it was not a typo and he wanted the price on the bag.  I told him good luck and he spit back "what do yo mean by that".  I then informed him that there was many internet sites and auction sites that if you paid over $35/1000, you were paying to much.  I left him shaking my head.

Quote of the day.

Guy was looking at a Yugo SKS.  It was full of cosmo and the dealer was telling the looker how to clean it.  He said to heat up some kerosene and soak the parts in it.  OK I thought, warm kerosene would work better but should you really heat up a flammable?  Then I heard the looker ask if the guns were shot with corrosive ammo.  the seller said "Ya, but they have chrome lined bores so it doesn't matter."  

It's been over a year since I have been to a show, I guess things haven't changes much (entrance price went up) so I guess I am set to wait another year before I get the urge to go and blow another $6 to get in.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:50:01 AM EDT
[#17]
I got talked into going on Saturday.  I had a list of things I wanted & plenty of cash to get it.
Mostly reloading stuff.  I wanted some die sets for calibers that I don't have guns for....yet.

Quoted:

Gun show WTF price of the day.

Gentleman had a bunch of this and that on his table along with a big bag of .223 brass.

I saw his stuff.  Ya, his brass was certainly in the WTF category.   I did buy 5000 Rem 7 1/2 BR primers from him for $70.

Bought but didn't need an RCBS powder trickler for $1.00.
Passed on a Lee press for $15.  I just know I'll destroy an aluminum press in short order

I noticed a couple rifles that are on my aquire list.  One, a Savage 23D .22Hornet, was the nicest example I've ever seen.  However at $450 it was just a bit more than I was willing to spend, that day.  

Shoulda bought the Simson .22 for $150.  I know its pretty scare/rare & it was a really nice example.  Shoulda bought that partial box of .256 mag.

My son bought some AR pieces...a new Bushmaster 4 pos stock w/ buffer & spring for $50.  Not bad, pretty good quality.  I passed on the heavy stainless barrels Ranger had.  I want a national match stainless barrel.  The only ones he had were already assembled in uppers.

I noticed the FA vendors were getting quite a bit of attention.

Alas, no powder vendors though.  I was hoping to buy 5 or 6 8# containers.  Not much in the way of .22 componants either.

One annoying thing I did notice, many vendors were just socalizing with people behind the tables & NOT paying attention to guys wanting to SPEND MONEY..... I was one of them.  Didn't even help when I looked the guy in the eye and said loudly "Do you expect me to throw my wallet at you?"   Me & my wallet kept moving.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:27:37 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
This could get interesting.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:43:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Went on Sunday with a guy I met in the pit. He must have finger fucked everything in the damned show! I had the place covered in the time he got 1/4 way through the first room. In and Out, Git 'er Done. Not him..... I was pretty damned bored and we ended up staying there until they closed the doors down. Didn't want to rush him because he's been laid up for months with a knee injury after being hit on his bike, but DAMN! By the time I got home I had been awake almost 24 hours.

Not a lot to see there. I went for Ammo, but the damn ATM ran out of money. So instead of more SS109, I got a few bricks of some of Aguila's specialty loads and a set of Polypros.

Dave
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:00:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Other than a couple of guns piqueing my interest, the best part of the show was the smell of "Dees Nutz".
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:06:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
the best part of the show was the smell of "Dees Nutz".

Eew.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:30:57 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
the best part of the show was the smell of "Dees Nutz".

Eew.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:16:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Where has Paddle3 disappeared to?  I went to the show this weekend and Tony was not there.  I was told by another dealer that Tony was at another show.  Kind of strange that Paddle3 put all this out there and has never had anything more to say.

John
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:36:58 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Where has Paddle3 disappeared to?  I went to the show this weekend and Tony was not there.  I was told by another dealer that Tony was at another show.  Kind of strange that Paddle3 put all this out there and has never had anything more to say.

John

It appears the original post was referring to a previous show, not the one this weekend.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:57:19 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

John

It appears the original post was referring to a previous show, not the one this weekend.

Well I get that, but after his posts on 1/13/06, we have not heard a word from him on the subject.  
The same dealer who told me that Tony was at another show also said that Tony was aware of this thread and that someone has posted crap on other forums about him and his family.  I have no idea who paddle3 is, but I do know Tony.  I think this was handled wrong and I think paddle3 is hiding behind a screen name.  If he's going to make accusations like this, he needs to back them up, withdraw them or at least have the guts to post his name.  

I guess I can't say it any clearer than that!

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:29:53 AM EDT
[#26]
My impressions? One of the lamer shows I've been to recently.

I could even find stuff at the Silverdome shows (same group of vendors right?) but couldn't make that show this year.

I missed out on some decently priced SA .308 battlepacks (Which one of you clowns bought it up??? ) and my dad missed out on a primo part for a mill. Literally we walked to the end of the row, he reconsidered it and then we went back and it was gone.

Frankly it was worth it because I got to spend time with my dad, but past that, pfffft.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:25:16 AM EDT
[#27]
I live in Kzoo and find our show downright depressing. I still go now and again, but invariably only leave $5 lighter.
The inclusion of Class 3 stuff has added something new to look at, but even those seem overpriced in their already amazing price ranges I've found. There is one vendor that has a glass case full of various goodies, among them a 30rnd. Glock magazine that he wants like $150 for. What a joke. Needless to say he still had it for sale the last time I saw his table.
I admit to seeing some decent prices on pistols, but every other 'deal' you'd find is pretty much retail.
Sad, sad, sad.

Of course, these are just my opinions, and what do I know anyway?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:12:43 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Of course, these are just my opinions, and what do I know anyway?

No, you're spot on. the K-Zoo show is the worst in the state, even Hillsadle, and that is a small show.

If you note the show schedule, there is only one K-Zoo show on tap for '06
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 6:31:11 PM EDT
[#29]

If you note the show schedule, there is only one K-Zoo show on tap for '06

Yeah.... memory tells me it was mid-April, right? Was the last one in December? I could've sworn it was this month.

I went to that one with a friend of mine and one of his young co-workers. It was young Mr. co-workers first show. He asked how long was the wait on an AK. I told him none. 'You mean I can could walk out of here with one of those today??', he asked. 'Yep'. Off to the ATM he went...

They're so cute.

And no, he didn't get too bad of a price on it, $370 with tax and all. I've seen much worse.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top