Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2006 7:01:17 AM EDT
Okay, I was thinking about something last night at work.

For whatever reason, say you pull someone over... runnning yellow light, not coming to a complete stop at sign, turning on red...whatever.

You ask the driver for his license, proof of insurance, and registration. Why do you ask for the registration?  is it to prove that the car is his?  Is that all?  I mean, what if I am driving my sister's car to the store?  Or is it to verify the vehicle matches the plate?

I was thinking that if it is JUST to see that the vehicle is registered... doesn't the license plate prove that since the tags now are printed with the license plate number on it?

I mean, if my plate is XXX 666, the tag in the corner of the plate has "XXX 666" printed on it, so you know I didn't take the tag off someone else's plate and put it on mine (I know tag theft used to be HUGE)...and when you run the plate, it comes back with vehicle description.

So why the need for the registration?  I understand the license, and the POI, but doesn't the valid tag on the plate make the presentation of registration unnecessary?

No Expert
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:21:51 PM EDT
[#1]
It's so the LEOs can see if the car has updated registration and if you don't have it with you, you get a ticket. You can fight this in court by showing proof of registration at the time of the stop, but ultimately the judge will still fine you some money. It's an easy way to increase the revenue for the municipality.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#2]
[pink floyd]money, money, money,money, money, monaay.. MONAAY![/pink floyd]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:48:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I am not a cop.  But I think another reason reason they want to see your vehicle registration is to see if the vehicle's owner signed the back of the registration. You all know the law requires the back of the registration to be signed, correct?  But I think the increased revenue theory is probably valid also.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:26:52 AM EDT
[#4]
so it looks like everyone thinks what I was thinking...there doesn't appear to be any reason to check the registration other than the potential (at this point) to issue a ticket for revenue. I mean the computerized patrol cars and custom tags make carrying the registration (IMO) unnecessary.

No Expert
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:25:34 AM EDT
[#5]
If you drive around SE MI, you'll notice 80% of the roads are in straight grids below M-59. Some have 8 lanes, some have as little as 4 lanes. Speed limits are sometimes ridiculously low (35 mph to 45 mph) but never more than 50 mph even on roads that are considered "highways" in other states. Why? On roads with a speed limit below 55 mph, 1-5 mph = points on insurance. On roads with speed limits 55 mph or higher, 1-5 mph = no points on insurance. They frequently set speed traps in areas where the speed limit goes from 45/50 mph down to 35 mph because people don't generally realize there's such a drop in speed limit.
If speed limits were established based on how fast you can safely drive on the road, then it'd cut into township tax collection revenues. That's why there are speed traps set up, and all kinds of fancy speed detection toys. Some of the roads have more space and allow for higher speeds than most highways in Northeast NJ (NYC suburbs). The cops just happen to enjoy their work, but its the city/town politicians that are to blame. They have to find ways to pay for their new office complex, police department, sidewalks and street lights that the people never asked for or needed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top