Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2006 6:05:49 PM EDT
It looks like I will be moving to MI in the near future.

From what I understand, any rifle under 30" in its shortest configuration is a "pistol" for state purposes.    
I'm (sort of) okay with that.  What I have a problem with is that a rifle that is under 26" when folded is considered an SBR by the state, and therefore illegal.  

I pulled out my semi- AK underfolder and measured it.  With the muzzle brake removed, it is not quite 26".  No good.  So I suppose my options are to have the brake permanently attached (it is then around 26.5"), or not bring it to MI.  

I really don't like the idea of welding the brake on.  Actually, I'd just blind pin it, and weld over the pin.  Then, I could drill the pin out when I move away.  I still don't like it.

I imagine it'll have to live out of state with my "real" SBRs.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:00:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't believe theres anything in the MI law that says it has to be "permanent" .just take it in with the long 74 brake screwed on,they measure it and your good to go .The weld on thing is just for the federal 16 inch law...
what the total length of your folder?Ive got a polish one im gonna have built,was thinking of making a longer slant brake if i only need an inch or so...
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:38:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I've thought of doing an underfolder to, but I refuse to put on an incorrect break just to make the libs happy, I was thinking about a "gay bar" thats a name I came up with for welding a rod to the back of the reciever to make the total length politicly correct (an apropriate name since thats probably where they were when they made this lae, and where the attorney general was when he reinterpreted it), then when I leave the state I just dremel of the rod, and it's as good as new, would that be legaly acceptable?....  Also what is the total length of an AK-47 underfolder with the standard slant break?....
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:44:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
what the total length of your folder?Ive got a polish one im gonna have built,was thinking of making a longer slant brake if i only need an inch or so...

It's 27-1/2" with the brake installed.  With the brake off it's something like 25-1/4".
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:49:07 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I refuse to put on an incorrect break just to make the libs happy, ....  Also what is the total length of an AK-47 underfolder with the standard slant break?....

In my case, I don't know what the "appropriate" brake is.  It's a Norinco .223.  It originally came with a birdcage flash hider like in this picture, which I swiped from an auction site.

I don't know that any military ever used this flash hider.

I always kind of wanted to put a slant brake on it.  Anyone know if the .223 guns use the same thread pattern as the 7.62 or 5.45 guns?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:14:08 PM EDT
[#5]
cant you just registar it as a pistol?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:19:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
cant you just registar it as a pistol?

That's what I thougt at first.  The problem is in the definition of an SBR.  

To be an SBR, the gun has to have either a barrel less than 16", or an overall length of less than 26".  So if the gun has a 17" barrel, but is only 25" overall, it is still an SBR.  It then would not be legal even if you did register it as a "pistol".  

Bummer, huh?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:28:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm going to have some slant brakes made up that are an inch longer than the originals for just this purpose. I'll keep you all updated when there done. Joe
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:09:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I've thought of doing an underfolder to, but I refuse to put on an incorrect break just to make the libs happy, I was thinking about a "gay bar" thats a name I came up with for welding a rod to the back of the reciever to make the total length politicly correct (an apropriate name since thats probably where they were when they made this lae, and where the attorney general was when he reinterpreted it), then when I leave the state I just dremel of the rod, and it's as good as new, would that be legaly acceptable?....  Also what is the total length of an AK-47 underfolder with the standard slant break?....

Maybe you could be a cheapo replacement pistol grip stock and permanentaly attach something that sticks back a few inches to lengthen the rifle to the required size rather than weld something on the receiver.  It will still look ridiculous but will be less damaging than welding something to the receiver.  Plus if you buy a different pistol grip you can stash your original one until the laws change or you move to another state.

Let me know what you do as I am considering building an underfolder myself.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:59:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I was going to put a folding stock on a mini 14 about a year ago . So i did some checking  and if i remember right   The Feds. say 28 inches OAL ....But michigan was 30 Inches OAL...    Dwayne
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:59:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I was going to put a folding stock on a mini 14 about a year ago . So i did some checking  and if i remember right   The Feds. say 28 inches OAL ....But michigan was 30 Inches OAL...    Dwayne
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:12:28 PM EDT
[#11]
make sure you measure the pistol grip in the OAL.

flip the rifle up side down and rest it on the sights, then use a square(building, contractor, something you know is 90 degrees) touching end of the grip.  measure to the end of the brake to the edge of the square.

Also the Tapco SAW grip will also add some lenght.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top