Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2005 7:55:08 PM EDT
A Week ago and no one has posted about it!
www.wnem.com/Global/story.asp?S=4220931
(TV5) -- Dozens of handguns have been stolen from Bare’s Sport Shop in Saint Charles. Police are currently looking for suspects in the early Thursday morning robbery.

After an inventory check, forty-five to fifty guns are missing and out on the streets. All of the missing guns are high-powered 45 caliber handguns, capable of holding eight or more bullets.

edit Sorry it was Dec. 8th
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:01:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I saw the report.

I grew up & went to school in St.Charles.  Been in Bare's many times, even bought a couple guns there.

I figured it was only a matter of time before that place was hit.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:14:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Seems that Bare's was very unwise to not have invested in gunsafes, and then engage in the practice of storing their weapons securily upon the close of daily business.

Each day, my local FFL removes his weapons from open display, then locks then in gunsafes. (Yes, it is a time comsuming task to perform on a daily basis. But then again....)

Actually, I was appalled when I learned of the theft from Bare's. And thought: what utter stupidity to leave unsecured weapons in display cases.

I hope Bare's has a good insurance carrier: not only to cover the cost of the thefts, but also - if any of these handguns turn up at a crime scene.

.02 -
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:52:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I suppose Jay's Sporting goods is asking for it too....and Gander Mountain and Bass Pro Shops and about 90% of the other Retail Stores. It is nearly impractical to store that many firearms in safes each night. Sounds good to say that and especially if you are writing for a news agency of some sort. What they should have done was invest in better security barriers.... assuming they didn't already have some and I don't know that they didn't as it has been years since I was in the place.
Fact of the matter is that no matter what you do, if someone wants to steal your stuff they will find a way.

"I hope Bare's has a good insurance carrier: not only to cover the cost of the thefts, but also - if any of these handguns turn up at a crime scene."

Oh that is right....they are still liable becasue some thief stole them from a locked business. Hope you have good car insurance.....man, if someone steals your car and runs someone over and kills them you'll need it! NOT!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:06:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Perhaps a side note...

Heard yesterday on the radio St.Charles PD & state troopers caught 3 bad guys ages 20 to 48 yrs doing some B&E and in pos of meth.  Hopefully this may lead to recovery of what was taken from Bare's
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:35:22 AM EDT
[#5]
wow is meth big over there?
down here in the detroit area you never hear about meth.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:43:42 PM EDT
[#6]
When I viewed the WNEM interview with the owner of Bare's immediately following the robbery, it was stated that they were going to consider upgrading their security systems. That's good, if not timely....

Gordie, I'm sure that the major franchise firearm retailers you mentioned have the financial means to afford top grade security systems.  As for the other 90% of firearms dealers: if one's business is the sale of weapons, then one should take measures to ensure their security: whether that means spending significant funds for a top notch security system, or having a less extensive alarm system and thus at the end of the business day taking the time to store firearms in safes. (BTW: the local FFL I mentioned earlier not only removes his weapons to safes, but also has a hi-tech security system in place.)

As regarding my remark about Bare's having a good insurance carrier: In this society where if someone illegally enters/invades my home, I fear for my life, and thus utilize deadly force to quell the threat to my family - it is common practice for the deceased perpetrator's family to file litigation and seek damages. (It's a sad commentary as to the state of not only the legal system to allow such activities, but also indicative of societal degeneration as a whole where the notion of personal responsibility largely has gone by the way.) So, Gordie - I guess I look at it this way: there are a lot of lawyers in this world that would likely consider filing suit against a small time FFL if their client's family suffered a loss from a stolen weapon - IF it could be proven that the store owner had failed to adequately provide the necessary level of security to safeguard their merchandise.

Gordie, I may be too cynical. But I've experienced people at their worst when money, legalities, and greed come into play.

Again, .02 -

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:03:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Fair enough..... just figured we, being generally levelheaded people, didn't need to perpetuate the same nonsensical ramblings that society has come to generate.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:08:51 AM EDT
[#8]
We visited St.Charles yesterday for family Christmas gathering.  

The PD have 4 in custody.  Evidence shows they were storing ill gotten goods at the old boat works south of town.  No word of any recovered firearms.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:51:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow, that's not far away!

Meth in lower mid Michigan. Who'da thunk it? (Hint: Not me)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top