Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/13/2005 1:41:05 PM EDT
If not you're missing out on a good time...

Link Posted: 11/13/2005 3:50:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool pics, looks like a blast! Care to tell us more? (Where, contact info, what classes of weapons allowed~ I see the M4's, is there a pistol or shotgun event involved)?

Hungry for info. T Bone (Detroit).
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 4:25:29 PM EDT
[#2]
ACTS is a combat rifle action shooting sport in a similar vain as IDPA (except we use longer ranges and rifles instead of pistols as primary tools).

No shotguns, but we do use sidearms as secondary weapons.

Our website is located at www.actshooters.com

There you will find pictures from all of our matches & match results

You will also find the rule book, and a message board.

We hold our matches on the second Saturday of each month at Centerline of Calhoun County in Bellevue (just north of Battle Creek)
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 5:04:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Cool pics, looks like a blast! Care to tell us more? (Where, contact info, what classes of weapons allowed~ I see the M4's, is there a pistol or shotgun event involved)?

Hungry for info.
T Bone (Detroit).

It's very worthwhile to come out and play.  I've been to every match since inception (of ACTS, not me) and plan to keep up my attendance.  We've got most skill levels represented and have a good friendly time.  I'd recommend you check the ACTS site for further info as that's our meeting point.

The range we're using now is limited to 100yds, so don't be worried about an arms race for precision weaponry.  See you next month!  
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 7:04:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Man what  great time I had! I have also been to all of the ACTS shoots and have no regrets. This is where you really get to try your gear out, and everybody has a great time! I drive darn near 2 hours one way to go to these shoots and would not miss one for anything. The web site has a lot more detail on what is what. But I know this for a fact you will have a great time! The stages are well laid out and will test your abilitys and your gear and how you use it. The competition is great but there is no I'm better than you are thing going on we all pull for each other. So if you win great! if you dont thats great too! There is no other competition like this anywhere in the state, it isnt a class but anybody will help you if you ask them. BTW thats me in the back of the pickup shooting at the targets as we went by them, man that stage was a HOOT! It was a lot harder than it looked and that was what made it great! If you have ever wanted to shoot in a league and thought that you could never be good enough to show up forget all that crap, this bunch of ppl are way different. There are no clicks or groups or other crap like that its just a great bunch of ppl getting together and haveing a great time doing what we want to do. Hell just come by and watch a match, ask questions, meet the shooters and see if this is what you want to do. Dont think you need super gear either
hell i have hockey tape holding my vest together! If you have a rifle a few mags a pistol and a good holster some ammo and a couple of pouches your good to go. Thats all you need to put a smile on your face that you cant get off with a jackhammer after your done! You owe it to your self to at least see what all the hub-bub is about.
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 8:09:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Seriously?  Hockey tape?  

FYI folks, the next match is Dec 10, and as was said above, if you're nervous come on down and spectate.  I'd bring your gear as well just in case but we have had guys come out to watch.  
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 2:46:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Yep on the right shoulder, the stiching on the right shoulder pad where my rifle rests against my shoulder split , so I fixed it with hockey tape. Actually it works great! the butt of the gun dosent move around because of the grip of the tape.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 3:57:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Chain yankin' is all ;)  Worn gear is good gear.  

Actually there's an idea!  I have a bunch of white (medical) duct tape I can use to winterize the rifle!  
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 9:31:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Here is a little taste of what is in store for next month.

Below is the COF for stages one and two for December. I decided to put a little twist into it. In November, teams were randomly drawn. In Decmber, shooters will pick their own teams. Here is the twist. For stage one, your partner will be your direct competition. You will be working in opposition to one another. For stage two, your partner will be your team mate. You will be working together. You will have the same partner for both stages. So, if you're thinking of picking someone you know you can smoke, think again, because you will need that person to help you out for stage 2.

Have fun mulling this one over, and I'll see you in December

Link Posted: 11/14/2005 1:28:02 PM EDT
[#9]

The last match was the best set up yet. I loved shooting out of the truck. The only down side is...I want to do it again!

Good job Tony!
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 4:57:05 PM EDT
[#10]
And how about that weather?!?!?!?!  It couldn't have been a more perfect day for shooting!

Its probably been stated else where but the fellow shooters make it go from great training to a really good time all around.  I've been continually impressed with the friendly attitude of all the fellow shooters I've encountered.  

See you in December!

ps.  Will be bringing the MP-5 this time.......pssst!  navy trigger group.....weeee!
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 7:38:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I think I'd like to check this out! I really don't have anything gearwise, but I'd like to see what others are using to get an idea. This looks like alot of fun and something I could get into, not to mention justification to the wife to buy new shit .  

GunnFixr, I've had the ACTS website bookmarked for a couple months now just haven't taken the next step so to speak. If you guys don't mind a spectator or 2, I know of at least another shooter who might be interested.

What do most use for a hand gun? The only one I currently have is 9mm. Would that suffice?
As far as rifle, I have an AR that I can configure to either A2 or m4gery. Both with irons only. What would be more suffucient? I would assume m4gery for run and gun purposes, but as noted above, newbie.

Thanks,
-Scott
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 7:55:28 PM EDT
[#12]
hanibal - For handguns you'll see 1911s, SIGs, Glocks, CZs and Berettas (at least).  ACTS is rifle intensive so if it holds 7 rounds you should be ok for your secondary.  

On the A2 / M4 question, shoot what you like best but you won't be handicapped with a carbine.  Mine's a 14.5.

Link Posted: 11/14/2005 7:56:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
And how about that weather?!?!?!?!  It couldn't have been a more perfect day for shooting!

Its probably been stated else where but the fellow shooters make it go from great training to a really good time all around.  I've been continually impressed with the friendly attitude of all the fellow shooters I've encountered.  

See you in December!

ps.  Will be bringing the MP-5 this time.......pssst!  navy trigger group.....weeee!

Oh man, I am sooooo jealous. Last time I shot one of those was in 1986.  OH MY GOD! That was 19 years ago!

Boy time sure does fly.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 8:48:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I think I'd like to check this out! I really don't have anything gearwise, but I'd like to see what others are using to get an idea. This looks like alot of fun and something I could get into, not to mention justification to the wife to buy new shit .  

Spectators are more than welcome, but make sure you bring your gear. Once you're there, you'll want to play, I promise.

9mm is just fine. I use an M9.

As for the rifle, either will be dandy. Using irons will put you into the service division regardless of bbl length.

You don't need a lot of gear. Most of the guys are running high speed low drag stuff, but I run a simple H-harness with two M16 mag pouches (and you could get away with wearing one pouch).
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 8:48:57 AM EDT
[#15]
I tell you what I have a real basic gear rig that I will bring for anybody to use if they dont have any gear , and if there is more than one person that shows up without any webgear they can share it. It is a simple H harness with belt and I will bring 2 different kinds of GI flap holsters one for large frame autos and one for small frame ones  and a mag pouch for the ar and a pouch for the pistol mags. Now all you need is your rifle 3 or 4 mags a pistol I'd say 2 mags would do  and some ammo and your all set. NOW YOU HAVE NOTHING TO BUY until after you have tried it out.

yes yes I know I'm a great guy LMAO
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 3:09:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for all the info, and a great link. I've read some, will go back for more, but this looks like LOTSA fun! Good training too, if approached correctly. I will try to make December, but if not, Jan. or Feb. for sure (I assume it runs year 'round?).

T Bone (Detroit).
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 5:42:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, Barring anything drastic happening between now and the 10th, I'll be there.  I'm looking forward to it!

I went over the website but didn't see a start time. What time do you guys get started?

ETA: Wraith, that's a very generous offer. Thanks. Were you by chance at the pit in Lapeer on the day of the cleanup? later on on the afternoon anyway?  
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 5:48:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Sign in starts @ 9 am...shotin' starts at 10 am....

If possible its nice if you come alittle early to help set up the stages.....
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 7:09:47 PM EDT
[#19]
No prob hanibal if bringing a web gear set will get ppl to come out and try our brand of fun I'm all for it. and to your other question no I wasnt at the pit clean up, but on the few times that i have gone to the pit I always clean up after myself and leave nothing that wasnt there before I got there. I think if everybody did that small thing we wouldnt need to have the pit clean-ups. but I can dream cant I?
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 3:00:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Easy your bringing the MP-5?! SWEET!!! AHHHH the toys, the toys..... yeah I've been thinking of
getting the MP-5 PDW version {I need a new gun to mount my EO-Tech on} and I always wanted a real CQB gun anyway. Dam I need a job that makes more money to afford my toy habit! LOL
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 12:27:26 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm affraid my fat ass would have a heartattack, looks like fun though, I shot CAS for several years and loved it. I might have to come out and try it out anyway. Whats the longest range targets are engaged at with the rifle and pistol? Can a paddle type holster be used? Thanks.  McM
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 4:18:19 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Easy your bringing the MP-5?! SWEET!!! AHHHH the toys, the toys..... yeah I've been thinking of
getting the MP-5 PDW version {I need a new gun to mount my EO-Tech on} and I always wanted a real CQB gun anyway. Dam I need a job that makes more money to afford my toy habit! LOL

ME TOO!!

You know I've been planning to use the MP every month but I LOVE shooting my ARs so much, I've always left it at home....well...OK, work.  It isn't mine per se.....I'll bring the Knights Arm supressor to play with.....
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 7:30:53 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
No prob hanibal if bringing a web gear set will get ppl to come out and try our brand of fun I'm all for it. and to your other question no I wasnt at the pit clean up, but on the few times that i have gone to the pit I always clean up after myself and leave nothing that wasnt there before I got there. I think if everybody did that small thing we wouldnt need to have the pit clean-ups. but I can dream cant I?

I only ask as I thought I may have met you there. I got there mid afternoon and I suspected you were the guy I was talking to. Apparently, Sherlock Holmes I am not. My bad.

I did get confirmation from another shooter who is interested as well. We'll be there but likely late (10:00 earliest. babysitter type deal) We will be there though. If nothing else just to check it out and get a feel for the rules, gear, and the tactics. Looking forward to it!
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 11:19:03 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ME TOO!!

You know I've been planning to use the MP every month but I LOVE shooting my ARs so much, I've always left it at home....well...OK, work.  It isn't mine per se.....I'll bring the Knights Arm supressor to play with.....

Oh lord no!  Not a can!?!  I've made it this long in denial that such things exist.  It makes the truth that we can't individually have them here easier.  Dang it easy!  ;)
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 2:56:39 AM EDT
[#25]
MP-5 + Can =  ticka,ticka,ticka   on 3rd burst.

Grin Factor   +10

Super sweet way cool and DAM I'm jelious factor    off the friggen scale!

I have bullets I can bring........... plz dont make me beg......ok I'll beg  plz,plz,plz!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 4:12:24 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I'm affraid my fat ass would have a heartattack, looks like fun though, I shot CAS for several years and loved it. I might have to come out and try it out anyway. Whats the longest range targets are engaged at with the rifle and pistol? Can a paddle type holster be used? Thanks.  McM

ACTS is kinda like CAS, but we use 21st century technology, not 19th, and rifle shooting is our primary focus, not pistols. At our current facilities, the longest shot will be 100yds (150 if I develop a stage with cross range shooting) As for the holster, the rules state that no competition gear is allowed. It must be suitable for either concealed carry or military/police duty. A holster must secure the firearm and cover the trigger guard. The shooter must be able to jump up and down (heels and toes must leave the ground) and the gun must stay in the holster. All retention devices used during the holster test must be engaged at the outset of each stage. I have yet to turn away a holster.
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 4:11:22 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
ACTS is kinda like CAS, but we use 21st century technology, not 19th, and rifle shooting is our primary focus, not pistols. At our current facilities, the longest shot will be 100yds (150 if I develop a stage with cross range shooting) As for the holster, the rules state that no competition gear is allowed. It must be suitable for either concealed carry or military/police duty. A holster must secure the firearm and cover the trigger guard. The shooter must be able to jump up and down (heels and toes must leave the ground) and the gun must stay in the holster. All retention devices used during the holster test must be engaged at the outset of each stage. I have yet to turn away a holster.

Ehhh, would my pocket work?  I don't have any "gear" yet, and my only pistols are my Ruger MKII and my new 1911... not 21, so I don't have my CCW yet, let alone a holster for my 1911.

Is this a huge event, or a relatively small group?
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 4:22:12 PM EDT
[#28]
tag
Link Posted: 11/17/2005 6:25:35 PM EDT
[#29]
No, your pocket won't work. You have to have a holster.

We ussually run under 20 shooters, but we are growing.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 5:17:31 PM EDT
[#30]
How long do matches typically last?  Just wondering for a rough estimate as I do have something to do the evening of the 10th and with the drive and all I need to have things planned out a little.

Looks like a riot.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 6:13:57 PM EDT
[#31]
We ussually wrap up between 2pm and 4pm

It depends on the number of shooters, and how many timers we have on hand. I only have one timer, but a couple of the regulars bring timers with them. When they do, we run two or three stages at once.
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 7:18:05 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't need web gear, do I?  I plan to buy some, but for now, my four pockets would work, right?
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 8:37:12 PM EDT
[#33]
ACTS Rulebook

Section 4, Rule 12
ACTS requires sufficient magazines/loaders and pouches as necessary to complete the stage at hand. The pouches may be attached to your gun belt or thigh rig, chest pouch, vest, etc, but in any case, must be on the body. During the course of fire all reloads must come from pouches, unless otherwise directed by the course of fire. During the course of fire, you may safely retrieve any ammo that has been dropped.

If you want to come out and give ACTS a try, I'm not going to stop you if you don't have the gear, but you'll need to get it eventually. I've done the cargo pocket thing, and believe me, it is a pain in the ass.

Link Posted: 12/3/2005 6:14:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Bump!

Not sure if I can make it next week, but I'll try. Sure does look like fun!

T Bone (Detroit).
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 7:57:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Does anybody else shoot matches in the winter?  We were lucky enough to get 5-10" during the overnight Thursday with the monthly match on Saturday.  At least we know how to dress in Michigan...

Just to prove that we did prone out...

Team stages.

Over the shoulder view of the 100yd stage (1 & 2).
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 8:30:03 AM EDT
[#36]
THAT was a GREAT MATCH! Mother Nature gave us some snow to play in and it really put our equipment to the test, as well with all the warm clothes we had to wear it made you re-think what works and what dosent in the cold and snow. And for the Centerline Gun Club I want to say thank you very much! you guys and gals are top notch! Your hospitality twards the ACTS shooters was first rate. The hot dogs were great thank you very much! I wish I was able to get some of the chili I heard it was really good! We had 4 new shooters come out and try our brand of fun and I hope they all came away pleased with the experience, and I hope to see you next month!
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 2:17:37 PM EDT
[#37]
The outdoor/indoor stage.

Both of these two ass clowns managed to hit a hostage during the team shoot...they were partners.
Protect & serve, guys...Protect & Serve.

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 2:27:44 PM EDT
[#38]
The toque and feces eating grin really makes the picuture speak a thousand words.

The toque and feces eating grin really makes the picuture speak a thousand words.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:48:48 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Both of these two ass clowns managed to hit a hostage during the team shoot...they were partners.
Protect & serve, guys...Protect & Serve.

Huh?  Oh that.....I thought that was a suggestion......dey were serious 'bout dat?!?!
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:50:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Hey, I figured out the secret.  Between the 'tactical shelf' and leaving my plugs in all day I barely knew I had the bell on!  

I still need to get some ISH morale patches made up though.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:59:56 PM EDT
[#41]
doubletap
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 8:56:15 PM EDT
[#42]
I (the younger Santa-hat wearer) had a ton of fun and definitely plan on coming again.  I'll just have to set a pay-check (or two) aside for some web-gear, a holster and possibly an EOTech.  Fortunately, my dad had a ball too.

I just couldn't belive how much better he did than me!  I'll just stick to blaming the EOTech on the gun he borrowed... of course, I'll have to disregard my age advantage and him not even having his glasses.  

ETA: Oh wow... I just checked the website and I guess I beat him afterall!  Even after he creamed me the first course and he had the same score second course.  I'm just lucky that was the first time he ever shot an AR-15 and it took him 15-30 seconds to reload!    We both missed two targets on the third course, I passed mine and couldn't back up, not sure what he did.

I just have to convince him he should get his own AR-15 and join me every time I shoot.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:30:52 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
ETA: Oh wow... I just checked the website and I guess I beat him afterall!  Even after he creamed me the first course and he had the same score second course.

Sorry, bud. I made a couple math errors that have since been corrected. The scores were correct, but the totals were wrong.
Your Dad smoked ya.

Now you both have a reason to come back. He did well, and you have to come back and kick his butt.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 8:49:01 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Sorry, bud. I made a couple math errors that have since been corrected. The scores were correct, but the totals were wrong.
Your Dad smoked ya.

Now you both have a reason to come back. He did well, and you have to come back and kick his butt.

Hah... great.  That looks a closer to what I first thought.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:22:56 AM EDT
[#45]
More photos from the match...

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:25:12 AM EDT
[#46]
You know, I was thinking about the ACTS concept.  Is there any other similar regular competition ANYWHERE?  I know about the three gun matches, but I haven't been to any.  Are they similar?  Are they held regularly, throughout the winter crappy weather months?  I like to think I have a decent amount of knowledge about gun issues.  Just ask me, I'm a wealth of useless information.  But I cannot think of another group like ours.

Another BIG THANKS to Tony for organizing this.

Good people, great competition training...what more could you ask for?

Cheers!

PS.  Those out there who may read this and be interested, but continue to come up with excuses why you won't attend/try it I say this.  Loooong time ago I remember an ad for the SoloFlex machine (remember those?).  It was a photo obviously set very early in the AM of a guy working out on the SoloFlex machine. The caption read, "Anyone can hit the snooze button"  That ad has stuck with me for decades.  When I want to do something, but don't have the drive, I'll remember that ad and think, "...do you want to be one of those (talk, but do nothing) guys?  Or are you going to be different and actually get off your ass and do something?!?!"

Anyway, it works for me....(I guess that ad-guy who came up with that ad had me in mind!)
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:56:42 PM EDT
[#47]
We just need to figure out how to get more daylight out of those Saturdays.  By June we should be a tuned up bunch of cardboard tapers and can get some side matches or stages in!  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:03:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Come June (or any time after DST), we will run 5 stage matches like we did in September.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:06:17 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Come June (or any time after DST), we will run 5 stage matches like we did in September.

We did 5?  Time flies.  To be honest I wouldn't be able to describe any individual stage other than the inaugural.  Things get a little blurry...
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:11:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Yup. We ran the 4 stage classifier, plus the long course..

remember being seated in the chair, armed with only a pistol?

At the buzzer, you shot the target right next to you, took his rifle, and went on the 200 yard killing spree...

...ending at the shot house full of hostages?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top