Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2003 10:33:26 PM EDT
I had written Granholm about the CCW and gun control in general a few months back, I finally got a reply and I was somewhat surprised.

Dear Mr. Foster:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about the important subjects of carrying a concealed weapon and gunc ontrol.  I am always encouraged by concerned citizens who engage their elected officials about issues that affect their families and communities.  This is truly a sign of a healthy democracy.

In the past, I supported the "may-issue" concealed carry law which gave gun boards the local authority to give licenses to carry a concealed weapon.  In this way, county boards were able to maintain control over who carried firearms based on local discretion and community standards.  Since the CCW bill passed, however, there have been few problems or a need for change.  Unless serious problems arise in the future, I have no intention of changing the current law.  I respect the rights of hunters, sportsmen, and law-abiding adults to purchase and own guns.  At the same time, those rights come with important responsibilities.  For gun owners, it's to keep their weapons safe and out-of-reach of minors and others who shouldn't have access to them.  For all of us, it's our responsibility to keep guns out of the hands of children, criminals, and persons with mental illness.

Let me assure you that any decision I am asked to make about the Michigan's carrying a concealed weapon and gun control as Governor will be made with diligent attention to detail and that full consideration will be given to the opinions of all parties involved.  Should my staff and I address this issue in the future, your comments will prove critical in providing us guidance.

Again, thank you for contacting my office.  As your Governor, it is important to me that citizens feel free to express their views, even though we may sometimes disagree.  Your involvement and your genuine concern for the issues that affect you, your family and your neighbors will help chart a course to a brighter future for our entire Michigan family.

Sincerely,
Jennifer M. Granholm
Governor

Link Posted: 9/20/2003 10:02:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Granholm talks out both sides of her face. I don't believe one word she says.

jim
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 8:03:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I think most politicians are like that.  Any word on if Nugent is actually going to run against her in the next election?  I remember he was talking about doing it...
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Any word on if Nugent is actually going to run against her in the next election?

If Ted Nugent runs for any office he has my vote. Period.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 4:04:25 PM EDT
[#4]
She's worse than your average politician IMHO.

Just remember, as much as I'd love to "send a message" to our government by voting some different party and whatnot, some times that can have unintended consequences. (e.g. my parents wanting to send a message in '92 by voting for Ross Perot... Now I liked Perot a lot but too many people voting for him took crucial votes away from Bush ... sorry for the threadjack ; ) )

jim
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 7:46:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I think most politicians are like that.  Any word on if Nugent is actually going to run against her in the next election?  I remember he was talking about doing it...

No Shit??  !!!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top