Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2003 3:54:04 PM EDT
Do any of you guys know of a good place to shoota 50BMG?
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 5:35:35 PM EDT
[#1]
If I could think of a place it would be really hard to resist purchasing one. I really really want one, but can't think of anywhere to go that would justify the expense.
Know any farmers?
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 6:42:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Start looking around at some of the State Game areas. If you can locate a spot that looks like it offers a safe backstop, you are legal to shoot there. The pit in Lapeer is available but it is only 100 yards deep.

I have heard that there is a gun club in the Midland area that has a 300 yard range (if I remember correctly). I dont have any other information about that though. There is another place down by Lansing somewhere called Family Shooters Corral (I think thats it). I seem to remember reading they have a long range but I don't know if they are .50 friendly and it seems they were pricey.

Next time I get up by Grayling I will be checking on a spot that I am almost certain is on state land and has probably better than 200 yards to shoot in. I drive by this spot a few times a year but have never thought to really look it over for target shooting.
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 6:53:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like I have a $7000 paperweight for most of the year.  It would be fun to goto a DNR site and shoot a few rounds.  I dont think the folks around me would be appreciative!

Might have to buy 40 acres just to go shoot!
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 7:49:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Family Shooters Coral is the place ya want. 300yd range and they LOVE 50's. My brother-in-law had one and they thought it was great when he brought it out. The place is actuallly in Eaton Rapids, call them for prices(family/ groups of four or more are cheaper) 517-663-3805. They also allow rapid fire at 25 yrds and shooting at things besides paper(pins, tennis balls, etc.rocko.
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 3:49:21 PM EDT
[#5]
The sand pit up in Lapeer would work. As stated it is only 100 yards long or so but it is free and fairly close.
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 6:02:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Midland has a 600 yard range.  Thursday nights about 6pm.  Helps if you're a member, but I don't think it's necessary.  IIRC, there's a place in saginaw, too...but i've never been there.
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 6:25:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Come to Texas. I have 300 yds in the back yard, 800 at the farm and as many thousand as you want at the deer lease.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 6:42:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Gee Doc, that's like asking about where you can drive a Ferrari.  If you like I can test it at a few places for you to see if it will work.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 12:46:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Check out some of the clear cut areas West of Higgins Lk. on state land. I'm sure you could find a place if you did a little 2 tracking.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:11:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Midland has a 600 yard range.  Thursday nights about 6pm.  Helps if you're a member, but I don't think it's necessary.  IIRC, there's a place in saginaw, too...but i've never been there.

Excellent range - they will take non members for the 600 yard shoots, but the membership is reasonable and there are 12.5, 25, 50, 100, 200, 300, 600 yard target frames plus a pistol range, and indoor smallbore (and maybe pistol) as well.  They also do CMP shoots on Saturdays if you don't have your Garand.  If you want, PM me and I will get contact info for one of the guys who runs the 600 yard shoots.

Edited to say - idiots built nice homes in a subdivision behind the backstops, so during the 600 yard shoots they do things in a fairly orderly fashion.  Not the place if you are looking to just blast at 600 yards, but still a nice range with a nice group of shooters who will enjoy a competent Barrett shooter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top