Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/25/2003 3:54:04 PM EDT
Do any of you guys know of a good place to shoota 50BMG?
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 5:35:35 PM EDT
If I could think of a place it would be really hard to resist purchasing one. I really really want one, but can't think of anywhere to go that would justify the expense.
Know any farmers?
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 6:42:19 PM EDT
Start looking around at some of the State Game areas. If you can locate a spot that looks like it offers a safe backstop, you are legal to shoot there. The pit in Lapeer is available but it is only 100 yards deep.

I have heard that there is a gun club in the Midland area that has a 300 yard range (if I remember correctly). I dont have any other information about that though. There is another place down by Lansing somewhere called Family Shooters Corral (I think thats it). I seem to remember reading they have a long range but I don't know if they are .50 friendly and it seems they were pricey.

Next time I get up by Grayling I will be checking on a spot that I am almost certain is on state land and has probably better than 200 yards to shoot in. I drive by this spot a few times a year but have never thought to really look it over for target shooting.
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 6:53:51 PM EDT
Looks like I have a $7000 paperweight for most of the year. It would be fun to goto a DNR site and shoot a few rounds. I dont think the folks around me would be appreciative!

Might have to buy 40 acres just to go shoot!
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 7:49:43 PM EDT
Family Shooters Coral is the place ya want. 300yd range and they LOVE 50's. My brother-in-law had one and they thought it was great when he brought it out. The place is actuallly in Eaton Rapids, call them for prices(family/ groups of four or more are cheaper) 517-663-3805. They also allow rapid fire at 25 yrds and shooting at things besides paper(pins, tennis balls, etc.rocko.
Link Posted: 4/26/2003 3:49:21 PM EDT
The sand pit up in Lapeer would work. As stated it is only 100 yards long or so but it is free and fairly close.
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 6:02:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ARDOC:

Midland has a 600 yard range. Thursday nights about 6pm. Helps if you're a member, but I don't think it's necessary. IIRC, there's a place in saginaw, too...but i've never been there.
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 6:25:53 PM EDT
Come to Texas. I have 300 yds in the back yard, 800 at the farm and as many thousand as you want at the deer lease.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 6:42:21 PM EDT

Gee Doc, that's like asking about where you can drive a Ferrari. If you like I can test it at a few places for you to see if it will work.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 12:46:52 PM EDT
Check out some of the clear cut areas West of Higgins Lk. on state land. I'm sure you could find a place if you did a little 2 tracking.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 6:11:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/5/2003 6:43:44 PM EDT by jchewie]

Originally Posted By lokt:

Midland has a 600 yard range. Thursday nights about 6pm. Helps if you're a member, but I don't think it's necessary. IIRC, there's a place in saginaw, too...but i've never been there.

Excellent range - they will take non members for the 600 yard shoots, but the membership is reasonable and there are 12.5, 25, 50, 100, 200, 300, 600 yard target frames plus a pistol range, and indoor smallbore (and maybe pistol) as well. They also do CMP shoots on Saturdays if you don't have your Garand. If you want, PM me and I will get contact info for one of the guys who runs the 600 yard shoots.

Edited to say - idiots built nice homes in a subdivision behind the backstops, so during the 600 yard shoots they do things in a fairly orderly fashion. Not the place if you are looking to just blast at 600 yards, but still a nice range with a nice group of shooters who will enjoy a competent Barrett shooter.
Top Top