Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2017 11:09:24 AM EDT
Hello, interested in moving to eastern Tennessee, and after getting flooded out for the 3rd time, it's time for a change. 

The price range in eastern tn is good for me, but I have no clue about which areas I need to stay away from/which ones are nice. 

I dont need upscale snobby neighbors, simple but polite folks are fine with me. I don't want to live in meth alley either. 

My price range is $200k and under, so I need to stay in that as I'll be taking a big cut in pay to move there. 

I really appreciate any insight yall can give me. Thanks! 
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:20:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Forgot to add,

shooting restrictions?

Any HOA expectations on a 30-40 acre piece of land? (Have to ask)

should I expect to pay full asking price/over or have some wiggle room typically?

what are my biggest concerns to expect? 

Ive lived in Texas/Louisiana my whole life on flat dirt land, so I don't know anything about the seasons, soil type, or weather up there. I've visited the gatliburg/sevier area several times on vacation through my life, and I know that it always kills me when I have to leave. 
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:06:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Rogersville is in Hawkins County, near Kingsport.  Beautiful country up here.  I have the pleasure of driving through it daily.  Lots of open farmland, as well as subdivisions.  Not sure of shooting restrictions, but most places allow shooting on private property in the county.  No personal income tax in TN.  Unsure of local property tax, as I live in Sevier County.  Lots of opportunities for employment in Kingsport, Bristol, and Johnson City.  If you're into hunting, lots of whitetail deer, turkey, and black bear here in Northeast Tennessee.  Good luck with your relocation!
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:10:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you very much for the info! It really is some gorgeous country up there. Been doing a lot of research today, it's looking like it'll be a great fit for me. I can't wait!
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 11:49:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Going by your description, Greenville, Rogersville, Johnson city or Kingsport would be right up your alley.  

There's a good mixture of out-of-towners there, just enough that the people are pretty nice and you don't see a ton of really overt rednecks causing trouble.  What I mean is, it's a little more civilized up the I-81 corridor, lol.  Rogersville is a nice town and has a pretty great 4th of July celebration.  On the other side of the interstate, you get closer to the Smokies and some of the views from Greenville area will make you weep.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 2:28:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Going by your description, Greenville, Rogersville, Johnson city or Kingsport would be right up your alley.  

There's a good mixture of out-of-towners there, just enough that the people are pretty nice and you don't see a ton of really overt rednecks causing trouble.  What I mean is, it's a little more civilized up the I-81 corridor, lol.  Rogersville is a nice town and has a pretty great 4th of July celebration.  On the other side of the interstate, you get closer to the Smokies and some of the views from Greenville area will make you weep.
View Quote
Thank you for the info! Talking to an agent up there, she said the same thing about the 4th celebration, she said it's really nice. I'd love to be able to afford to get a place with a little land closer to the bigger mountains on that side. Trying to buy something without having to go into debt if I can. I may just take my time and see what pops up on the market, but I'd like to get something before the year's end. 
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 2:35:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thank you for the info! Talking to an agent up there, she said the same thing about the 4th celebration, she said it's really nice. I'd love to be able to afford to get a place with a little land closer to the bigger mountains on that side. Trying to buy something without having to go into debt if I can. I may just take my time and see what pops up on the market, but I'd like to get something before the year's end. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing's stopping you from buying cheap and exploring the area for the next year or two until you find your "forever" home.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 3:05:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nothing's stopping you from buying cheap and exploring the area for the next year or two until you find your "forever" home.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not a bad idea! I never thought about that, makes total sense though. Hey, I appreciate the insight, thanks! Sometimes I get so wrapped up in what's going on around me over here, it gets hard for me to think outside the box. 
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 12:15:01 AM EDT
[#8]
My grandparents live there. Frankly, I find it to be a depressing, albeit beautiful place. A lot of poverty, but the countryside is nice I guess.
Link Posted: 1/12/2018 9:36:11 PM EDT
[#9]
You got some good advice already.  I would come on and like suggested get a place until you find your perfect place.  Shooting on your own land is gtg.  Just don't shoot within 100 yards of your neighbors dwelling.

oh and find a place we can stretch it out and shoot 800-1,000 and you will have a new best friend or ten.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 11:18:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Smokie, check your messages.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top