Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2006 6:17:31 AM EDT
Does anyone know of any good lawyers in Nashville who are proficient with gun issues?

I dont need one now but I was told when I got my carry permit I needed one and if someone claims one of my rifles is a machine gun a police officer told me that wether it's true or untrue, I should keep my mouth shut.

Looking in the yellow pages wont do it for me.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:30:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I know a retired army colonel in clarksville that is a stellar guy, Ill ask him and see what he says. I kno whe deals with most "criminal" stuff, but not sure how up on gun laws he is.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:49:23 PM EDT
[#2]
The TFA guy, something-Harris, is who you want in TN. Check the TFA web site & go from there, IMO.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:48:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The TFA guy, something-Harris, is who you want in TN. Check the TFA web site & go from there, IMO.

Good luck!

I'll second that and his name is John Harris  
TFA address is  http://www.tennesseefirearms.com

If your serious about your 2nd ammendment rights and carry laws in TN you should consider joining the TFA
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:19:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the help.

I joined the TFA, and am depressed at the lack of activity.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 3:09:23 PM EDT
[#5]
John Harris
7th floor 501 Union Building
P.O.Box 190676
Nashville, TN. 37219
615-244-6670
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:51:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks for the help.

+1

If you lead, I'll follow!    
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:41:57 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks for the help.

I agree that the TFA Forum doesn’t see much action but there is some good information on the site and John and others will respond to intelligent questions.  
I think the general problem is complacency in TN Gun owners.  Our laws and public attitude towards guns are better than most places so it’s easy to not get involved and push for better legislation.  We, myself included would rather spend our time on other gun forums like ARFCOM, GT or Brian Enos reading and writing about things that interest us more.  YMMV

Bob is correct,   John is looking for people interested in taking on some leadership responsibility particularly in Middle, TN
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:18:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I agree that the TFA Forum doesn’t see much action but there is some good information on the site and John and others will respond to intelligent questions.
I think the general problem is complacency in TN Gun owners. Our laws and public attitude towards guns are better than most places so it’s easy to not get involved and push for better legislation. We, myself included would rather spend our time on other gun forums like ARFCOM, GT or Brian Enos reading and writing about things that interest us more. YMMV

I think I will disagree with you on this.  Our laws are not better.  We can not carry concealed into a resturant that happens to serve drinks....  The state allows businesses to post, at will, their refusal to allow people to carry concealed in their business establishments.  Then the state will not give us the opportunity to safely store our firearms in a locked car in the parking lot if we decide to do business at these establishments.  There are prohibitions against concealed carry in public parks and such.  We do not yet have a "castle doctrine" and probably won't if Jimmy gets his way.  The state is considering banning tasers for citizens and security personnel.  Our concealed carry permit is expensive.  When you purchase a firearm you have to give them finger prints.

On the surface it appears that Tennessee is more loving to firearms and gun owners but just underneath that surface it is not so.  

Now also consider your average Tennessee Bubba.  We all have guns... we all know guns... heck I'll bet most of us have fired a gun once or twice... our problem is that we all are "Life" members of the NRA and we don't want to continue giving to anything.  We are so apathetic because we know we live in a gun friendly state and we don't have to do any more.  We, ourselves, and our friends are so familar with guns we forget that there are a lot of folks that don't give a hoot about guns and would just as soon see them all melted into plow shears.

Someone in this thread mention they were a member of TFA but were disappointed because they didn't see more activity.  The implication was that they were thinking of not being a member or it is a waste of their resources.  I imagine John and his friends are rowing the boat just as hard as they can and would welcome someone else taking an oar for awhile.  But is not just activity but the numbers of members.  When John goes down to Legislative Plaza to lobby for or against a bill, he needs to be able to say he has the support of XXX Thousands of Tennesseans and he does that by having members in the organization.  We all should be a member of the NRA and the TFA.  If we can not be active, we can support those who are.

Let me climb down off this soap box so someone else can have their say.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:33:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Stayed informed.

Tennessee Firearms Association

HKO
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:40:22 AM EDT
[#10]
OK TnRedneck
Our laws and public attitude towards guns are better than most SOME places.  I think the rest we can agree on.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:58:10 AM EDT
[#11]
tagged for info!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:41:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I think the general problem is complacency in TN Gun owners. Our laws and public attitude towards guns are better than most places so it’s easy to not get involved and push for better legislation. We, myself included would rather spend our time on other gun forums like ARFCOM, GT or Brian Enos reading and writing about things that interest us more. YMMV

I think I will disagree with you on this.  Our laws are not better.  We can not carry concealed into a resturant that happens to serve drinks....  The state allows businesses to post, at will, their refusal to allow people to carry concealed in their business establishments.  Then the state will not give us the opportunity to safely store our firearms in a locked car in the parking lot if we decide to do business at these establishments.  There are prohibitions against concealed carry in public parks and such.  We do not yet have a "castle doctrine" and probably won't if Jimmy gets his way.  The state is considering banning tasers for citizens and security personnel.  Our concealed carry permit is expensive.  When you purchase a firearm you have to give them finger prints.

On the surface it appears that Tennessee is more loving to firearms and gun owners but just underneath that surface it is not so.  

Now also consider your average Tennessee Bubba.  We all have guns... we all know guns... heck I'll bet most of us have fired a gun once or twice... our problem is that we all are "Life" members of the NRA and we don't want to continue giving to anything.  We are so apathetic because we know we live in a gun friendly state and we don't have to do any more.  We, ourselves, and our friends are so familar with guns we forget that there are a lot of folks that don't give a hoot about guns and would just as soon see them all melted into plow shears.

Someone in this thread mention they were a member of TFA but were disappointed because they didn't see more activity.  The implication was that they were thinking of not being a member or it is a waste of their resources.  I imagine John and his friends are rowing the boat just as hard as they can and would welcome someone else taking an oar for awhile.  But is not just activity but the numbers of members.  When John goes down to Legislative Plaza to lobby for or against a bill, he needs to be able to say he has the support of XXX Thousands of Tennesseans and he does that by having members in the organization.  We all should be a member of the NRA and the TFA.  If we can not be active, we can support those who are.

Let me climb down off this soap box so someone else can have their say.

I made that comment and the implication you speak of is wrong. I joined after I reviewed the forum, and the entire website. I did not think it was a waste of time or resources. Thats why I choose to join, I find great value in it. I am simply dissapointed at the lack of activity.

Dont read into my posts. You wont find anything.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:39:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Waldo0506, since I was wrong, I apologize for drawing an implication into your words that was not there.  I'm sorry and certainly did not mean to offend you.

MCFooter, yes, I think we all can agree that Tennessee is better than at least 12 other states of the Union.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:28:55 AM EDT
[#14]
I think I need to add this.

I didnt ask about a Nashville lawyer due to any recent AR15.com event. I do not need a lawyer, and nobody has asked me to help them find one.

My timing was just suspicious.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:34:56 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I didnt ask about a Nashville lawyer due to any recent AR15.com event.

What about a future one??????????      
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:31:16 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
 Then the state will not give us the opportunity to safely store our firearms in a locked car in the parking lot if we decide to do business at these establishments.  

I thought you could leave your gun cased/locked in your car?  Do I misundertand that to be legal?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:55:48 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 Then the state will not give us the opportunity to safely store our firearms in a locked car in the parking lot if we decide to do business at these establishments.  

I thought you could leave your gun cased/locked in your car?  Do I misundertand that to be legal?

I'm thinking it depends on whose property you do this. If it is the establishment's property, then it is illegal.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:22:28 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm thinking it depends on whose property you do this. If it is the establishment's property, then it is illegal.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.

I believe this is only an problem if the entrance of parking lot is properly posted.  
I think this is more of an issue for employees of companys that don't deal directly with the public and choose to post all entrances to the property.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:54:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I think "illegal" may be a bit strong. All they can do is ask you to leave, IMO. OTOH, a govt location may be a different story, i.e. post office, schools, etc. etc.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:54:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:49:08 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
There is also a guy I shot High Power with in Tullahoma. Last name is Van Cleef. I know he has something to do with the Tennessee Shooting Sports Foundation. Pretty sure he is from Nashville also.

His name is VanCleave. He is from near Lynchburg, not Nashville. He does not handle gun issues as far as I know.

Your best bet *by far* is to contact the TFA and speak with John Harris.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:41:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top