Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2005 6:04:14 PM EDT
I have a colt combat elite that has ambi safety, mag well, trigger, looks to be lowered and flared.Unknown who started the customizing. I would like to have a GOOD gunsmith go over it and also install some good night sights. I am in West TEnn around jackson.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:39:49 PM EDT
[#1]
HI ZOE.....BIGJOHN HERE.  I'M IN THE NASHVILLE AREA. DON'T KNOW IF YOU WANT TO DRIVE THIS FAR, BUT I RECOMMEND...FRANKLIN GUN SHOP IN FRANKLIN, TN. ( ABOUT 30 MINS. SOUTH OF NASHVILLE ON I-65 ). THEY DID SOME WORK FOR MY ON A KIMBER .45, AND I WAS VERY PLEASED.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:09:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Jeff Walle at Specialty Arms in LaVergne is a world class gunsmith and  a hell of a nice guy as well. He was three time state IPSC champion and he loves 1911s. Anyway,he has done some work for me that was outstanding and I'm sure could do the same for you. However,this is also in middle TN and not west. Maybe Hank will know?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:09:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Zoe,
Have you tried William McClannahan's old place in Humbolt?

William no longer owns the place if I'm not mistaken, but his EXCELLENT gunsmith has stayed.  I hven't been by in a while, but i've had work done by him in the past and I've been more than satisfied with the results.
If you have any questions as to his integrity all you have to do is look past the counter into the shop area...got to be 100's of guns back there for repair.  I'm not the only one who had faith in the guy.

I'm pretty sure the store's name is "WMC Firearms".

good luck
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:40:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies. I live in Medina which is close to Humbolt. McClanahan does have a good rep. and a very nice collection. I have just never heard of anyone letting them work on a 1911. I guess I will take it to WMC. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:23:25 PM EDT
[#5]
If they dont work out, I have a relative in Jackson who is a gunsmith who will take a look at it.
He is into competition shooting to include handloads.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:37:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I would call Dixie Gun Works out in Union City & ask them who they can recommend????

Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:56:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:07:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Ed Mason Gunsmiths at Dowdle Sports on Germantown Pkwy in Cordova have done good jobs for me in the past.

Quoted:
that said, the rest of that shop sucks. good selection, standard prices, but they didn't earn the nickname 'Guns and Assholes' for nothing.

I'm relieved to hear that.  I thought they just hated me for some reason.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:30:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:07:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Yep -G&A have a great selection of merchandise ,and have a good gunsmith-so Ive been told ,but most of their staff have a distinct lack of customer service skills. Unless I absolutely needs some thing from them -I dont do business with them.

But if you are in Memphis and dont offend easily they are located on Summer Ave.

+1 on Ed Mason -Ive had them do quite a bit of stuff for me over the years -never been let down with their work. They are in the back of Dowdles Sporting Goods on Germantown Parkway in Cordova.

Hope this helps you out.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:06:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Ed Mason Gunsmiths at Dowdle Sports on Germantown Pkwy in Cordova have done good jobs for me in the past.

Quoted:
that said, the rest of that shop sucks. good selection, standard prices, but they didn't earn the nickname 'Guns and Assholes' for nothing.

I'm relieved to hear that.  I thought they just hated me for some reason.  

+1 on Ed and Phil is a great guy.

Guns & Assholes are just that. There are only a few guys that work there that I might piss on if they were on fire. The rest are pure asswipes. I buy elsewhere even if I have to pay more.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:27:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Zoe theres a gunsmith in Mckenzie who does all the work for Powells gun shop, all his work has to go through Mark Powell, owner of Powells. This guy is the one who tricked out my officers model 1911, never met the guy because he only go's through Mark but from what i know he's very good and reasonably priced. Powells is only open Fri. and Sat., he works full time at Milan Arsenol, him and my dad worked together many years, a little arrogant but knows his shit, His shop is just south of Mckenzie on 22 next to a used car lot. Tell him i sent you and i get a new Glock half price , any questions just give me a ring.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:32:28 PM EDT
[#13]
thanks for the info hydro
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top