Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2003 9:31:28 PM EDT
Hey guys, I'm new to the forums and relatively new to TN. Great site!
I have a question concerning carrying a pistol in my car. I can't get a concealed carry liscence right now because I've been convicted of a DUI within the last five years. (I know, I'm an idiot. I've learned my lesson. Won't happen again.) Anyway, I'm originally from Louisiana and your car is considered an extention of your home. You're allowed to carry any firearm anywhere in your car loaded or not. I read that in TN, if you have a pistol in your car that is has to be out of reach and the ammo has to be seperate from the weapon.
My question, what exactly does out of reach mean? glove box? backseat? trunk?
Also, ammo seperate? Does that mean just unloaded or out of reach of the gun, or what? Hopefully one of you guys has an answer because I can't find one on the net. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 4:16:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Typicaly out of reach means where you cannot reach it from the drivers seat. Ammo can be sitting right next to it just not in it.

PS www.packing.org
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 4:21:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Or you can have it locked in a case with the ammo in the case also. In this case it could sit alittle closer.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 8:53:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Where are you from In La.?
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 3:03:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Baton Rouge
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 1:49:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Baton Rouge

Me too. I now live in Lincoln county.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 7:52:42 AM EDT
[#6]
TN follows the three step rule.  Gun in the trunk and ammo in the glove box type deal.  Gun in the back seat in a locked case can count as in the trunk.  You can not be able to reach both the gun and the ammo from the drivers seat (exclusion is standard cab pickup where it must be behind the seat or under it.)  A little leeway is given if you are obviously on the way to the range.  However, never get caught with the gun loaded in the car.  Especially around the 3 cities.  (Memphis, Nashville and Knoxville)  The cops tend to be too citified and quite closed minded about things.  The rural cops are a bit more open minded concerning firearms in the car.  What part of TN you in now?  Also, I was in BR just the other day....
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 2:58:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the info. I'm in Nashville.

Well, I think I'm going to take my chances with a pistol in an unlocked case in the backseat and ammo in the glove box until I can get a CCL. I'd rather take that chance than need my gun and not be able to get at it fairly quickly.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 6:39:56 PM EDT
[#8]
In case you didn't know, a new range just opened up in Nashville.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 7:53:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I heard, thanks. I'm waiting until Tues or Wed to go. That's when my new 1911 arrives. I cant wait :D.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top