Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 7/24/2017 9:12:08 PM EDT
The 14 year old has finally paid for his rail and receiver set, and is building a Star Wars E-11 Stormtrooper blaster clone for his first AR. So we need to get the rail, upper and lower, and receiver extension cerakoted white. Does anyone have any recommendations, and maybe a ballpark price for the kid's budget planning? We're in Farmington, but I get to SLC regularly.

thanks-
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 1:39:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Kickback coatings I thought was in the Layton area but I just saw on their website that it's in Riverdale. Not sure if that would work out for you. 
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 2:09:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Kickback coatings I thought was in the Layton area but I just saw on their website that it's in Riverdale. Not sure if that would work out for you. 
View Quote
It is in Riverdale. It it about 5 mins north of the Hill AFB north gate.  It's pretty easy to get to, as its in a strip mall behind a furniture store I cannot remember its name.....

I had a AICS stock set done by them.  The workmanship/ quality of their shop is fine, their turnaround time........ not so much.  They got a commercial contract with a manufacturer just after I dropped my goods off with them and my 1 month turn around time turned into a month and 3 weeks, 3 phone calls and a "hey, you can pick it up XXXX day", to which I go to the shop that morning early to hopefully hit the range that afternoon.  Nope,  sat around and bullshitted with the shop guys till 4pm that day waiting for the final top clearcoat to be applied and dry that day.  

The guys are cool enough and and don't have anything negative to say about the work quality, but the overall vibe I got was basically they don't care about the individual one-off sales and are focusing on the commercial contracts more so now.  Don't really blame them, as that's where the money is vs one random guys' sale.  They made it seem like the commercial contracts were going to start being a regular thing, not just a big run here or there.

Don't want to trash their name or reputation, but just making you aware that you may have an experience like mine if you're being squished between a commercial sized contract and you'll need to be patient, or you could catch them at a good time and have a quick turn around.  I was able to be patient as the 700 barrel was still at the smith getting fitted at the time the stock was getting coated

So, in short, I'd call them and have them give you a forecast or their schedule.  If you can be patient and wait, I'd have them do it.  If it needs to be done quickly, you'll probably have better luck mailing it out to a place that has faster turn around.  I have had Olympic Cerakote in Washington state get parts back to me in less than 2 weeks when they had a sale going on.

Good Luck, and post your results

P.S.  There are pics of my multicam'ed AICS  700 in the precision rifle pic thread if you wanna see their work
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 8:14:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Had good results with Joe Firearms in Sandy, but that's obviously a little further than you requested. (not mine)

Link Posted: 11/14/2017 12:48:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Finally got it coated, back, and built. The 14 year old did just about all of it himself. (Got to learn how to use a torque wrench in the process.) Used Joe Firearms for the cerakote. Wasn't super impressed, as there was a noticeably different shade on the two sides of both upper and lower, but it isn't really noticeable now that it has a little dirt on it. Also understand that white is apparently the hardest color to do really well. But the boy is thrilled. Caught him standing in front of the mirror with it twice already...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 8:22:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Feel bad for recommending now.

I think it looks good though. Maybe go over it with some model paint to give it that worn look..

Link Posted: 11/17/2017 4:23:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd ascribe my "meh" response mostly to expectations management, I think. The white cerakoted gun they had on the wall has a completely different look/texture to it. Turns out that one had been clear coated and more carefully sprayed. The counter guy who took my parts didn't know anything about the process, didn't know to offer that. The guy who gave it to me when I picked it up started off with a "you know what to expect when you get white, right?" spiel. No, I didn't...

I might use them again in a push, (someone who will actually answer the phone, and then take a gun tomorrow and return it in a week or two was surprisingly hard to find in the SLC area) but I'd definitely be much more specific about what I wanted and ask more questions about what I was getting. $250 for a gun colorization isn't trivial, but I didn't know what I didn't know. And they could have been a little better with the spraying part of the process. But the kid is happy, so that's all that matters.
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top