Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 7/13/2017 3:47:36 AM EDT
Greetings Utah HTF, I am in need of some insight/assistance in regards to finding a good/decent attorney in your state.

Friend of mine from church is looking to get his CPL in WA (lived in Utah for years) and recently discovered that a misdemeanor for a bad check he wrote 25 years ago by accident while living/resident of Utah, is considered a felony in WA.

I am actually curious if anyone knows of a good attorney that he can contact to possibly get the ball rolling on having the charge expunged, so that he can get his state CPL in WA and actually be able to purchase firearms again.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 1:32:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Try this guy:

http://www.chadmckaylaw.com/

If he can't, he can point you in the right direction.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 12:49:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try this guy:

http://www.chadmckaylaw.com/

If he can't, he can point you in the right direction.
View Quote
Thank you very much, I'll pass this along to my friend.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 7:03:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Is your friend able to come out to Utah personally?

If so, he can take care of this issue by himself. All he needs to do is go to the Bureau of Criminal Investigations (BCI) and fill out this eligibility form along with a $50 application fee. If his charge is eligible for expungement, then he'll be notified by snail mail a few days after his application is received. The kicker here is that once he receives his eligibility papers, he only has a small window of time to care of it; this window is I believe 30 days, maybe 90 days. In his eligibility packet, he'll be given a list of all charges available for expungement (these will include traffic citations) and a list of courts he can visit to have them expunged. There's typically a $100 fee per criminal charge that will accompany the expungement and each charge to be expunged has to be done so at the court it was originally processed through and he, or a person representing him, must appear personally to have the charge removed.

If he only has one charge, he's looking at about $100 and the $50 application fee for the eligibility form. If he goes through an attorney, the average fees start out at around $5,000. I could be wrong about the attorney's fees, but that's what I was quoted when I tried to do this. I ended up doing mine myself and I wasted about 3 days of work and lost wages, but took care of mine for well below the attorney's price.
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top