Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 4/4/2017 4:26:54 PM EDT
Visiting my sister, she's been in SLC since 2012 but this will be my first visit. Looking for things to do. So far, I've got the USAF museum and the Browning museum on my list. She also has some friends that like to go "bunny flipping", which apparently involves the shooting of jackrabbits. Not sure if they are considered pest animals, or if there is a season, or if permits are required. No idea. Also looking to do some hiking. Hiking, not mountain climbing. Any suggestions for good scenic trails are appreciated. Any can't miss restaurants? I've heard Pat's BBQ, Lone Star Taqueria and Bohemian Brewery. Are these GTG? Any others? Thanks in advance and I can't wait to see your beautiful state! 
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 5:46:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Ensign Peak is a short walk and overlooks the entire city. Depending on where you hike, you may see some moose. I think the Lake Blanche Trail is where I saw some last time. There are some hot springs down near Provo. Pretty cool if you've never seen them before.

Pie Pizza is good. I don't really eat out so that's all the help I can give you there.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:22:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Bohemian has kick A German food and good (low abv) beer
Lucky 13 by the bees stadium has good burgers
Plenty of good Mexican food around here
If you are a beer guy, hit the bayou or beerhive

Easy hikes with a good view, try cecret lake, sundial peak, snowbird has the gondola to take you to the top. Might could hike that in June. Albion basin is world famous for wildflowers that time of year.

Natural history museum is cool and there are decent hikes behind it.

Sandlot was filmed here. You could see smalls house

Lake Blanche was mentioned. It's a great hike. It goes up a lot though.

White pine lake is a great hike that is fairly flat as it goes up and old logging trail. It's got great views at the end too. If you aren't wanting to "mountain climb" it would be a great one.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 7:32:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the suggestions, gents.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 1:26:31 AM EDT
[#4]
If I were a pig, my aspiration would be to be BBQ'd at Pat's.

Look here for hikes.  Not all are the SLC area, but I imagine you could find enough to keep you busy.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 11:29:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out TNT gun range...only indoor trap range in North America. They also have a 270 degree training sim with retrofitted guns that is a blast.

Alpine slide & zip lines in Park City are fun, as is downhill mountain biking at the ski resorts.

Bell Canyon Resevoir is a good day hike.

And definitely eat at Lone Star taqueria. I eat there weekly.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:42:23 PM EDT
[#6]
There is a season for jackrabbits. It is from Sun up on January 1st to Sun down on December 31st. 

Shoot all you want. 22, shot gun, 223, whatever. Don't touch them. They sometimes have Tularemia. Just leave 'em where they lie. The coyotes will take care of the rest.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 8:37:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check out TNT gun range...only indoor trap range in North America. They also have a 270 degree training sim with retrofitted guns that is a blast.

Alpine slide & zip lines in Park City are fun, as is downhill mountain biking at the ski resorts.

Bell Canyon Resevoir is a good day hike.

And definitely eat at Lone Star taqueria. I eat there weekly.
View Quote
That's already on the to-do list

thanks for the other suggestions
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 8:39:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is a season for jackrabbits. It is from Sun up on January 1st to Sun down on December 31st. 

Shoot all you want. 22, shot gun, 223, whatever. Don't touch them. They sometimes have Tularemia. Just leave 'em where they lie. The coyotes will take care of the rest.
View Quote
That was my understanding.

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 1:01:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Just wanted to drop in and say thanks for all of the suggestions. I had a blast in your beautiful city! Lucky 13, Bohemian Brewery, Pie Pizza, Pat's BBQ, Lone Star Taqueria, Wasatch Brew Pub... all amazing!

We did some hiking on Catherine Pass, Cecret Lake, and Desolation Trail. I was surprised at how much snow remains even in June. We also got to see the sunset from Ensign Peak. Did a little bit of rock climbing (my first time) in Big Cottonwood Canyon. I even got to take in a RSL game last weekend. We also spent some time up on Antelope Island. Saw lots of bison, but no antelope.

On Monday, we went to the Hill AFB museum. The executive pastor at my sister's church is a retired USAF colonel with 30 years of flying C-130's and he used to volunteer at the museum. He took us up there and gave us a kind of private guided tour. It certainly beat just walking around and reading the plaques. We also got to meet an old WWII pilot that flew C-47s during the Berlin Airlift. All around, that was a fun day. Afterwards he took us to the Gun Vault range we did a little shooting. I was disappointed when I heard him refer to AR15's as "assault weapons". Hey, nobody's perfect.

Everyone I met was super nice and welcoming. There were bicyclists everywhere. My only complaint would be that your roads are horrendous. I would imagine that the alignment shops and chiropractors stay busy. All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed myself and feel like I barely scratched the surface of things to do in SLC. I'll definitely be back again!

thanks again gents!
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top