Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 10/12/2016 6:07:07 PM EDT
Looking at a job at the SLC Airport.

I know nothing about the area. I assume there is a "suburb" to the city.
What's a nice area that's not a brutal commute to the airport and has good schools for grades 5-12?

Link Posted: 10/12/2016 6:32:51 PM EDT
[#1]
North Salt Lake
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 8:12:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 8:45:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Stansbury Park.

Property is still going relatively inexpensive considering proximity to the airport (much less than $100 sq foot).

Lake Point if you want a 1+ acre lot, but you are closer to the rail road tracks.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 12:24:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Another vote for West or South Jordan. Parts of West Jordan can get a little sketchy (mostly the parts closer to West Valley/Taylorsville/Kearns). Take Bangerter Highway straight in to the airport to work.

Definitely not Magna. There's a reason housing is cheap there.

There are okay parts of West Valley City, but not many. I work there. I don't live there.

Tooele, Stansbury Park and Grantsville are bedroom communities. But there's only one way in to town, and that's I-80. If there's a crash or major weather issues, you're not getting in to the airport any time soon.

Link Posted: 10/13/2016 1:02:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Bountiful seems like a very nice place and I would imagine has some of the better schools. It's a little further than some of the other areas mentioned though.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 7:02:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Bro the other thing to consider is what that area you are moving into is going to be like in 5-10-15+ years.

My wife and I spent alot of time thinking the same issues, although I work at Dugway.  We chose MIDVALE initially as the proximity to brewery's and nice restaurants as well as being centrally located in the valley.  She could go to the U and I could commute to Dugway.

I had been stationed in Tooele before and knew going that far in wasn't such a great choice.

I wouldn't reccomend you to go Tooele or Grantsville, also they are too rural and their schools aren't so good and aren't going to get better.  The positive thing is that the "other side of the Oquirrihs" are going to grow, as once the prison relocates - there isn't going to be much more housing development in the SL valley urban sprawl.

Hobbies.  You are on AR15.com - so hopefully firearms and shooting is a hobby - in Stansbury you are closer to the western desert public lands for target shooting.  If you are thinking of getting into LONG range shooting there are many great places for 1+ mile target shooting.  Its pretty fun actually SEEING your bullets go transonic and see the shift & drop!  Or watching the wavy spiral of the bullets supersonic trace!  

Stansbury also has a nice golf course, not THE NICEST, but, decent.

Stansbury Park is tough to beat.  We are voting on NOV 8 whether to incorporate into a City, so taxes maybe going up - but hell, thats everywhere.

Also, your career.  When you get burned out of being at the airport around the mouth breathing masses everyday, you are going to look for greener pastures.

Its a weird analogy, but those greener pastures are out in the West Desert (Dugway).  

Cheers!

Will
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 10:00:08 PM EDT
[#7]
There are a fair amount of airport employees including myself that live in the grantsville, erda, lakepoint, stansbury and tooele area. Its about 30 mins on the nose to the airport, the commute isn't bad. Stansbury will give you the most suburb feeling, I can't speak to the school systems.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 3:19:47 AM EDT
[#8]
South Jordan or West Jordan unless you want to spend a lot of time down town, which I personally don't.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 4:25:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Subscribed. Thank you for the great answers guys. OP's situation is nearly identical to my own. I may IM some of you guys to see if you'd be up for meeting up when I scout out local areas soon. Excited to learn about Utah!
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:07:58 AM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Subscribed. Thank you for the great answers guys. OP's situation is nearly identical to my own. I may IM some of you guys to see if you'd be up for meeting up when I scout out local areas soon. Excited to learn about Utah!
View Quote
I'm confident that any of us would be glad to help a fellow ARFCommer out.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 6:02:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Another vote for West or South Jordan. Parts of West Jordan can get a little sketchy (mostly the parts closer to West Valley/Taylorsville/Kearns). Take Bangerter Highway straight in to the airport to work.

Definitely not Magna. There's a reason housing is cheap there.

There are okay parts of West Valley City, but not many. I work there. I don't live there.

Tooele, Stansbury Park and Grantsville are bedroom communities. But there's only one way in to town, and that's I-80. If there's a crash or major weather issues, you're not getting in to the airport any time soon.

View Quote

Pretty much this.

Working at the airport, you have a very different commuting outlook than the folks going downtown.  The western edges of the valley are a real pain if you're commuting downtown, but you can get to the airport relatively easily.  Going west, Tooele County is not quite a suburb of SLC so it'll have more of a rural small town feel, for better and worse.  Lots of it depends on your housing budget.  Southern Davis County is an easy commute to the airport as well--even Farmington is probably 20 minutes from the airport without much risk of bad traffic.  

I live on the very east side of Bountiful and the airport is 20-25 minutes for me; pretty good schools too.  Probably more expensive on average than the western Salt Lake County areas and Tooele County.  I love having a view of the valley--way more than I thought I would actually.  Also the Bountiful gun range is 5 minutes away.  Traffic between the south edge of Farmington and downtown SLC is almost never a concern, and if it is you have multiple highway options (I-15 and Legacy Parkway) and surface streets.  Even less of an issue if you're heading to the airport instead of SLC.  I have a pretty good feel for southern Davis Co., but not so much for western Salt Lake County; feel free to PM me.

As a rule, property gets more expensive as you go east and up in elevation.  If you want to check commutes, run your potential commuting route on Google Maps at rush hour with the traffic turned on, also look at the UDOT traffic (http://udottraffic.utah.gov/, there's a smartphone app as well).
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 10:52:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm adding myself to this conversation.
I have two job opportunities located at the airport and schools would be very important since I have a 16 year old.

We're also LDS so the whole "Mormon" fear isn't an issue.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 9:13:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Welcome brasilia. I have been looking at Stansford Park and Bountiful online, checking the schools and homes on zillow and redfin. My youngster is eleven. I'm planning to visit later this month or in January.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 2:58:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm surprised no one mentioned Trax as a viable commuting option for an airport job. It runs straight to the terminal and may open up some commuting options.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 2:43:58 PM EDT
[#15]

West Jordan and South Jordan are nice.  The airport is a quick drive as stated, maybe 20-25 minutes.  Trax map above.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 1:32:12 AM EDT
[#16]
It doesn't really matter where you go because Utah doesn't really have any bad areas, but I would probably steer clear of Rose Park, Glendale, and anything within 0.5 miles of State Street, Main Street, or the trains.. There's nothing wrong with the areas I mentioned but RP & Glendale are a bit lower class than other places and State/Main/Train areas will usually have a high amount of commercial property in them, so we're talking car dealerships, hospitals, retail stores, etc. which aren't very suburban IMO.
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 9:55:47 PM EDT
[#17]
How about Holladay or Cottonwood Heights?   Plus vs minus?
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 8:53:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How about Holladay or Cottonwood Heights?   Plus vs minus?
View Quote

I think Cottonwood Heights has the highest per capita income in the state, or it did when I lived there. That should give you an indication of what it's like up there.

Link Posted: 12/30/2016 4:41:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Hello guys, just checking in again. I'm still planning to visit in January. I have been looking at Riverton. What are your good and bad perceptions of the Riverton area?
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 9:26:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Hello guys, just checking in again. I'm still planning to visit in January. I have been looking at Riverton. What are your good and bad perceptions of the Riverton area?
View Quote
One of my offices is in Riverton. I work there regularly. Nice place, lots of young families, lots of new home construction in Riverton and Herriman. It's the area of the most growth in the Salt Lake Valley right now.

Tends to be pretty conservative. Lots of us Mormons there, but don't let that worry you. 

My other office is in West Valley City. Going from one office to another is night and day. WVC has all the smokers and inkies and is more politically liberal. Riverton doesn't have any of that sort of nonsense.

Link Posted: 12/31/2016 3:41:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Thank you eastonj!
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 11:45:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 2:25:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

No longer at the West Jordan office?  I live not far from that one.  Nice neighborhood, close to shopping, Bangerter, 215 and TRAX.
View Quote
Oh, I'm still there. For clinic, I work about 45% in WVC, 45% in Riverton and maybe 10% in West Jordan. 

Our clinic now has something like 20 locations. I only work at those 3, but I'm also the director of medical records, and do the training for new physicians. So, I visit all of our locations with some regularity. 
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 4:28:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 5:10:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Are they still planning that expansion to the south in WJ?
View Quote
South? Or west?

I think we own that property directly west of our current building on 90th and 32nd. We have tentative plans to build another building there and move our Pain department and possibly imaging center there. We contemplated this a couple of years ago, but put it on hold. We had a couple of significant mergers and acquisitions and these take a major bite out of cash flow for several months until the new physicians' billings catch up.

As I recall, you're on planning and zoning for WJ, aren't you?
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 10:56:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 10:20:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Lots of folks are suggesting where I grew up: South Jordan.

That is pretty cool.

Yeah, you can get to the airport in 20 minutes on Bangerter Highway. Even before Bangerter, you could get on the freeway on a straight-shot down 10400 (10600) to I-15 and get to the airport in 25 minutes.

South Jordan had an extremely conservative mayors while I was growing up, and they pushed laws requiring house sizes, made renting houses illegal, and made building multi-unit complexes illegal. I don't know what the laws are like now, but back then, they passed those laws to keep the riff-raff in West Valley and West Jordan.

As a result, South Jordan has better neighborhoods compared to West Valley and West Jordan.

The whole area South Jordan, Riverton, Bluffdale, Herriman... We all went to the same HS together. Bingham. Now there are ~4 or 5 different High Schools, the areas have grown so much.

Riverton would add ~5-10 more minutes to your commute. Herriman would add ~10-20 minutes to your commute. But you will probably find less-pricy options in Riverton compared to South Jordan. There are some expensive looking neighborhoods in South Jordan.

Daybreak area is in South Jordan, and I don't know what houses are going for there...

Good luck. I had a great time growing up there. Back in the day, we could go shoot out near Herriman against the Army property, or on the other side of the freeway at Widowmaker. There are houses there now.

But, with a short drive out of civilization, you will be in West Desert where you can shoot all day long, and camp all day long and not see anyone else.

If you are willing to drive for a bit, you can find yourself in the middle of nowhere in Utah. Guns and a dirtbike... Lots of fun growing up in Utah.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 12:26:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Looking at a job at the SLC Airport.

I know nothing about the area. I assume there is a "suburb" to the city.
What's a nice area that's not a brutal commute to the airport and has good schools for grades 5-12?
View Quote

After living in Midvale, South Jordan, and Taylorsville, we settled in East Layton. It's become a bit more congested in the past couple years, but still very manageable and very convenient. Save for visiting the zoo, there's almost no reason for us to drive down to SLC anymore. With the new Cabelas  in Farmington and now an Ocean Mart in Roy I'm set up here haha! Plus, living so close to the base my son is treated to free air shows. He loves it when the A10s fly over the house!
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 12:34:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm adding myself to this conversation.
I have two job opportunities located at the airport and schools would be very important since I have a 16 year old.
We're also LDS so the whole "Mormon" fear isn't an issue.
View Quote

I'm not LDS, and don't understand the Mormon fear. Most of my neighbors are LDS and they've been nothing but nice to us. Some keep a polite distance, but we are kind of loner-ish so that's perfectly fine. Despite some of the alarming things we were told before leaving Ohio, I never encountered any hostility nor any aggressive conversion attempts.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 12:49:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Summit County.

SLC is narsty.  Would still live there over UT county though.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 1:55:50 PM EDT
[#31]
I live in West Jordan just east of Redwood Road in an older development.  Our house was built in 1953 and we have been restoring it for the last 5 years.  If you don't have to have a ton of living space an older home can be great.  The neighborhood is great we know just about everyone on the block.  People help each other and are always friendly.  My advice is to stay away from Midvale, which is east of the Jordan River and West of State Street.  They have some undesirables in that area.  If you are fairly close to Bangater Hwy or 215 your trip to the airport should be a breeze.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:09:52 PM EDT
[#32]
@pathfinder74

What did you find out?

Did anyone that visited have any insight.

Im moving the family out there next year. Looking for anything w/n 1hr from the airport. Would like more country-farm vs city. Have kids middle-hs.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:22:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
@pathfinder74

What did you find out?

Im moving the family out there next year. Looking for anything w/n 1hr from the airport. Would like more country-farm vs city. Have kids middle-hs.
View Quote
East of the mountains. Oakley is about 50 minutes away but that will increase drastically in the winter or if you're in rush hour traffic.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:43:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Are there any older communities, ie older houses that can be added/remodelled?

The prices for the mcmansion type houses are crazy. I really don't want to buy the new build as they suck in construction.

my wife flys-I dont. So the commute would be very 3-4 days, not everyday so a 1hr commute is not bad, but It needs to be sucure (ie considerations for wx)

@ObsoleteMan

how was your visit-any insight?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 8:31:19 AM EDT
[#35]
In January I took my family (during our roadtrip from the PNW to AZ) and we stayed in the South Jordan and Sandy area. We also tried to see as much of the rest of the SLC area as we could but we were only there for three days, so there was a lot we missed. The Sandy area had a lot to like and the area seemed safe enough and livable. As it turned out there was a different opportunity that came up and we returned to AZ and are planning to stay here for the forseeable future.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:45:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
@pathfinder74

What did you find out?

View Quote
Everything's an hour from Salt Lake until the weather is bad.   Really, Utah is clean, safe, with great schools, PD/first responders, and jobs.  The predominant culture, near white-washed population, and relative inclusiveness of the people there have kept it that way. It brings it's own interesting nuances, some of which are more frustrating than others, but you can expect to move anywhere in Utah and have a safe place to raise a family.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 7:03:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Commuting from north of Salt Lake, look in to Centerville or Bountiful. Please don't do Farmington or Layton as the morons living there turn I15 in to a parking lot. Also the west side of I 15 and north of SLC: Roy, Syracuse, Farr West, Midland aren't bad areas.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 10:12:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
. Also the west side of I 15 and north of SLC: Roy, Syracuse, Farr West, Midland aren't bad areas.
View Quote
it seems like some small farms areas form google earth there- I kinda like that
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 2:17:35 AM EDT
[#39]
That farm land will all be gone in the next 10-15 years. Then you will be looking at a commute from Brigham City/Tremonton if you're coming from the north. Still doable in an hour if the retards in Kaysville/Farmington/Layton are busy huffing paint thinner.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 8:56:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Airport = Stansbuary Park or Lake Point, maybe Grantsville.  15 minutes into West Valley's shopping area, 25 to downtown.  It's close to everything and in the middle of nothing.

Bountiful area is full and expensive. Magna/West Valley suck, bad.  Davis County traffic to the air port will kill you over time.  South Jordan/West Jordan/Herriman is expensive but ok if you like shit tons of people in your crap all the time, soooooo many people in that area.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 8:59:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
That farm land will all be gone in the next 10-15 years. Then you will be looking at a commute from Brigham City/Tremonton if you're coming from the north. Still doable in an hour if the retards in Kaysville/Farmington/Layton are busy huffing paint thinner.
View Quote
LOL, when is the last time you passed Roy in traffic?  Makes the Kaysville paint huffers look like rocket scientists. The whole stretch is STUPID all the way to Ogden.

Brigham if for people that work on base or in Ogden, don't give the poor guy false hope.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:45:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Tagged for helpful information on my end.  I will be one of those working on Hill AFB...  Currently house hunting but 60-90 days out.  

I used to work with a Morman Mormon guy who was one of the nicest most pleasant folks I have ever met.  The whole LDS thing doesn’t bother me as I have never met a Mormon that wanted to kill me.  I rarely if ever drink and am not into the bar scene so no issue with the limited availability of alcohol.  Utah seems to be in line with my staunch conservative values and looks to be the perfect state for my family to spend the next 10-12 years. Maybe longer... Who knows?

Then there’s the outdoors, the mountains, the freedom...  Looking forward to the change in scenery and life.  Plus the move will be a (re)promotion with upward mobility in my organization.  The only downside is my brother and his family will remain in Georgia and that is going to kill us because we are close.  Of course I hate to leave the many good friends that I have made in the five years that I have been back in Georgia.  Everywhere I have been, I have made friends and have had to leave good people behind.  Such is the nature of my job.  Wherever my wife, son, and the dogs are can easily be home.

I am excited, slightly unsettled, anticipating, inquisitive, dreading, and who knows what else regarding the move but my gut says go for it.  My choices were Jacksonville, FL, Camp Lejeune, NC, and Hill AFB, UT.  Utah was my first choice and as of yet, I have never sat foot in the state.  Call it divine intervention but moving out west to Utah/Idaho/Montana has been on my mind for fifteen years.  Things will get real very soon when I start signing papers.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 1:15:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 2:50:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Mormon
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Snip
Mormon
I stand corrected!
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 11:47:46 AM EDT
[#45]
West Jordan, South Jordan and Herriman
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top