Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2006 11:01:32 PM EDT
Wed the 22nd I head to Van Wagenens and attempt to purchase a Glock 19 to celebrate my 21st birthday.

Well the NICS comes back as 'delayed', which sucks but not much I can do about it.

I call back once a day and the Utah POC STILL hasn't cleared my NICS check, and thanks to some Utah code the 3 day federal time limit doesn't apply.

Van Wagenens says there's nothing they/I can do short of going to their office in West Valley, which I have no time for.

This sucks, I want my G19.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:39:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Bummer!! And I sympathize!! This is what happens to me half the time I buy a firearm. BOOM, 3 day delay. The first time it happened to me, it happened at a gun show. Damn, I was so mad I could not see straight!! I own 24 firearms, you'd think after the first few they could flag the database or something, but oh no!! And it seriously happens one out of two purchases.

I don't know how it is in Utah, but here in Idaho if you have a CC permit, you get to skip the background check when purchasing a firearm. I'm taking a class next Thursday and applying for my permit right after it!!

Anyway, good luck.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:49:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh that's lame!

I was at a shop once when a local police officer got delayed.  They can call NICS back and get a status update for you. Guess that's what they are doing when you call.

Get your carry liscense, its worth every penny for the instant gratification.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:57:42 AM EDT
[#3]
had it happen to me once, i had to wait a week.
but it has not happened sence then.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:55:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:12:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Wed the 22nd I head to Van Wagenens and attempt to purchase a Glock 19 to celebrate my 21st birthday.

Well the NICS comes back as 'delayed', which sucks but not much I can do about it.

I call back once a day and the Utah POC STILL hasn't cleared my NICS check, and thanks to some Utah code the 3 day federal time limit doesn't apply.

Van Wagenens says there's nothing they/I can do short of going to their office in West Valley, which I have no time for.

This sucks, I want my G19.

Once you get approved have BCI send you out the paper work to have your your name tagged so it will not happen again. You only have about 3 weeks to do it after your approval otherwise that file is purged from the system and you will have to go through the delay again.

Most of the time you get delayed because you have a similar name and DOB of a person who is not the upmost standing citizen, so once you do this BCI knows who you are and will not have to research you.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:46:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
...They can call NICS back and get a status update for you. Guess that's what they are doing when you call...

Get your carry liscense, its worth every penny for the instant gratification.

I asked them if there was any way to call and get the status.  They said the only way is for me to physically go to the office in West Valley because "they can't identify you" over the phone.

I plan on getting my CCW, I'll be taking the class this week if there are any openings.

Also according to Van Wagenens if I have a CCW they still have to call in a NICS.  Don't know if they know what they're talking about but that's what they said.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:16:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Star, I'm teaching a CCW class on Saturday, from 1-6.  I can squeeze you in.  It will be in Draper.  Give me a call, 801-571-1160.  (not today, store is closed on Mondays).

Once you have your permit, the purchase thing gets a whole lot easier.  Plus at saving $7 a pop, you pay for your permit in no time.  :)

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:36:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:59:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks, Dan.  :)  
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:53:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Star, I'm teaching a CCW class on Saturday, from 1-6.  I can squeeze you in.  It will be in Draper.  Give me a call, 801-571-1160.  (not today, store is closed on Mondays).

Once you have your permit, the purchase thing gets a whole lot easier.  Plus at saving $7 a pop, you pay for your permit in no time.  :)

I'm actually working on saturday, otherwise I'd take you up on your offer.  Do you ever do classes during the week?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:18:22 AM EDT
[#12]
I do.  I teach all of Cabella's CCW classes.  The weeknight classes have to get broken into two nights.  I've got one tonight (Tue) and tomorrow (Wed) starting at 6:00 in Cabella's conference room.   You don't need to prepay for the Cabella's class.  Just show up.  Don't bring your gun, the manager there doesn't like that, and prefers that I get demo guns out of the counter.
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top