Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 3/6/2006 4:00:31 PM EDT
Looking at a job with my company in Boise.

Been wanting to move back out west. A couple questions to help decide.

How is the housing market, would like get into a couple acres outside of town, any realtors you would recommend? Just a 4 bedroom 2 car garage and fireplace, small shop. Is the housing market slowing down ?

How far do you have to go to shoot out in the open, just plinking and paper targets. Around here it's ranges only nearby. Would like to get into the country side and just shoot, is that possible?

What about approval for CC? We have it but no one can actually get approved.

How big is Boise compared to other cities?

Is it growing quickly with Kalifornias and libtards?

We homeschool, anybody doing that here?

Thank You

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:24:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NavajoGunOwner:
Looking at a job with my company in Boise.

Been wanting to move back out west. A couple questions to help decide.

How is the housing market, would like get into a couple acres outside of town, any realtors you would recommend? Just a 4 bedroom 2 car garage and fireplace, small shop. Is the housing market slowing down ?

Don't know about the couple of acres, but your house will cost you about 180 to 200k. Or more, depending on what you really want. The housing market has slowed a bit but the cost of housing is pretty high to those of us that have been here for awhile, even so, you'll find that Boise housing is probably pretty cheap compared to Maryland.

How far do you have to go to shoot out in the open, just plinking and paper targets. Around here it's ranges only nearby. Would like to get into the country side and just shoot, is that possible?

Lots of desert around Boise, my usual drive is about 5 to 10 miles. There are ranges to.

What about approval for CC? We have it but no one can actually get approved.

CC's are pretty easy to get. Many people have them. I'll have mine in about 2 months.

How big is Boise compared to other cities?

Boise has around 200,000 people.

Is it growing quickly with Kalifornias and libtards?

Idaho is still very conservative, but the Kalifornians and libtards are moving here in droves ('cause they've screwed up where they live, so now they want to escape, come here and do the same to us).

We homeschool, anybody doing that here?

I don't know anyone who does. Or if I do, they haven't said they do.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:35:46 PM EDT
Home schooling is alive and strong in the area. I know that Spiff knows people that homeschool, since one of the guys we are friends with was home schooled and the host of our LAN parties used to home school is kids. :-) Otherwise, what Spiff said, holds true.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:59:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/6/2006 6:03:00 PM EDT by Spiff]

Originally Posted By Ryfter:
Home schooling is alive and strong in the area. I know that Spiff knows people that homeschool, since one of the guys we are friends with was home schooled and the host of our LAN parties used to home school is kids. :-) Otherwise, what Spiff said, holds true.

I took NavajoGunOwnerS question as asking if any of *us* are home schooling our kids, or if we know of anyone that *is* home schooling their kids. For me the answer to that is...........no.

ETA: Ryfter = lame
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:09:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/6/2006 8:41:28 PM EDT by NavajoGunOwner]
Either way with the home school question...

Thanks for the response everyone.

I have never been to Boise and looking at pictures and one response......you say desert?

I come from northern AZ, is it high desert like that or what is the foliage, if any like?
Couldn't find any pictures of it.

Is the housing developemnt "locked" into the valley and moves west only? Didn't see much 'green' housing areas, I did see only 12" of rain a year.

Is housing in the mountians available, or is that rich mans land only? I would be making around 70K+ a year. So is that going to leave me stuck in the city or is their places out of town - yet able to commute into the city?
I ride a bus 1 1/2 hr ,each way so anything shorter is better!!!! I do sleep most of the time so it 's not that bad...

ETA: WOW you are in the desert I found some sites! How far to live in some tree area ?

I would be working near 'Garden City ' on the map

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:42:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/6/2006 8:47:06 PM EDT by Spiff]

Originally Posted By NavajoGunOwner:
Either way with the home school question...

Thanks for the response everyone.

I have never been to Boise and looking at pictures and one response......you say desert?

I come from northern AZ, is it high desert like that or what is the foliage, if any like?
Couldn't find any pictures of it.

Southern and parts of Central Idaho (as well as parts of OR, WA, UT, WY ant MT) are considered high mountain desert with sagebrush, rolling hills, etc.

Is the housing developemnt "locked" into the valley and moves west only? Didn't see much 'green' housing areas, I did see only 12" of rain a year.

Most of the housing is moving west with small amounts moving south (most of the good shooting is south of Boise) and north into the foothills.

Is housing in the mountians available, or is that rich mans land only? I would be making around 70K+ a year. So is that going to leave me stuck in the city or is their places out of town - yet able to commute into the city?
I ride a bus 1 1/2 hr ,each way so anything shorter is better!!!! I do sleep most of the time so it 's not that bad...

70k is upper middle class in Boise. I suppose you would consider most of the mountain (foothills actually) housing areas to be rich mans land, but there are affordable housing projects up there. The surrounding towns such as Meridian, Star and Eagle are pretty much becoming 'burgs of Boise (much to their distress!!). It will be pretty easy for you find housing in these areas (or in Boise) and I can't imagine it would take you more than 20 - 30 minutes max to get to work on an average day. It takes me ~10 minutes to get to work and thats with hitting a light or two. I live about 3 miles from work.

If your a public transportation kind of person be warned that Boises' public transportation sucks (though I guess it's getting better). 98% of everyone drives.

ETA: Garden City is smack in the middle of Boise. If by trees you mean forest, you'd have to live up in the foothills. But even then forested areas would be sparse (as you get closer to the Sawtooths the forests close in). Boise and the other areas do have trees though.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:51:08 PM EDT
I'm not really sure how far to tell you you'd have to live out to be in "trees". Not sure what you mean by that. Boise is not surrounded by forest. We live at the base of the foothills to the Sawtooth Mountains. I guess 10 to 15 miles north of us would get you into decent forested areas. But it might not be improved land with electricity/plumbing available. Then again maybe.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:18:31 AM EDT
You can head north of town, a bit and hit trees. In the city area, you have the foothills, but we really don't have forest here. Once you get into the mountains, though, you can hit forest. You have to go up twords Idaho City. I know people that commute from up in that area, daily. It is a long trip (~1 hour) but they love the environment. Some areas have full power and phone... others, just have phone.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:22:53 AM EDT
Thanks, again, for the input.

Upper class = more weapons + more shooting = back to middle class, LOL

I just started using the bus service, but am use to driving 42 miles to work usally took about 1 hr driving, with no traffic problems.

I will continue to pursue the job transfer/promotion and let you'all know if it happens.

Just looking at your hometown board it looks like you have a good active group of shooters, have fun.
Page Hometown » Utah
Top Top