BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 2/5/2006 8:50:12 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:05:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd say Yellowstone is a must see.  
About the road closures, it really depends on where you are.  I've ran into snow in July on some off road trails.  Stay on the main highways and you'll be fine.

Not sure about other have to see's in Idaho, I havent been here long enough.

What highways are you taking specifically?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:05:35 AM EDT
[#2]
You might want to swing by Twin Falls (I-84) just to check out Shoshone Falls and the Snake River Canyon. The Snake is deep there and in April the run off at Shoshone Falls should be pretty good. Shoshone is higher than Niagara (but not as long).
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:39:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I was going to post what Spiff did, and you can also go through the Hagerman valley.  If you wife is anything like mine, she likes waterfalls, and there area BUNCH of waterfalls through that valley.

The drive North of Boise, up Highway 55 to Mc Call is pretty.  You can take the Warren Wagon Road North of there, and go up to Warren.  It is an old Mining town, that is still basically a mining town.  :-)  There is some good fishing up there, too, if you are into trout fishing.  About 1/2 way between Warren and McCall, is Burgdorf hotsprings.  You have to pay to swim, but it is nice, as well.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:15:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Check Your IM's.  

Paraord16
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:17:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:21:10 AM EDT
[#6]
mid april most of the roads through jellystone will be closed. road from north to northeast entrance is open all  winter and allows you to see lamar valley and possibly government wolves, but you can't go on through from cooke city because the summit of the beartooth highway doesn't open till june.
all roads in jackson hole area will be open. you could come over from idaho over teton pass (hwy 22) and leave by togwotee pass and head on down to dubois and lander. then over to shoshoni, down the wind river canyon, over the big horns and on through tensleep to devil's tower and on to the black hills.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:27:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You might want to swing by Twin Falls (I-84) just to check out Shoshone Falls and the Snake River Canyon. The Snake is deep there and in April the run off at Shoshone Falls should be pretty good. Shoshone is higher than Niagara (but not as long).

And ask around in town, and the locals can direct you to what is left of Evil Knievel's jump, and you will see why he pulled the chute.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:39:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:40:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
And ask around in town, and the locals can direct you to what is left of Evil Knievel's jump, and you will see why he pulled the chute.

Yeah, Twin Falls is just south of the Snake River Canyon, if your crossing the Perrine Bridge (over the Snake) southbound towards Twin Falls and look to the east (your left) you can see the ramp jutting out.

I watched Knievel jump in '74 (I grew up in Twin Falls) and while allot of people say he did not make it over I call BS. It looked to me like he did make it over. But when the chute opened the wind blew him back into the canyon. Now maybe he deployed the chute to soon, but he was over the north side when he pulled the handle.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:39:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Go thru driggs and victor and see how much developers have ruined Idaho.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 11:06:20 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have to see that, didn't know the jump was still there?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:08:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Depends on how much time you have - Tons of snow in WY / ID / MT park area this winter so far. I would try for Jackson - Yellowstone area: Jackson Lake Lodge is a nice diversion as well as Teton Park visitors center = however , most likely this year, you will have to take a snowcoach to see Old Faithful in April.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:44:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Depends on how much time you have - Tons of snow in WY / ID / MT park area this winter so far. I would try for Jackson - Yellowstone area: Jackson Lake Lodge is a nice diversion as well as Teton Park visitors center = however , most likely this year, you will have to take a snowcoach to see Old Faithful in April.

Is not the entire park closed in winter except for one small area unless you take a chartered snowmachene tour??

Check out the WY vacation thread in GD.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:35:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Additional info re: 2005 - 2006 information re Yellowstone Park activities and transportation :

http://www.nps.gov/yell/planvisit/orientation/travel/roadopen.htm

Jackson Hole info:

http://www.jacksonholenet.com/

Hope you have a nice trip.

Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top