Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Posted: 2/5/2006 10:19:42 AM EDT
I need to replace my old workbench that I had to sell back in Phoenix.  I don't need anything too large,  roughly 48" wide, 30" deep and 42" high.  Needs to be heavy so I can mount my vise and do barreling projects on it without pulling the damn thing over.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:18:28 PM EDT
[#1]
A couple years ago, Home Depot had some "Bench Kits" about that size.
I have two of them, if you re-enforce them, they're ok.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:28:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
A couple years ago, Home Depot had some "Bench Kits" about that size.
I have two of them, if you re-enforce them, they're ok.

I'd just build one but I have zip for wood working tools.  Got tons of mechanics stuff but that doesn't do me any good.  Guess I should invest in a power saw and just build it.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:20:01 AM EDT
[#3]
AZ, if you did not want to go the build route you could try this for something temporary or try this for something more permanent. The last one will surely be strong enough and the first one probably will be to, as sizing operations on larger brass can induce pretty good force to a surface and it's made to handle that.

I know Home Depot sells those plastic snap together work benches. They seem pretty stout.

Heck just place your vise on your computer desk, take a couple of thin pieces of plywood, one under the vise and one underneath your desk and clamp the damn vise to your computer desk!! It'll work, don't ask me how I know (I've put all my AR's together sitting at my 'puter desk, cept for the barreling).
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:16:55 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
AZ, if you did not want to go the build route you could try this for something temporary or try this for something more permanent. The last one will surely be strong enough and the first one probably will be to, as sizing operations on larger brass can induce pretty good force to a surface and it's made to handle that.

I know Home Depot sells those plastic snap together work benches. They seem pretty stout.

Heck just place your vise on your computer desk, take a couple of thin pieces of plywood, one under the vise and one underneath your desk and clamp the damn vise to your computer desk!! It'll work, don't ask me how I know (I've put all my AR's together sitting at my 'puter desk, cept for the barreling).

Thanks Spiff, but I need something that I can pound on as well.  For those times when you need to pound out the FSB pins and such.  That second link looks good but at that price I could build one heck of a bench.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:54:04 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks Spiff, but I need something that I can pound on as well.  For those times when you need to pound out the FSB pins and such.  That second link looks good but at that price I could build one heck of a bench.

That FSB/gas tube roll pin *should* just drive right out with minimal force. Unless it's in a JP adjustable gas block. If thats the case you'd need about a 5 ton press to push it in and out. Though I'm pretty sure that was because either the barrel or gas block (or both) was drilled out of alignment. Talking about Ryfters rifle here, and both of those parts on his rifle were expensive enough that no way should that have happened!!

Now if your taking about the actual FSB mounting pins. I have no idea how tight they really are. The FSB and the barrel extension are the *only* two parts of an AR that I haven't had apart. I do know the FSB pins are directional in the way they install and remove.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:22:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I ran across these the other day at 'Home Cheapo' and got a few for our warehoue. They are pretty stout, and not a bad deal. Check them out: BENCH

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:39:07 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I ran across these the other day at 'Home Cheapo' and got a few for our warehoue. They are pretty stout, and not a bad deal. Check them out: BENCH

Not sure what that link went to HomerSimpson, I got a page full of all kinds of stuff.  Thanks anyway.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:40:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Now if your taking about the actual FSB mounting pins. I have no idea how tight they really are. The FSB and the barrel extension are the *only* two parts of an AR that I haven't had apart. I do know the FSB pins are directional in the way they install and remove.

Yes the actually pins that hold the FSB onto the barrel,  On Colt's and Bushmasters they are uni direction, on Model One and others they sometimes just use roll pins and can go either way.  The pins are in there tight and take a good deal of effort to drive out and back in.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:37:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Sportsmans Warehouse has a nice reloading bench.  It seems pretty stout and probably what you're looking for.  It's not cheap though: $319 or $359 assembled.  

Here's a pic.

Sportsmans Warehouse is $20 cheaper than Cabelas and you can get it today.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:49:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Sportsmans Warehouse has a nice reloading bench.  It seems pretty stout and probably what you're looking for.  It's not cheap though: $319 or $359 assembled.  

Here's a pic.

Sportsmans Warehouse is $20 cheaper than Cabelas and you can get it today.  

Thanks jsandfort.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:34:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Sorry, I don't know what's going on with the link. The bench is steel with two large drawers, casters, and a wood top (48"x18"). The casters may not be to good for a reloading bench, but it's on sale for $97.

Go to HomeDepot.com and search on the SKU# 552285

Here is a photo:

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:07:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I built this using a hand saw and a cordless drill.  I had the countertop so it was just the cost of the 2x4's.   I've only got about $40 into the entire bench.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/Glockman429/IM000428.jpg
as far as making it stable to work on, can you screw it to the wall where you're gonna put it?  if you wanted a little more weight you could always use 4x4s instead of the 2x4s for the legs.

just a thought.

SM
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:19:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I built this using a hand saw and a cordless drill.  I had the countertop so it was just the cost of the 2x4's.   I've only got about $40 into the entire bench.
i2.photobucket.com/albums/y46/Glockman429/IM000428.jpg
as far as making it stable to work on, can you screw it to the wall where you're gonna put it?  if you wanted a little more weight you could always use 4x4s instead of the 2x4s for the legs.

just a thought.

SM

Thanks shortmag, I saw that picture in another thread but couldn't remember where?  That's exactly what I'm looking for.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:27:29 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Thanks shortmag, I saw that picture in another thread but couldn't remember where?  That's exactly what I'm looking for.

well then here's where i got the plans.

http://www.bghi.us/index.php?x=bench

I made a few changes for my setup like moving the front of the bottom shelf back a few inches so i don't bang my shinns while sitting at the bench.  then i also ran a 2x4 along the top between the back legs to support the shelf i put up there.  the nice thing about this bench is you can make it whatever size you need and it's still fairly cheap to build.

Hope this helps.

SM
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:04:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

well then here's where i got the plans.

http://www.bghi.us/index.php?x=bench

I made a few changes for my setup like moving the front of the bottom shelf back a few inches so i don't bang my shinns while sitting at the bench.  then i also ran a 2x4 along the top between the back legs to support the shelf i put up there.  the nice thing about this bench is you can make it whatever size you need and it's still fairly cheap to build.

Hope this helps.

SM

Thanks for posting the link to the plans.  

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:12:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Happy to help.
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top