Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/27/2006 2:53:58 PM EDT
I guess I don't like winter enough, because I'm starting to get a little cabin-feverish, and want to have something to look forward to in the next month or so. I wanted to start this to see if we can get some ideas for when and where we can meet up and have another area shoot. I'm voting for a Saturday in late Feb or early March. If everyone can check their schedules, and we can find a day and time that works best for as many people as possible. If you don't mind, I'd also like a short listing of some of your toys you may bring if we get a shoot together. I'm specifically looking into buying a CETME/HK type .308, but I would really like to shoot one before sinking that kind of money into one. So if someone has one, I'd be grateful if it could come and I could have a chance to do a little test firing, for which I would gladly supply my own ammo or compensate owner for its cost. Since I've asked it of you, I'll say what I'll have available to me:

AKs:
Maadi RML in an RPK disguise
Maadi MISR standard AK (as long as I can get the buttstock to lock up tightly again)
Polytech Pre-ban Double Underfolder (This one may be up for sale or trade)--I'm happy to bring it out, but since I'm looking to sell it, I don't want to put a lot of rounds through it, as this will diminish its value.

Inch Pattern FAL, reliable even though it's a Century.
SMLE No4 Mk 1--Nothing fancy about it.
Rem 870--I haven't even changed stocks on it yet, and it has less than a box of shells through it. Man, I need to work on it some more; it may start feeling envious of the other toys.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:46:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:58:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Fair enough Dan. I'm not trying to get firm "commitments" just yet, but some ideas about several possible dates/locations. I kind of like the Lehi side of Utah lake; if we get there early enough and in enough force, we can get a good spot.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:57:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I would be interested in a shoot, haven't had the time to attend one yet, but I will try if it gets put together.

I don't have a CETME/HK, but I do have a Springfield M1A that I would bring out along with an AR or two or three.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:35:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a G3 that runs good, despite being a Century. Im a few hours away but would like to come if the schedule permits.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:39:53 PM EDT
[#5]
By the end of March we will have 2 PKM's, 2 MG3's, and a pair of 50cal DShK's ready. Plus all the normal stuff.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:11:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:08:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Okay, new plan. I vote we definitely wait for the end of March, because I will probably be moving this year to a state that isn't Class III friendly, and I need to play with some toys like that. Note to self: start saving money now!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:27:49 AM EDT
[#8]
A get together like that sounds fun as hell!have I am planning on getting an SBR once I get back stateside.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:07:08 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got a CETME that I just evilized and I've only shot it once.  Van Wagonen in Orem has a few wood CETME's still in stock, but one of them has too much bolt gap, I got mine from there for $319, they are now $389 IIRC.  I'm in Provo and here is what I have to shoot:

Shotguns: converted Saiga 12 w/ 8 round mags

AKs: VEPR K 7.62x39, Kreb's KTR-03S 7.62x39, converted Saiga AK-104 clone 7.62x39

.308s: CETME with no ban features, DPMS AP4 .308, Imbel FAL carbine 16" barrel

9mm pistols: CZ SP-01 9mm, Kahr PM9

10mm pistols: Glock 29, Para-Ordnance P16 converted to 10mm (17 rounds of 10mm!!!), Tanfoglio longslide 10mm Match

7.62x25 pistols: Polish Tokarev TT-33, CZ-52
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:12:09 PM EDT
[#10]
What is this "winter" you speak of?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:14:32 PM EDT
[#11]
i might be down if thats cool, i got a few toys to bring along.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:05:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm down. I've got a couple ARs, nothing special though, and an M1A, a couple USPs and a 1911.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:03:05 AM EDT
[#13]
I forgot to add that I work in sales for Action Target, Inc. in Provo and I can bring a bunch of steel targets to shoot both rifle and pistol.  The pistol dueling tree would be the most fun and we could have a competition or tournament to see who wins out of the whole group.  You can check out our website if you want to see what Steel targets we have. Actiontarget.com
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:42:01 PM EDT
[#14]
It would be cool if you got a group together to take over the Lee Kay center some Saturday morning. I would want to show up for that. Henry,
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:19:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Lee Kay won't allow the guns some of these guys will want to shoot.

I'm all for safety, but I think Lee Kay kinda overdoes it on the rules.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:21:37 PM EDT
[#16]
BTW, I picked up a trapdoor target from Douglas Precision at the last gun show that I'm itching to ping.

I'm game for pretty much any weekend, but I think our chances of some comfortable temps are better if we wait till the end of March.
Although there can be unexpected warm spells in the middle of winter & miserable cold into April.

And I vote for the west side of Utah Lake.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:25:14 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I'm not going to try again in my car.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:15:07 AM EDT
[#18]
I have two AR's and a Cetme.  I think that I might be interested.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:22:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm not going to try again in my car.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:31:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:39:14 PM EDT
[#21]
If we can do it on a Sunday, count me in. I will bring a couple of people and we would have a full arsenal of full auto HK's including but not limited to, MP5 (I believe at least 1 will have a supressor), Belt and Magazine fed .308's M-16's, with 7.62*39 conversions and also a supressed .22lr conversion for the M16. Walther P22 with supressor, HK usp tact with Supressor.  Krinkov rifles, Maybe a semi auto Barrett .50, and maybe the new 6.8. Maybe we could do it on Sunday April 2nd, does that work for anyone else?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:59:14 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Lee Kay won't allow the guns some of these guys will want to shoot.

I'm all for safety, but I think Lee Kay kinda overdoes it on the rules.

I forgot some people get to shoot assault rifles that aren't neutered. OHH LIFE IS NOT FAIR!!!!!!! hin
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:11:45 PM EDT
[#23]
i might be good for April second.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:18:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Okay, it's been pretty quiet in the thread, so I thought I'd bump it back up and suggest a day. I personally need to stick with a Saturday. If it works out that the majority could do it on a Sunday, I just lose out and that's fine. So, what about  Sat the 25th of March (provided our friends with the DSHK, etc have them by then), Sat the 1st of April, or the next weekend, the 8th? Everyone check your calendars and maybe we can rank them (ie 1st-25th, etc.).
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:11:34 PM EDT
[#25]
I would also prefer a staturday. And also, for what it's worth I don't know if we need to wait till april, I went this week at the place and it was beautiful. The closer to summer we get, the more crowded it gets, the more we'll have to share the range with scout troops and .22s, and the more ricochets we'll hear whizzing past our ears.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:30:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Main purpose in waiting is to get access to the really fun toys. If we could get a good group together earlier, and then go again, that would be fine. I didn't mention it, but I also think that if we get something together, we should all bring cash, as well as any items we may want to sell/trade. For example, I picked up G3 mags when they were way cheap. If I get a chance to shoot a CETME or G3 clone and find I don't like it, there's not much reason to hang onto the mags, and those who have them and like them could always use more cheap mags, right? That's my thought and reasoning, so anyone else have a day preference?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:18:16 PM EDT
[#27]
If we can make it work on a Sunday I am in with atleast 2 more people, and a M-60. as well as the other guns I have listed.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:49:33 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
If we can make it work on a Sunday I am in with atleast 2 more people, and a M-60. as well as the other guns I have listed.

Oooohh...
Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!

Seriously, I'm down w/ either a Saturday or Sunday.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:20:57 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm fine with either day, although I'd prefer Saturday.  I could even do a Saturday this month, and a Sunday a couple of weeks later.

I've only got a home built AR to offer.   It's a 16" with LAR lower and LMT upper.

Oh yeah! I'd love to hear/shoot another AR with a suppressor if anyone can bring one.  I'm planning on buying one in a couple months, so I'm starting the search now.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:07:00 AM EDT
[#30]
I can only make it on a Saturday just as some others have said.  But we could do 2 or 3 different smaller shoots if we need to.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:30:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Lets throw some specific days out! I was at the spot on Thursday afternoon and I'm telling you, the weather doesn't get any more beautiful.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:47:10 PM EDT
[#32]
The 25th or 26th of this month would work great for me.

I agree, thursday was just about perfect. It was so nice I went out myself.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:32:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Hey hey! Nice AR and pack... where were you at?

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:26:35 PM EDT
[#34]
I love shooting up by the lake! We used to have big shoots there a few times a year before I deployed. We hope to do them again with the store sponsoring the shoot this year.

Because of the store we can do a Sunday shoot, or close the store for a Saturday.....

BTW, you UT guys need to come by the store and see the range plans. We met with the bank last week for the preliminary get to know you talk last week. They were REALLY excitted about it and it looks like this time next year we will be into our 50M, 25 bay rifle rated range here in Draper. Then we can shoot rain or shine!
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Hey hey! Nice AR and pack... where were you at?

i4.photobucket.com/albums/y103/steve--oh/DSCN0987.jpg

On the west side of Lake Mountain. I spend alot of my free time on Lake Mountain hiking from my place to Soldiers Pass so I know a few good places to do a little shooting.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:13:43 AM EDT
[#36]
As I am watching it snow right now I also agree winter has been too long. dar - I have a PTR for you to try. I would suggest consideration of the PMAA range up Parley's. They have a new Rangemaster - BOB - and he and his wife are doing a great job getting it back into shape. They are very user friendly and willing to help shooters. I would be glad to see if he would be willing to close range to public on a Sat or Sun to accomodate the group - shooting fee is only $5 - I think I can find a sponser to cover all or at least part of the fee. They have shooting stations, bathrooms, a shooter friendly safe enviroment to shoot in and with the price of gas and UT spring mud/rain/ snow potential it warrants consideration. There are metal bases there to use for very close CQB practice and with a 4 foot 1" x 2" piece of wood could be used for shotguns as well as pistol as we would not want to shoot up PMAA backstops with shotguns. Let me Know.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:50:38 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm good for most weekends. 25th or 26th should work well for me. It's starting to warm up enough to not be miserable after 5 minutes. I'm usually at PMAA during the winter since it is close to my place. When it is warmer out by Grantsville or down near the lake are my usual spots.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:35:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Okay, this has been bouncing around, and no one has of yet offered a solid idea. I would like to propose the 25th of March as a day for an ARFcom shoot. I think out by Utah lake is one of the best possible areas, since it is designated for shooting, and if we get there early enough, we should be able to stake a pretty nice piece of territory. Is this too close for everyone to check schedules, or is it doable? The alternative for me would be Sat. the 8th of April. I would personally love to have as many Class III toys available, but I can't do it on Sundays. So, let's see if we could possibly coordinate one in late Mar/early April for a Saturday, and maybe one late April/early May for a Sunday shoot. So, of the two choices, which is better--25 March or 8 April? Let's get something going.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:49:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Utah Lake sounds like a good venue.

April 8 would work better for me.  I don't have any Class III, but I do have some Tannerite.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:57:23 PM EDT
[#40]
March 25th works for me. I propose that we meet at Smiths at around 8:00 A.M. so we can get  a choice spot next to the lake. I can bring a few target stands along as well as some large white poster type paper.

The 8th of April also works for me if that would be better for others.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:07:33 PM EDT
[#41]
April 8th might work for me, march 25th would be good tell 1pm and after about 3pm
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:21:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Where is it going to be??
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:10:43 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm down for the 25th at the lake. However, I went today and boy! It was titty cold!

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:33:52 PM EDT
[#44]
haha i went today too, i had to try out my new AK build and give the AR some love.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:35:07 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
March 25th works for me. I propose that we meet at Smiths at around 8:00 A.M. so we can get  a choice spot next to the lake. I can bring a few target stands along as well as some large white poster type paper.

The 8th of April also works for me if that would be better for others.

I would be down for the 25th of March, and meeting up at that time and place. So, do we vote yes on the 25th, or do we wait until the 8th? My only concern is how it's snowing today,  and I have no idea what the weather will be like next weekend. So, let's get some finalized input. Last group shoot we tried to organize there were a grand total of 3 people. It was fun, but something was missing.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:06:22 PM EDT
[#46]
I may not be able to do the 25th, I'm on call that week.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:43:10 PM EDT
[#47]
I recently moved to Utah (Bountiful) and have been looking for places to shoot. Where is this place west of the lake and how do you get there? Also, can anyone recommend a gun store that has a good selection of military or C&R type firearms. Nearly everything I own is military.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:52:22 PM EDT
[#48]
This Saturday March 25th is supposed to be a NICE weather day!!! Count me in! (that's if anyone else will be there?!)
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 12:54:07 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I recently moved to Utah (Bountiful) and have been looking for places to shoot. Where is this place west of the lake and how do you get there? Also, can anyone recommend a gun store that has a good selection of military or C&R type firearms. Nearly everything I own is military.

Thanks

I live in Kaysville and if you'd like you can ride with me OR follow me to the lake. LMK  Also if you're in Bountiful you can either go to www.Impactguns.com up on Ogden or down to Gallenson's in Down town SLC, then there's Dougs in SLC. It all depends on what military stuff you're looking for. Oh and WELCOME!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:03:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top