Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2017 11:30:34 PM EDT
In a few weeks I'll be rolling through Bend. I want to go out and shoot a 50BMG and an AR-15 somewhere nearby. I saw the 100m range at the Redmond Rod & Gun range a while back; it's a nice range but rather short for a .50 cal. (Fun shotguns, though!)

Is there anyplace plausible to shoot the .50 in the public land desert, or an established range that could handle them?
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 12:01:03 AM EDT
[#1]
COSSA
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 11:27:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
COSSA
View Quote
Empty desert somewhere is impractical? I'm not familiar with the area.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 6:51:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Pop this location in to google maps or google earth.      Its a butte off of China Hat road.         Very easy to get to and just out of town.

43.951880, -121.220106

This is another butte off of China Hat road but the dirt road turn off is easy to miss.    

43.953580, -121.240229

Both of these are just of 97 on the south side of Bend before lava butte.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 12:32:22 PM EDT
[#4]
The COSSA club looks like membership is required. If you're a member, can you just show up and shoot, or do you need to plan something?
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 11:55:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 11:06:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Lots of wide open spaces.
View Quote
I haven't been there much, so I don't know where to look.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 1:21:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Which way are you rolling through?

If you're on Hwy 20 east of Bend, there are lots of places where you can set up on Pine Mountain and shoot down to the flat so the sage doesn't get in your way.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 11:19:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'll be staying a few days. I'm curious about a good area for an unusual weapon (50 cal!). The person there isn't a shooter, and I'm from out of state. (Everyone you know wants to shoot a 50 after seeing the movies, even if they don't shoot.)

I'm still trying to figure out the mechanics of either the open areas or that of the club out east.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 7:38:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Pop this location in to google maps or google earth.      Its a butte off of China Hat road.         Very easy to get to and just out of town.

43.951880, -121.220106

Both of these are just of 97 on the south side of Bend before lava butte.
View Quote
This is where we used to shoot.  Make sure and get there before the quads take it over for the day.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 9:00:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'll be staying a few days. I'm curious about a good area for an unusual weapon (50 cal!). The person there isn't a shooter, and I'm from out of state. (Everyone you know wants to shoot a 50 after seeing the movies, even if they don't shoot.)

I'm still trying to figure out the mechanics of either the open areas or that of the club out east.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just saw this. I am a Cossa Member, happy to take you there if I can shoot it just once! I'll even cover the guest fee.

When are you coming through?

@mcgredo
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 9:29:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
When are you coming through?
View Quote
Well, rats. I came through last weekend, not sure when I'm getting through there again. I tried to join COSSO but no joy at them responding. There were several contests scheduled that weekend so maybe it was too busy for them to handle the request. Thanks for the offer, though--I've never been out there.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 10:36:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Bummer - if you get through again, give me a shout. COSSA is a great facility, and I've hosted a couple of ARF people there in the past couple of years. Happy to do it!
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 10:20:52 PM EDT
[#13]
If you ever get back in that area ( actually south of Bend ) in a small town(s) Gilchrist / Crescent on 97 . Just north of there about a mile on the right on the east side of the Hwy is a range.  Stop in at the gas station in Crescent or talk to just about anyone around there and they can give you good directions. It would work for what you need.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top