Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/3/2006 10:28:05 PM EDT
OK, so I finally managed to save up the spare cash to hit this AR15 stuff. Reloading dies are here. Brass, powder and bullets, and there's about $2K ready to roll on rifle, and ancilliary components. I figured a RRA Elite CARA4 1:8 with a Daniel Defense Rail, Dominator mount + Eotech and I'm good to go. So I trundle off to Oregon City for the first time and am essentially told:

"You can buy Bushmaster, or Bushmaster."

That threw me for a curveball.

This is not play money, so when someone "in the know" dismisses RRA/Armalite/Oly, I'm torn whether to listen or not.

Damn, damn, damn. So many choices, and so much confusion.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:36:19 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:46:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/3/2006 10:50:56 PM EDT by Q-Man]
Bushmaster is a fine rifle, but not the only fine rifle. I've had an RRA since about 2001 and have put about 5000+ rounds through it with only about 3 or so minor jams. RRA makes great rifles. I have a Bushmaster too, and it's a great rifle.

A lot of dealers only sell a particular brand. Perhaps they have contracts with that brand to sell only that brand. If you want something else, go somewhere else. RRA will no doubt have better prices than Bushmaster. You could consider buying on-line and transferring it through an FFL dealer.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:11:03 AM EDT
Sounds like you talked to an idiot.....probally the same idiot who told me AR-15's were crap and should be replaced with M1A's.....

Yet, he sells all ar-15 parts................

Bushmaster is a safe bet, better then RRA deffently. Armalite is very nice aswell. Oly is for those on a budget. CMT isn't bad, LMT is top of the top, and COLT is the best. Stay away from Stag/Mega lowers. I'd recomend Bushy too, but wouldn't discount the others.

Oh course this is all my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:12:00 AM EDT
You could try Phoenix Armory -- I think he still carries stripped lowers -- and just order the other parts and put your rifle together. On the other hand, you could just get that rifle because, deep down, you know that won't be your only AR15... Of course, the onus is on you to get what you really want and not just buy what the dealer is selling.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:12:44 AM EDT
If building run from mega. I have both RRA and Bushmaster and am very happy with both.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:49:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/4/2006 9:49:28 AM EDT by NoAim]
I have a very accurate Oly/Mega combo, a Bushy/Bushy M4, a LMT/Mega SBR, and am going to have a Oly/CavArms .45, and a Bushy/Bushy (franken) midlength.

No problems with any of the three I have so far.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:48:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By zougou:
You could try Phoenix Armory.

That's where I went.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:03:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By seven-six-two:

That's where I went.

LOL Shane told you to buy Bushy!.. well i can see.. Usually Bushy's don't have problems ( not saying others do all the time) but it's the TOYOTA of AR's.. They are everywhere and run for a long time. That's my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:11:44 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:19:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By petagunner:
Nothing wrong with owning a bushmaster, you'll at least be the master of one bush

My Rifle's name is George W. BUSHMASTER!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:45:51 AM EDT

but it's the TOYOTA of AR's..

I'll agree to that.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:00:28 PM EDT

Except for the bolt and the guy who installs the bolt carrier keys.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:05:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TangoFoxtrot:

Except for the bolt and the guy who installs the bolt carrier keys.

FYI!... The bolt and Carrier in my Bushy is not even a Bushy.. It's a FRANKEN BUSHY!.. so i do not blame the folks in Windham ME.. they are nice people.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:24:26 PM EDT

That's where I went.

Huh, that's weird. I guess it was a year ago that I was in his store last so apparently things have changed. If you could find a place that would order a lower, you could build up your first AR. Or you could just buy a pre-assembled lower and then just mail order the upper.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:44:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By WS4LIF:
Sounds like you talked to an idiot.....probally the same idiot who told me AR-15's were crap and should be replaced with M1A's.....

Bushmaster is a safe bet, better then RRA deffently. Armalite is very nice aswell. Oly is for those on a budget. CMT isn't bad, LMT is top of the top, and COLT is the best. Stay away from Stag/Mega lowers. I'd recomend Bushy too, but wouldn't discount the others.

Don't let those guy's in the WA. forum see you bad mouth Mega. They think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:05:39 PM EDT
Make sure you get a 1/7 twist barrel to allow you to shoot pretty much any ammo available.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:34:27 PM EDT

OK, so I finally managed to save up the spare cash to hit this AR15 stuff. Reloading dies are here. Brass, powder and bullets, and there's about $2K ready to roll on rifle, and ancilliary components. I figured a RRA Elite CARA4 1:8 with a Daniel Defense Rail, Dominator mount + Eotech and I'm good to go. So I trundle off to Oregon City for the first time and am essentially told:

"You can buy Bushmaster, or Bushmaster."

That threw me for a curveball.

This is not play money, so when someone "in the know" dismisses RRA/Armalite/Oly, I'm torn whether to listen or not.

Damn, damn, damn. So many choices, and so much confusion.

What shop was this? Phoenix Armory?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:36:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/4/2006 11:39:07 PM EDT by kythri]

Originally Posted By WS4LIF:

Bushmaster is a safe bet, better then RRA deffently.

Dude, how is Bushmaster better than RRA?

You are aware that Bushmaster, Stag, CMT, RRA, they're all pretty much the same quality, built by CMT, right?

Armalite is very nice aswell. Oly is for those on a budget. CMT isn't bad, LMT is top of the top, and COLT is the best. Stay away from Stag/Mega lowers. I'd recomend Bushy too, but wouldn't discount the others.

Armalite and LMT are both owned by Karl Lewis. Wouldn't be surprised if the stuff is made in the same forge/foundry.

Colt is just as good as Bushy, RRA, or Armalite - worse, when you consider their anti-civvy leanings...
Top Top