Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2006 11:31:08 AM EDT
Help me tune up my 10/22. This is my first one and I'd like to get a lightweight barrel and have it threaded. And maybe a folding stock. Of course I'll need some mags as well.

So, would you all post links to the stuff that works for you and tell me how you like it.

Pics of your 10/22's are encourged as well.

Thanks for help.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:45:41 AM EDT
[#1]
DIY 2.something pound trigger, radiused trigger return, auto bolt release.   Nothing bling bling yet.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not the most mechanically inclined so i sent my trigger group off to a guy that was on rimfirecentral.  for like $70 got a very nice, no creep trigger ~2lbs, auto bolt release.  Weaponcraft buffer is great as well.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:50:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you sure you want a light weight barrel? The stock light carbine barrels are the lightest unless you go Carbon Fiber in which you really can't thread. However, I don't think there's enough meat on the carbine barrels to thread. It's my opinion that a 16" bull barrel ballences perfectly. I'm picking mine up from TROS tomorrow.  I'm doing research for my scope now.

Do you want to go fancy wood or black polymer stock? There is a guy from the coast that will probably be at the show this weekend. I know someone who posted in here before has delt with him.

Anarx has been working on doing tuned triggers for them. There are a few aftermarket setups for tuned triggers and bolt work available. I am going to be doing a bit of bolt work on mine this weekend.

I highly recomend you do a bit of research on www.rimfirecentral.com.

I also highly recommend a bolt buffer, especially is your using it with a can. It will greatly reduce the bolt bounce noise.

I'm sure others will chime in.

Nox

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:07:46 PM EDT
[#4]
The other place to get a lightweight threaded barrel is Tactical Solutions. But they're spendy. I picked up a poly stock and heavy barrel combo at Midway USA for $80 total. I then had Mark @ TROS thread it.

Mags, I use stock Ruger 10 rounders.

I picked up a Skeeter Lemon-aid adjustable trigger and sear pack from Hawktech Arms.

Pet peave...I hate folding stocks on 10/22s!

So far I think I've got (neglecting optics):
- Ruger 10/22 Carbine = $170
- Stock = $45
- Barrel = $40
- Threading = $75
- Trigger + Sear = $65
- Poly Buffer = $6
- Extended mag release = $15 (which needs some tweaking)

Total = $415

Of course you can get $200 target triggers, get bolt face work done, etc. etc.

I think you've heard mine suppressed. It is very quiet. The only two rifle noises you hear are the hammer hitting and the bolt slamming forward. Just plinking, I'm holding about 0.75" at 50 yards (to me, the usable range).
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:51:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Anarax does trigger jobs.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:02:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Anarax does trigger jobs.

Yes he does.. I felt the trigger on his 10/22 and it was smooth and a nice crisp release, plus the overtravel stop was very nice. He whores them for cheap.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:17:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm thinking about having him do mine for me.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:19:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm thinking about having him do me for mine.

Fixed your post...
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:35:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fixed your post...

Nice burn!!

Mark.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:46:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I should have some threaded barrels soon, and i may be getting rind of one of my folding stocks.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:55:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got da blingage on mine.  I had it at the last shoot.

Let's do a tally, shall we?

Ruger 10/22  $130 (going out of business sale in SC)
Hogue OM stock  $80
Power Custom Grandmaster kit  $200 (Ti Trigger, TI sear, Ti mag release, Ti disconnector, Ti bolt handle, extra power springs)
Power Custom Ti firing pin  $30
Power Custom Ti Extractor $10
Power Custom Ti Auto bolt release $10
Power Custom Weaver Rail  $15
Buffer Tech bolt buffer  $10
Magnum Research MagnumLite compensated barrel  $280 (Not made anymore. Keith's has one)

Total:  $765

I still need to get a new scope for it...  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:55:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fixed your post...

I'm hurt!

You know I'd never double time you. Although, things just haven't been the same since you got rid of the neon green knee pads.

Now ther's a sig line for ya!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:31:40 PM EDT
[#13]
well i guess i'll offer up one of my trigger jobs.. i will sit down with you if you want and work it untel your happy with it, do an auto bolt release, overtravel set screw, and if i can get it working more reliably a torsen bar trigger return

i am allways working on new ideas and such.. i am goina start working on one here in a few minutes i started stoning a sear i have to see if i can safely lighten the pull a bit more and reduce some more of the felt creep..

Jess
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:11:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
well i guess i'll offer up one of my trigger jobs.. i will sit down with you if you want and work it untel your happy with it, do an auto bolt release, overtravel set screw, and if i can get it working more reliably a torsen bar trigger return

i am allways working on new ideas and such.. i am goina start working on one here in a few minutes i started stoning a sear i have to see if i can safely lighten the pull a bit more and reduce some more of the felt creep..

Jess

Cool that very nice of ya maybe after on the PR matches or something. I'll IM ya and we can Iron out the details.

Thanks for all the great input guy I think I'll have to try out some your guys 10/22 to see what I like. I really don't want to turn this into a `$500 rifle though.

I do know one thing my mag release works better than NoAim's.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:50:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Get the replacement polymer recoil buffer pin as well. Cheap part, big difference.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:35:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Hogue OM stock  $80
Power Custom Grandmaster kit  $200 (Ti Trigger, TI sear, Ti mag release, Ti disconnector, Ti bolt handle, extra power springs)
Magnum Research MagnumLite compensated barrel  $280 (Not made anymore. Keith's has one)

All that and it still jams on Butler Creek MAgs... sheesh.. not to mention no full auto.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:11:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Hogue OM stock  $80

Ruger 10/22 $75
BC extended mag release - $2.00
One BC 25 round mag -$15.00
Two BC 10 rounders - Free
3-7X Tasco Scope - Free
Trigger work 2# - Free
Auto bolt release - Free
Bolt surface polishing - Free
Random polishing for bling - Free

Total:  $92
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:45:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hogue OM stock  $80

Ruger 10/22 $75
BC extended mag release - $2.00
One BC 25 round mag -$15.00
Two BC 10 rounders - Free
3-7X Tasco Scope - Free
Trigger work 2# - Free
Auto bolt release - Free
Bolt surface polishing - Free
Random polishing for bling - Free

Total:  $87

Edit: LOL 87!

See I was right to offer you $85 for it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:47:43 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Anarax gives hand jobs.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:53:57 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Anarax gives hand jobs.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:23:17 PM EDT
[#21]
30 dollar make ya hollar??
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:32:04 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
30 dollar make ya hollar??

"That boy aint right!"

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:50:10 PM EDT
[#23]
What is with the 87?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:54:35 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
What is with the 87?

What?  You don't know?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:16:18 AM EDT
[#25]
I know of someone local who has a Norrell Pack for sale. I'd buy it but I have to get my house painted.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:57:07 AM EDT
[#26]
I'd probably have to sell my house.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:44:00 AM EDT
[#27]
I'd probably have to sell my body.

hollar at j00 boieeee
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:53:52 AM EDT
[#28]
I bought a new factory barrel that had been cut to 16 1/2" and threaded 1/2x28 from High Desert Dog (on eBay) for $70.  It works great.

$70 Butler Creek Folding Stock
$18 Tasco "El Cheapo" 4X Scope
$ 6 WeaponKraft Bolt Buffer
$ 6 Bell & Carlson extended mag release (buy it at WeaponKraft)
$56 Tactical Innovations mag
$30 Volquartsen Target Hammer
$... Tactical Innovations TAC-67 all stainless Suppressor

The Tactical Innovations mag is absolutely superb!

You don't have to spend $10 on the Auto Bolt Release.  Five minutes with a Dremel, and you can easily modify your original.  If you screw it up, then spend $10 for the Volquartsen.

The scope is junk, but I was not sure whether I wanted a scope or a red dot, so for $18 I picked up the Tasco.

Is it a "tack driver"?  Nah, but it's okay.
Very very quiet, and a lot of fun!

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:59:27 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I bought a new factory barrel that had been cut to 16 1/2" and threaded 1/2x28 from High Desert Dog (on eBay) for $70.  It works great.

$70 Butler Creek Folding Stock
$18 Tasco "El Cheapo" 4X Scope
$ 6 WeaponKraft Bolt Buffer
$ 6 Bell & Carlson extended mag release (buy it at WeaponKraft)
$56 Tactical Innovations mag
$30 Volquartsen Target Hammer
$... Tactical Innovations TAC-67 all stainless Suppressor

The Tactical Innovations mag is absolutely superb!

You don't have to spend $10 on the Auto Bolt Release.  Five minutes with a Dremel, and you can easily modify your original.  If you screw it up, then spend $10 for the Volquartsen.

The scope is junk, but I was not sure whether I wanted a scope or a red dot, so for $18 I picked up the Tasco.

Is it a "tack driver"?  Nah, but it's okay.
Very very quiet, and a lot of fun!

i40.photobucket.com/albums/e231/OregonForester/10-22.jpg

Nice.

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:16:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Dumb question - I'm seeing the ungodly amount of money some of you have spent on an unsuppressed 10/22 - does everything you've done make it shoot better?

I bought a 10/22 at Bi-Mart, blued with a black plastic stock, and some little cheapie Simmons scope deal that they had.  Bone stock gun, and it's dead-on accurate.

I'm just curious what you get out of your investment, since I can't see much room for improvement with mine...

Now, integrally suppressing that bad boy, I can definitely understand the draw to that, but the rest of the stuff, I don't get.

Enlighten me!  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:05:04 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I'm just curious what you get out of your investment, since I can't see much room for improvement with mine...

You know that saying about a fool and his money?

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:12:50 PM EDT
[#32]
pimping out guns is FUN!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:14:12 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Dumb question - I'm seeing the ungodly amount of money some of you have spent on an unsuppressed 10/22 - does everything you've done make it shoot better?

I bought a 10/22 at Bi-Mart, blued with a black plastic stock, and some little cheapie Simmons scope deal that they had.  Bone stock gun, and it's dead-on accurate.

Now, integrally suppressing that bad boy, I can definitely understand the draw to that, but the rest of the stuff, I don't get.

Enlighten me!  

I needed a new barrel to thread. The stock was a bonus. That, and the stock Ruger trigger sucks donkey...well...you know.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:56:49 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
pimping out guns is FUN!

What he said...
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:40:53 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
pimping out guns is FUN!

What he said...

*Nothing to see here*
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:54:51 PM EDT
[#36]
I've got a volquartsen carbon fiber barrel that has a compensator on it.  They make a thread adapter so you can take the comp off and thread the adapter on and then you have 1/2" 28.  then on goes the pilot.  

I also have a tac innovations barrel for my mkIII 22/45, and they do make awesome barrels that are threaded, so check them out.   you can get em for ruger 22's, pistol and rifle, and also for the buckmark.

and last for the  22 can I have a folding stocked gun with factory barrel cut to 16" and threaded.

we were doing some "pest" control at an airport today and the volquartsen barreled 22 was great!   very accurate, and quiet with subs.  

good luck, and if some of this has been posted already, sorry I didn't read all the posts very throughly..
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:53:25 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Enlighten me!  

I aucually agree with you here... the main thing i could not stand as soon as i bought my 10/22 was the trigger.. the stock trigger on that folcker was probably around 8-10 pounds... so i learned how and worked and worked on it and brought it down to a safe 2~ lbs pull... with no creep and over travel *some take up or pre travel in it but i like that personally*

now to pimp my own shizzle.. i have a full trigger job i have done thats drop in that i will let go right now for $30 plus parts trade in..

now as far as the rest of the stuff goes.. a bull barrel does help group size as well as trigger. but i just want a fun little plinker.. so thats why mine doesnt have one.. but if i where going to get a supressor.. if i'm allready going to be paying out 80 or so dollers to have the barrel threaded i would rather they do it to a bull barrel.. something that i'm not going to want to change in the future..

Jess
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:23:32 AM EDT
[#38]
I can bumpfire mine now with a 2lb trigger. it's fun.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:28:02 PM EDT
[#39]
So I was at the gunshow.  A couple hours after dropping my barrel off at TROS, I started talking with the guy selling Volquartsen stuff across the aisle from TROS.  I remark that it sucks that no one makes CF barrels that can be threaded.  He shows me an adapter that TROS made that will put 1/2x28 threads on a VQ compensated barrel.  Unscrew the comp, screw on the adapter and can.  

Oh hell yeah!  I think I know what my next build will be.  Especially if I can become one of the "cool kids"...

I was going to get the AT-22 barrel threaded, but it's to narrow, so it would need an adapter.  Mark McWillis said the total bill would be $130.  Since the only reason I was keeping it around was I thought a suppressed takedown rifle would be cool, now I don't see any reason to keep it.  Yet another gun I can offload (hint hint) to fund my DSA Para.  (Oh yes, it will be mine...)
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:39:31 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Enlighten me!  

I have to agree with most of that.  A 10-22 is a plinker.  I know, for $2000 you can turn it into a tack driver, but it will still be a 10-22.
I bought mine at BiMart for $169.
Ruger's factory trigger is horrible!  Drop in an aftermarket target hammer for $30, and the trigger pull drops to about 2 pounds.
I bought the threaded barrel for $70 because locally, they wanted $75 to thread my barrel....and I just happened to have a TAC-67 laying about....
I wanted a folding stock because its much easier to toss behind the seat of my truck, and is not quite as ugly as Ruger's plastic stock.  Besides, I like black plastic guns.
The mag, I had for my M11/9.

Why spend extra money on a plinker?  Hell, I don't know.  Why do I have twenty 30 round magazines for my AR!  Because I can, I guess.    ....and Hillary is not going to let me have any more, if she gets her wish....
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:35:35 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Pet peave...I hate folding stocks on 10/22s!

I love my Butler Creek folder.  Makes it damned easy to strap it along the side of my motorcycle when I take to the trails.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top