Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/15/2006 3:09:26 PM EDT
Why is everybody always bashing wolf? I've never had any problem with it whether I'm shooting my 9mm, .45, sks, ak or my ar. I never had a problem with it at all. Shoots fine, cycles fine. When I'm going to just go plinking I don't need minute of angle accuracy, just minute of pepsi can ALL HAIL WOLF THE PLINKSTER. LONG LIVE THE THROW AWAY CHEAP SHOOTER. Don't mess with me or I'll throw hot steel cases at you.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:15:16 PM EDT
[#1]
You will fit right in around here!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:19:26 PM EDT
[#2]
At last week practical rifle comp. my Glock jammed...I looked down and it was a random wolf round I forgot to throw away.

The only jams, round stuck in the chamber, and FTF in my M4 have been from Wolf.  The flash is very bright, it leaves red shit in the bore, it is VERY dirty, and you can't reload it.  It's also not much cheaper maybe even more now then quality brass ammo.

People might think their 91 Z28 Camero is the fastest car in the world till they start driving Ferraris.  The more you shoot, the less you will like it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:30:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
At last week practical rifle comp. my Glock jammed...I looked down and it was a random wolf round I forgot to throw away.

The only jams, round stuck in the chamber, and FTF in my M4 have been from Wolf.  The flash is very bright, it leaves red shit in the bore, it is VERY dirty, and you can't reload it.  It's also not much cheaper maybe even more now then quality brass ammo.

People might think their 91 Z28 Camero is the fastest car in the world till they start driving Ferraris.  The more you shoot, the less you will like it.

That was because it was a glock, it would have worked fine in my SIG.

I have gone throught about 10K of wolf and only had a few problems with it. For plinking that is fine but for PR or SD I just would not risk it.

I've had about 5 stuck cases, and about 20 failed to fire.

It's up to you.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:36:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I've certainly shot my share young'n. If your gonna compete then you might want to shoot better quality ammo, sure. But I'm talking about just going out having fun. I've heard way too many people bashing the use of wolf even for killin cans. People almost seem kinda stuck up about their ammo. If your going out just to waste ammo, then who cares. And I haven't had many ftf with it. The statement was made about plinking not competition. I wouldn't hunt with it but I still shoot alot of it. And the statement made about how my opinion might change as I shoot more........ How would you know how much I've shot. I might be new to this forum, but I'm far far far far from being new to shooting. Thanks for the know it all comment.hinking.gif
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:44:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I've gone through thousands of rounds of Wolf and never had a single round malfunction.  It goes bang every time.  The only problem ever with it was when I got my bushy M4 so dirty(from shooting Wolf) that the bolt wasn't seating properly and the firing pin was only denting the primer without setting it off.  I cleaned it and the problem was solved.  So IMHO the only problem with wolf is that it is dirty.  It's the only thing my AK has ever seen and about 95% of what my AR has been fed.  When I had my Glock 22 it loved the stuff.  I think the cost makes the little bit of extra grime worth it.  Hell you're gonna clean it anyway right?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:47:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Funny, my glocks don't  jam. But then again, I don't shoot wolf through them.

I shoot wolf thru my AR, but only because I shoot alot of .223 and wolf IS the cheapest locally available.  The only problem I've ever had is that it won't run with a Beta C Mag.  Works just fine in my normal mags.  Does seem to be lacking in the power department (won't reliably bump-fire).
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:49:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had a few issues with wolf but over all not that bad. For putting holes in paper(non-PR type stuff) I shoot wolf all day long. For work or home defense never
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:51:46 PM EDT
[#8]
While I don't like Wolf and think it's smoky, flashes, dirty, inaccurate, and can cause malfunctions (underpowered and not cycling the action usually), it at least goes bang.

However, my range time is usually pretty limited. I try to practice my skills in various positions and ranges. I want to see what I can really do.

For the extra $50 or so that it costs me per case, I'd rather shooter higher quality ammo (Black Hills usually).

But, for blasting or close range varmint killin' why not? If it works, use it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:53:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I shoot wolf thru my AR, but only because I shoot alot of .223 and wolf IS the cheapest locally available.  The only problem I've ever had is that it won't run with a Beta C Mag.  Works just fine in my normal mags.  Does seem to be lacking in the power department (won't reliably bump-fire).

Yeah, I'm sure you've noticed that after about 60-70 rounds in the Beta mag it gets hard to load. As a result, the top round is under more tension. It thus needs a good cycle to get it free and into the chamber. With Wolf being underpowered, I don't think it can reliably strip a round out. BUT, if you give the rifle more gas, it should work fine, right?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:56:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, I'm sure you've noticed that after about 60-70 rounds in the Beta mag it gets hard to load. As a result, the top round is under more tension. It thus needs a good cycle to get it free and into the chamber. With Wolf being underpowered, I don't think it can reliably strip a round out. BUT, if you give the rifle more gas, it should work fine, right?

That's the feeling I get.  Wish I could "turn up the gas".  Also, the steel cases aren't as smooth as brass, so I think the little extra friction against the plastic might play a role...
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:24:36 PM EDT
[#11]
When XM193 first started going up in price and West Side was but a newbie at practical rifle I was using an AK.  I bought a case of Wolf, found it functioned fine at the range (other than hitting the side of the rifle and destroying the finish),  so took it to a PR match. I guess the cold morning got to it, or it had some very underpowered rounds in the case mix, because my AK became a single shot for much of the match (WS4lif is my witness)!

So Wolf has performed fine for me as an afternoon range round for plinking and has been fine for the pit shoots as well. But early in the morning at a practical rifle match it let me down.

Accuracy wise it is the worst ammo I have ever tested and it's impossible to sight in an AR with it because it is all over the place. You want to shoot pepsi cans?   At 100 yards you will miss more than you connect. At 50 yards you will be missing a lot too.    

Randy is adding pop cans to the upcoming PR mix so Wolf ammo will guarantee a poor showing.

Nowhere in this post have I bashed Wolf. I merely have stated the facts.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:02:50 PM EDT
[#12]
The "old Wolf"  (laquer coated I believe) was the only thing to gum up my Glocks...after a while it would hesitate stripping the round from the mag.  The new Wolf doesn't seem to do that.  Still I don't buy it much.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:22:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Wolf =  But I hate cleaning the coating on the primer out of the gun after.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:26:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:34:14 PM EDT
[#15]
WS4lif should retell the tale of the time a Wolf shell casing got stuck in his rifle chamber at TCGC and the RO came over and had a fit and the whole line of shooters was upset because "ceasefire" did not equal move forward and check targets when an uncleared, non-chamber flagged rifle was holding everything up.

Rules are rules and the delicate balance of the deer hunters stomach was upset that day. That made it almost worth it.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:52:59 PM EDT
[#16]
As far as the comment about having a hard time hitting at fifty yards goes. Two saturdays ago I went out to test my first ak build at a quarry I shoot at alot. I was shooting about 50 yards and offhand walked that pop can up the opposite slope without problem and that was with wolf. And yes I tested my first build with wolf. No FTF no cycling problems sweet sweet sweet.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:07:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:14:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
As far as the comment about having a hard time hitting at fifty yards goes. Two saturdays ago I went out to test my first ak build at a quarry I shoot at alot. I was shooting about 50 yards and offhand walked that pop can up the opposite slope without problem and that was with wolf. And yes I tested my first build with wolf. No FTF no cycling problems sweet sweet sweet.

Outstanding!

I hope to see you do that at an upcoming Practical Rifle match.  I had a hard time hitting pop cans at the Practical Rifle sniper match with my FAL, which is one of the reasons I am using an AR right now. Even some many of the .308 sniper rifles didn't hit all four pop cans.

I would love to see an offhand held AK shooting Wolf clean up against all these freefloated barrel ARs shooting Black Hills ammo.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:37:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Tango....this may be your funnest post ever!  
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:51:21 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Tango....this may be your funnest post ever!  

I think this one is funnier (near the bottom):
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=36&t=226646
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:20:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Sure tango, but I'm sure they're shooting a bit further than 50 yards. If your having a hard time hitting them at fifty yards, put your gun down and pick up a knitting needlei'm just giving you a hard time. I'd like to come and check out one of the PR matches. Is there a cost for spectaters?
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:27:47 PM EDT
[#22]
CAMARO

Jeez....at least spell it right.

One of these days this site might actually wake up and realize Wolf is cheap plinking ammo, no more, no less. But in that role, it shines.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 9:33:09 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
i'm just giving you a hard time. I'd like to come and check out one of the PR matches. Is there a cost for spectaters?

Everything you need to know.

Practical Rifle

Speed Steel

Hope you can make it out.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:05:51 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The more you shoot, the less you will like it.

I always found just the opposite to be true.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:15:48 AM EDT
[#25]
I've shot Wolf in 9mm, .40, .45, 7.62x39, 5.45x39 and .223/5.56x45.

The only issues I've had with 7.62x39 or 5.45x39 Wolf have been rifle related.

As for other issues with the other calibers, I haven't had any more failures with Wolf than I have with Winchester 9mm NATO, Winchester .40, Winchester .45, or Federal XM193/XM855.

The only reason I'm not shooting Wolf in the non-AK stuff lately is because I'm becoming a brass-whore, and buying brass-cased ammo so I can hoard the spent brass.

Long live Wolf!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:19:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Buying Wolf is supporting communism. You don't want to be a commie, do you?!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:47:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Why i shoot a Commie Gun.....

over 1K of wolf through my AK and never had a problem.. shot some brass cased cheeth and had a live round get stuck in the chamber... even that wasent a problem becuse all i had to do was discharge the round to clear it.. *couldent charge the rifle to clear*

Wolf kicks ass its no target ammo *at least the steel cased stuff.. and lest not the Wolf Match 22lr that stuff is used by serious benchresters*  but for blowing ammo out plinking or through an AK at PR it has functioned flawlessly for me..

Jess
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:13:07 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Buying Wolf is supporting communism. You don't want to be a commie, do you?!

Since when is Russia a commie state?

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:21:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Not everybody is.  It shoot fine in all my AR's.  I'll admit that it is finicky in my beta mag. though.

Anymore it is becoming expensive and for a few dollars more, I'm going with lake city or bh remanu.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:52:29 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Sure tango, but I'm sure they're shooting a bit further than 50 yards.

The close one was only 75 yards!  It was the only one I hit that day

I’m sure Randy will have some 50 yarders setup for regular PR matches soon.

Come on out and join the group. Just beware that there are usually 6" steel targets at 200+ yards.  Unka-Boo is the only AK shooter that can reliably hit them at that range with iron sights, but that's because he is the Lance Armstrong of AK shooters.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:59:07 AM EDT
[#31]

because he is the Lance Armstrong of AK shooters.

OH SHIT!  Unka-Boo has Cancer?!?!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:12:30 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

because he is the Lance Armstrong of AK shooters.

OH SHIT!  Unka-Boo has Cancer?!?!

Clean living, gorgeous babes and AK shooting cured it!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:55:39 AM EDT
[#33]

but I'm far far far far from being new to shooting. Thanks for the know it all comment.

Sorry, I saw SKS and Wolf Ammo in the same sentence....just put two and two together.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:01:07 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

but I'm far far far far from being new to shooting. Thanks for the know it all comment.

Sorry, I saw SKS and Wolf Ammo in the same sentence....just put two and two together.

Anyone who doesn't own an SKS doesn't know what they're missing, and should be beaten for not owning such a wonderful gun that's so damned cheap.

SKSeseses are great!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:02:21 AM EDT
[#35]
True, but they are generally owned by new shooters.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:10:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Thanks for the backup kythri.

as far as woos side for life's commenthould
Sorry for the bash ws4lf just messing with you. It shoots cheap ammo, is actually far more accurate than most give credit for, and is really cheap to buy. Why not own one, I'm getting a five round mag for mine so my wife can deer hunt with it this year. Great brush gun, the round is comperable to a 30-30.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:21:09 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Anyone who doesn't own an SKS doesn't know what they're missing, and should be beaten for not owning such a wonderful gun that's so damned cheap.

SKSeseses are great!

I might get one just for a cheap shooter, but my dad won't let one in the house.  Same with AK's.  Something about being bitter from having them fired at him in a jungle in SE Asia...
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:29:59 AM EDT
[#38]

Something about being bitter from having them fired at him in a jungle in SE Asia

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:12:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:43:58 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sure tango, but I'm sure they're shooting a bit further than 50 yards.

The close one was only 75 yards!  It was the only one I hit that day

I’m sure Randy will have some 50 yarders setup for regular PR matches soon.

Come on out and join the group. Just beware that there are usually 6" steel targets at 200+ yards.  Unka-Boo is the only AK shooter that can reliably hit them at that range with iron sights, but that's because he is the Lance Armstrong of AK shooters.

Who, me?  Now you guys are gonna make me regret selling it...  I do wanna pich up another SKS someday, I miss the hell outa my Norinco....

eta= thanks for the compliment TF!!
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:52:15 AM EDT
[#41]
What do you think about the accuracy of a sks compared to an ak? long range close range? And your 200+ yard prowess with a ak was that a 47 or a 74 and was that offhand or rested?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 10:59:57 AM EDT
[#42]
I love my Norinco SKS that I paid $79 for, deliverer. Carried it a few times when I used to hunt the coast range as a brush gun. I wish I would have bought a few more back then.

Sks' and AK's are good robust guns that have their place. If I ever get in shape enough to shoot PR, I might just have to bring out my AK.

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:20:52 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
What do you think about the accuracy of a sks compared to an ak? long range close range? And your 200+ yard prowess with a ak was that a 47 or a 74 and was that offhand or rested?

Accuracy, I would say about the same for all intents and puposes...with a slight edge to the SKS ( longer sight radius...) I had a SAR1 ( 47 ).....I really consider myself an average shooter, I just think the AK doesn't get as much credit as it deserves. While it's not a MOA rifle, it gets it's intended job done well. The biggest thing you have to learn is how to compensate for the rainbow trajectory of the x39 round, which means practice at varying yardages to see where the POI is. After awhile, it becomes 2nd nature. I will confess, it took me a year or so to get very proficiant with it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:02:08 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SKSeseses are great!

Right up on my list.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:21:05 PM EDT
[#45]
I did just order a 10/22 barrel....
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:28:26 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

SKSeseses are great!

I shot one (Nox's) and wasn't impressed. It's okay, but the stock is too short, weight bias is too far forward and the ejecting brass/cases are distracting.

But the bayonets are COOL!

I do agree with Nox though that it would make a good semi-auto brush gun.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:32:42 PM EDT
[#47]

I do agree with Nox though that it would make a good semi-auto brush gun

Only if hunting bums...
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:38:32 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I did just order a 10/22 barrel....

TacSol?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:00:47 PM EDT
[#49]
<------- Dont like the AK platformm....especially the sks
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:39:28 PM EDT
[#50]
MMMMMMMMM Wolf

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top