Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2006 9:29:19 PM EDT
I'm looking at buying my first AR.  CDNN lists Bushmaster A3 Patrolman rifles for $799.  After shipping and paperwork I figure around $860.  

Any local places to buy that are close on price?  I would prefer to buy local.

Thank you
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:42:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Looking to buy a new one? or a used one?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:43:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Probably new.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:48:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Your thread has me thinking I should just stick with AK's though, something that makes the rifle malfunction threads into the top of the bolt - lord why!

My buddies Bushmaster has been treated like poo, cleaned 2-3 times in around 3k rounds, primarily wolf, with no malufnctions.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:56:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Thats been my first issue with that rifle. It's been good. It puts the lead exactly where I place the sights every time.

Im just used to my Saiga running like a train. But I couldn't hit crap with it over 100 yards..  even with a scope. AR's in general have higher tolerance parts, more precise engineering, and seem to have quirks. I agree on the carrier key. two coarse threadded hex bolts seem like a bad idea. theres only a small gas port in there. I might try to find a crapper carrier and have it MIG welded on then use a small die grinder to smooth it out.

I was just one of the people that had a problem with it. Many people don't.

I say GET ONE! and an AK. That way you have the Good Guy and the Bad Guy guns.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:20:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm looking at buying my first AR.  CDNN lists Bushmaster A3 Patrolman rifles for $799.  After shipping and paperwork I figure around $860.  

Thank you

Check Keith's (sometime they have $100 discounts) and Sportsman's Warehouse. It can be pretty hit and miss though.

You can also just order one direct and have it delivered to the FFL of your choice. There are a couple of FFLs near Portland that will do the transfer for $20.  Some shops charge double that so check before you choose.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 12:21:05 AM EDT
[#6]
My father and I have both had great experiences buying at the Philomath Gun Shop. Wes will hook you up. All his firearms are $20 above cost.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:31:35 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Thank you

Where abouts in Oregon?  In the Portland area, I would agree with Keith's, too.  The last gun show he had the Bushmasters at $100-150 off.  Even a few RRA's at $100 off.  He also usually has a few used ones on the racks as well, if you want to save a few bucks.  Lots of folks won't go there because of the customer service, etc.  But I've bought 90% of my firearms from him, and sure, a few in there can be dorks at times, but I'm not in there for social intercourse.  Keith himself, or his wife have always been great.  

You might also hold out until the next gun show coming up here.  There's always someone willing to make a deal.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:31:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
My father and I have both had great experiences buying at the Philomath Gun Shop. Wes will hook you up. All his firearms are $20 above cost.

You know he is a pretty good guy. Delt with him on several occasion.
CH
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:57:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you for the replies.  I had not thought about an upcomming gun show.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:44:33 AM EDT
[#10]
The Philomath Gun Shop is at all the major gunshows around here, but they may not have as good a selection of ARs as they have in the shop, and you'll have to compete for the attention of Wes with all the other potential buyers. That's going to be the case at any booth of a gunshow actually.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Or you could by the parts and have someone show you how to build it, I done that with 4-5 of my friends. Its awesome to know how to build one and fix you own if something breaks or you wanna upgrade it
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:50:25 PM EDT
[#12]
My wife gave me one of these for Christmas and its a wonderful rifle. I have fired almost 1K rounds of various milsurp makes and weights and it has not even looked like it was going to fail to function. The dealer who handled mine was AA American Arms in Eugene ($20) and he said he couldn't buy it as cheap as I did.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:31:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CH

I'll throw another good word behind Wes at the Philomath Gun Shop.

I bought my Bushy M4gery from him, and done a few transfers through him as well.

He and his wife are good people.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:08:39 AM EDT
[#14]
I've heard good things about Philomath as well, but I picked up my Bushmaster M4 from Sportsmans Warehouse in Salem for $825 as it was local and seemed to be a decent buy, if you do go there though, stay away from the little short troll with the European accent, he's a dumb piece of $hit.  I've asked him some of the simplest questions before and he absolutely has no frickin clue, you ask him to see a certain gun and he hands you something not even remotely close to what you asked for - He should be transferred to the cash register.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:01:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I suggest that if you can, then make it to the Expo show later this month. If your looking to pick one up local, that would be a great place to start. A lot of venders start thinking............ well I'll cut the price down on this a touch just so I don't have to haul it back to the shop. They also know that their competition is right across the room and not across town.

Nox
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:11:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I have bought most of my guns at the Philomath Gun Shop. They are great. If they don't have what you are looking for they will order it for you.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:19:19 PM EDT
[#17]
try nw armory in milwaukie
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:51:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

CH

I'll throw another good word behind Wes at the Philomath Gun Shop.

I bought my Bushy M4gery from him, and done a few transfers through him as well.

He and his wife are good people.

I really like them as well.  Any price difference for me has always been more than made up for in friendliness and actual product experience.  And damn they know how to pack a lot of crap in a tiny place!

Cheers
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:25:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I used to buy a ton of guns from keith's and now they have a bigger shop.  Last time couple times I bought they were very rude, I know they get busy but still.  His wife and him are always pretty nice but I now choose to shop elsewhere.

I recenty bought a Bushy m4 leo/gov't model nib from a member on the boards for a very good price.  I buy mostly online now since we have Pat not to far from us.  Plus he always lets me shoot his new toys.  Which reminds me I need to buy something else and see how his silencers are comming along.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top