Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2006 9:50:52 AM EDT
Is there a max weight for hunting guns in Oregon?  I've got one guy telling me 20 lbs and another that wants to shoot an elk with an AR-50.  What say the authorities on the subject?  Thanks.

-Scott
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:52:46 AM EDT
[#1]
No weight limit.
50 is OK but not a very good elk gun!

I am not saying it hasnt been done, just a bit much in my book.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:14:18 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Is there a max weight for hunting guns in Oregon?  I've got one guy telling me 20 lbs and another that wants to shoot an elk with an AR-50.  What say the authorities on the subject?  Thanks.

-Scott

Why would there be a weight limit on a Firearm I have been hunting for over 30 yrs. And have never seen that in writing. Or even a mention of it. On a more practical point, your weight limit would be How much can you carry all day long.

AR50 for Elk? Sure at a 1000+ yards!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:43:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:49:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Here is a link to the weapons restrictions

The only thing I see is that you cannot use "military or FMJ bullets" so may want to watch that one.

I had a customer whom a few years ago had a 30x378 wby mag built just for 500+ yard elk hunting, seems as though he fealt he was missing too many opportunities becuase of a lack of range of his current elk rifle.  He ended up getting a shot at a bull, missed it 3 times, it was only 65yards away from him.  His buddy said he sailed all of the shots at least a foot over the bulls back

I like that 30-378!! That is a thumpin sumbitch!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:51:58 AM EDT
[#5]
So we can hunt elk with this?

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:55:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:06:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Why?  I don't know why.  He's just one of those guys who'd like to be able to say he shot and elk at 1000 yards.

No weight restricitons then, good to know.  Thanks fellas.

-Scott
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:09:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
So we can hunt elk with this?

www.ginklai.net/images/galerija/1623_70565716.jpg

Now thats what I'm talking about baby!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 12:20:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Why?  I don't know why.  He's just one of those guys who'd like to be able to say he shot and elk at 1000 yards.

-Scott

I think its a stupid idea.
Hitting at 1k is not an easy task, even with a 50. Sure you can smack car sized rocks and such but placing a cold barrel shot in a 12" ring at 1k after sitting in your stand all morning or packing a 25lb gun around is not somthing you can "just" do.

That kind if hunting is irresponsible if you ask me.

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:43:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Scott

I think its a stupid idea.
Hitting at 1k is not an easy task, even with a 50. Sure you can smack car sized rocks and such but placing a cold barrel shot in a 12" ring at 1k after sitting in your stand all morning or packing a 25lb gun around is not somthing you can "just" do.

That kind if hunting is irresponsible if you ask me.

+1
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:52:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I agree with Cape. Hunting is about fair chase and having respect for the animal and the outdoors. Sitting on a landing and taking pot shots at 1000m is akin to throwing a stick of dynamite in the lake.  If you can afford a .50 or some other portable cannon it's obvious that you don't need the meat because you are too poor. Learn your prey, study their habitat, and actually hunt them. Then, if you end up with an animal you can look back with pride and enjoyment about the whole experience.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:06:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I agree with Cape. Hunting is about fair chase and having respect for the animal and the outdoors. Sitting on a landing and taking pot shots at 1000m is akin to throwing a stick of dynamite in the lake.  If you can afford a .50 or some other portable cannon it's obvious that you don't need the meat because you are too poor. Learn your prey, study their habitat, and actually hunt them. Then, if you end up with an animal you can look back with pride and enjoyment about the whole experience.

You gona fish or sit there and talk?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:15:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd rather fish, but the river is blown out today. Oh well, I'll just sit here at work at check out some more pron.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:51:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'd rather fish, but the river is blown out today. Oh well, I'll just sit here at work at check out some more pron.

First honest conffession in this forum in a long time.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:17:45 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I like that 30-378!! That is a thumpin sumbitch!

Yeah, would be cool untill came time to reload for it.  IIRC 65-70 rounds per lb of powder

I'd like to shoot one of the 338x378 instead, I've seen a 340 spank an elk like the hand of god struck them down, can only assume the higher velocity would help that out some.

But, comes the question of how much is too much?  With the 416 cheytac who's to say you cannot find a stout bullet built for a 416 Rem,Rigby or Nitro and load that up?  Just be a PIA to find an action long enough to house it.  Single shot maybe?

I've got a 338/378. Still takes 95-100grs a shot. Brass is stupid expensive. Muzzle blast is insane with the brake. I love it. I've got some 300 SMKs coming for it. I had it out at one shoot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top