Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2006 9:06:41 AM EDT
I want to build one and buy a .30 can, but wanted to shoot one, or hear one get shot before I did.   Havn't heard much talk about them around here, but thouht I would check..

thanks, jon
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:40:48 AM EDT
[#1]
no one?  I'm a little suprised, sounds like a fun gun.

Think I'll just have to work one up in a contender or bolt gun for maximum lack of noise!  

has anyone shot one, and how does it compare to a suppressed .22 subsonic?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:52:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:00:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I had one built on a Winchester Stealth rifle with my GemTech TPR-S.   I couldn't get it to shoot for shit so I parted it out.   .300 Whisper is a finicky round to load especially subsonic.
Be aware that both Winchester model 70's and Remington 700's will not reliably eject spent Whisper brass.   They tend to jump off of the extractor prematurely and sit right in the breach.
Subsonic was very quiet but nothing is as quiet as a subsonic .22
Since the whole point of subsonic is to shoot the heaviest round available, be prepared to spend quite a bit on bullets.   Sierra 240's are very expensive and most people go with the 220's, even Corbon which is the only factory ammo I know of.
You will want to reload this since muzzle velocity is crucial and varies alot depending on barrel, barrel length, bullet weight, etc.   As an example, I shot some factory Corbon through my rifle and it only clocked at 850fps.
Hope this helps.
Heres a pic of what I have left:
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:16:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I want to build one and buy a .30 can, but wanted to shoot one, or hear one get shot before I did.   Havn't heard much talk about them around here, but thouht I would check..

thanks, jon

what part of the state are you in?   I have one and it is very quiet and I have not noticed much problems reloading it- seems to work pretty good every time i use it.

i live in deschutes county.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:33:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Talk to Mark McWillis at TROS.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:23:10 AM EDT
[#6]
If anybody is looking for a deal on 240SMKs, I bought a box (500) for my 300WBY then found out I don't have a fast enough twist.
I thought about building a 300 whisper upper just so I could use them, but went with a 458SOCOM instead.

There has also been some discussion over in the M16 forum about using 762x39 with a .308 barrel. There is supposed to be plenty of case capacity for subsonic 240 loads and it isn't a proprietary cartridge. If you're going to do a TC it might not matter much, but in an AR upper it migh be cheaper or easier.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:06:22 AM EDT
[#7]
there we go...thanks for the replys...

yes i reload, so that wouldn't be an issue.  as far as ejector problems go, I think I'm just going to get a contender with a SSK built barrel so that would also not be a problem, but still good to know.  not sure what can yet, but that won't be to hard to decide on.

danonly.....I live near salem, but would be willing to travel a bit to check it out sometime, I'll pm you...

I shoot a lot of .30cal so I already have a lot of the bullets...

azathoth......how much you want for the 240 SMK's?  interested if the price is right...pm sent also..

thanks guys, check back in a bit
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top