Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2006 11:36:11 AM EDT
Hey  Just got me a new AR and a new H&K  and I'm looking to break it in on some poor little ol' bunnies and yotes.  I'm not familiar with  Eastern Oregon so I'm asking if someone here would like to extend an open invitation to me and a buddy to go reinstate some "predator" population control with them?  Or for some directions to a good place to drive to on my own.  I'm open to either Saturdays or Sundays, but gotta be back for work on Mondays.  I'm reading that Harney county is a good place to go.  Any takers?  I'll bring the beer.

IM or email me.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:32:35 PM EDT
[#1]

Is it that time of year again?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:23:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I would also be interested in joining any kind of shooting party! I could bring the pizza!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:45:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm waiting on my American 180 paperwork to pass thru those little bureaucrat  fingers and when that happens bunnies beware....  
I've stockpiled 15K of .22 for some 1,500 rounds a minute fun...
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:16:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm waiting on my American 180 paperwork to pass thru those little bureaucrat  fingers and when that happens bunnies beware....  

You bastard!!!! Those are great guns!!!

I know another member here is waiting on a Norrel 10/22 to clear as well. Fun times!!!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:49:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:01:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Hey  Just got me a new AR and a new H&K  and I'm looking to break it in on some poor little ol' bunnies and yotes.  I'm not familiar with  Eastern Oregon so I'm asking if someone here would like to extend an open invitation to me and a buddy to go reinstate some "predator" population control with them?  Or for some directions to a good place to drive to on my own.  I'm open to either Saturdays or Sundays, but gotta be back for work on Mondays.  I'm reading that Harney county is a good place to go.  Any takers?  I'll bring the beer.

IM or email me.

No Bunnies out yet. Still have 12" snow on the ground. We are still getting down to single digits at night. Winter is still the rule out here in harney county.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:56:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I haven't seen many rabbits in my neck of the woods.  I'll be heading out to Boyce Correl in a few weeks and can scout.

April sounds good.  

I wouldn't shoot a rabbit with an AR though.  I have a .22 Long Arm attachment that's pretty fun.  Spend a lot of time loading mags though.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:18:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You bastard!!!! Those are great guns!!!

I know another member here is waiting on a Norrel 10/22 to clear as well. Fun times!!!

My guns funner than your gun.... nah nah nah nah....
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:51:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Mid to late April seems to be the perfect time for sage rats.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:03:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm hoping to get a group hunt for the little bastard sage rats/yotes.  Looking at a calendar I'm seeing April 14th-16th  or 21st-23rd.  I'm hearing that's a good time to see them in Harney county.

Curious how many people could commit to such an idea.  I can vouch for myself and 2 others interested.  Let me know if you're up for it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:37:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I haven't seen many rabbits in my neck of the woods.  I'll be heading out to Boyce Correl in a few weeks and can scout.

April sounds good.  

I wouldn't shoot a rabbit with an AR though.  I have a .22 Long Arm attachment that's pretty fun.  Spend a lot of time loading mags though.

I have a 17HMR Marlin with a 20x Weaver scope that I've been dying to try on some live prey!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:38:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'm hoping to get a group hunt for the little bastard sage rats/yotes.  Looking at a calendar I'm seeing April 14th-16th  or 21st-23rd.  I'm hearing that's a good time to see them in Harney county.

Curious how many people could commit to such an idea.  I can vouch for myself and 2 others interested.  Let me know if you're up for it.

I'll be there! Let me know and I'll request the vacation time off! :)
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:47:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Mid to late April seems to be the perfect time for sage rats.

what he said
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:07:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:33:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I'll be over in Warner Valley this upcoming weekend, if anyone wants to meet up for a day just IM me.

Same weekend as speed steel
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:43:25 AM EDT
[#16]
oops
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:44:05 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I wouldn't shoot a rabbit with an AR though.  

I planned on skinning and eating my first rabbit...(taken via AR15)

The torso ripped in half as the rabbit flew ~10 ft spiraling through the air

I thought it would go clean thru and leave a .223 sized hole....

and that was with wolf 62 gr HP if I remember correctly
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:05:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:17:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Coworkers just returned from bunny killin!

They were thick!!!!!!

Got bored shooting them and started sticking them with the recurve!

That tells me they are out!!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:26:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Man sounds like a lot of fun, I'll have to try making it over something this year.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:08:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

First off, the rabbits I shoot over east are not fit to eat, leave one lay for a few hours and you'll see what I mean Large 3" worm that lives up a certain cavity crawls out looking for another warm home

Yup, one year when they were thick my hunting partner & I went on a rabbit hunt and got to Cottonwood Cr. in the "late evening." We decided to shoot a couple on the way in for supper. Got to where we camped and lit the lantern to skin them out -- end of rabbit idea for supper with all the ticks/sores on them.

Also back in the early 70s two people from the valley (Lebanon and Albany) got bubonic plague from handling them. The man from Lebanon died since it took the Dr. too long to correctly diagnose what he had. After that they published warnings about handling eastern OR rabbits for a few years but I haven't seen one of those warnings for years now.

NMSight
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:19:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:25:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Wow, I hope the weather and population holds for another 3 weeks till class is out.  Then I'm there.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:43:37 PM EDT
[#24]
well If I want to take my ar out onto BLM land for rabbit shooting, should I use my 4moa red dot(clonepoint) or my bushnell 3-9x scope? Changing them in the field isnt very practical because loss of zero,etc.  

ETA: what are some specific areas? I can lodge myself at a friends dad's place around powell butte, is the BLM around there swarming with rabbits?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:00:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:26:38 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
well If I want to take my ar out onto BLM land for rabbit shooting, should I use my 4moa red dot(clonepoint) or my bushnell 3-9x scope? Changing them in the field isnt very practical because loss of zero,etc.  

ETA: what are some specific areas? I can lodge myself at a friends dad's place around powell butte, is the BLM around there swarming with rabbits?

Let me know when you want to go, I'm in that area(don't know it very well though).

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:40:12 PM EDT
[#27]
shit I'd go right now If could, but Im stuck on swing shift so I have no idea how Im ever going to arrange a trip without begging to be put on days :\

no BUIS, I'm assuming I should just carry a bunch of spare batteries and hope for the best huh?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 1:53:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:58:18 PM EDT
[#29]
What size batteries do your scopes run?  Lithium's are the way to go if available for cold/freezing weather.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:09:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:32:25 AM EDT
[#31]
wow! I didn't know batteries were so sensitive to that much cold, well hopefully by the time I can actually get out there it will be much much warmer
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top