Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2006 9:45:26 PM EDT
I was just thinking about how glad I am that I live in Oregon and have access to all of our great beers.
So of the Oregon brewers what are your favorites? I'm especially interested to see if anyone brings
up any small breweries that I have not heard of yet.

My favorite right now is Black Butte Porter from Deschutes Brewery but there is also a new brew pub in Sandy that makes some very good stuff right out back behind the bar.

Cheers

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:14:56 PM EDT
[#1]
+1 on the BBP.

I am also quite fond of Obsidian Stout, and Widmer Hefeweizen.

That pretty much rounds out the top three.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:04:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Coal Porter from Off the Rail Brewing Co.  in Yamhill...  love that shit.

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:56:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I find the Drop Top quite tasty
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:52:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Chocolate Stout from Rogue Brewery is hands down the best micro-brew out there.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 7:50:45 AM EDT
[#5]
So far I like Terminator Stout...but I want to try the others listed here
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:06:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Widmer Hefeweizen, never could get into the dark micro brews...
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:14:32 AM EDT
[#7]
McMenamins Black Rabbit Porter is nice and smooth with a smokey/chocolate finish.  I have not had it in a while but I assume they still make it.  Mmmmmmm.........Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer........
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:44:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Snow Cap owns all.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 8:47:40 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
McMenamins Black Rabbit Porter is nice and smooth with a smokey/chocolate finish.  I have not had it in a while but I assume they still make it.  Mmmmmmm.........Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer........

+1 for Black Rabbit although the only place I see it regulary is Edgefield.

I like Shakespeare Stout from Rogue Brewing Company.  It takes 10 minutes to pour a pitcher of
it! ;-)

BBP is always a good beer, and you can get it practically anywhere in Oregon.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:02:58 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Chocolate Stout from Rogue Brewery is hands down the best micro-brew out there.

Don't know how much longer Rogue can be considered a "micro" brew as they are getting bigger by the day...  They are in the process of buying up failing micros managing them under the prior name.... One of their aquistions is a fave of mine.... The "country atmosphere" they mention is all the locals sitting in there drinking Miller Lite til they're too drunk to walk straight......

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 9:29:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Don't know how much longer Rogue can be considered a "micro" brew as they are getting bigger by the day...  

Deschutes Brewery is not really a microbrewery either.  When I took the tour last summer they said they were on pace to make more than 70,000 barrels of beer in 2005.

I've heard the rule of thumb that a microbrewery produces less than 15,000 barrles per day and only sells locally and regionally.  If you limit it to 15,000 barrels, that would mean that Bridgeport, Deschutes, Full Sail, and Widmer aren't tehnically micro's anymore.  I think Rogue still ships less than 15,000 barrels per year, but it has to be close by now.

Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:56:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Damn this is such a hard question.......

MINE!!!!

I make a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone full of hops and great flavor. Hay fever sufferers need not apply...
I also make a Bavarian Wheat (because I'm German from 3 gen's back) that is a great wheat beer with a full bodied flavor...just a hint of spice (not a seasonal over done spice beer by any means)...I'm not a fan of the darker beers but I do have a recipe for a dark ale (similar to the porters) I pull out around fall.

I have a bunch more but I got side tracked... Mcminamans makes a few good ales worth drinking (hammerhead-Nitro if available, and their standard IPA is really good).  

I know there is a bunch of good commercial brands out there (Pyramid, WA?, and of course Wid Bro's, Descuetes, and the list continues) We truly live in a beer have......

Off to go get a beer
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:49:05 PM EDT
[#13]
That sounds great OrARGB... So great in fact I think full sized samples are in order for the next shoot...
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:58:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Ya know I sure missed the last (would have been my first) shoot. We took the Scouts to Camp Rilea that weekend and had the run of the camp....

I'll keep my ears open for the next shoot and yes, I could make a few batches with little encouragement...
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:13:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:02:41 AM EDT
[#16]
One thing I don't really understand about Oregon (and US in general) micro-brews, is why they seem to think that it isn't a micro-brew if its not cloudy as hell, and tastes of raw yeast.

Yes, it does give the impression of "home made", but really on the negative side of that connotation.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever why a micro-brew should not be crystal clear and tase of BEER rather than the ingredients used to make it -- except of course that it takes time and patience unless you resort to the industrial methods the big boys use -- which in turn leads to stuff that has to be served at the temperature of liquid nitrogen so as to kill the tase buds before they can register what the crap really tastes like.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:40:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Philip, I agree with you 100% on the "Big Boy's" beer sucking.  But I'm not sure about your impression of micros having to be cloudy and  yeast like.  There are several beers mentioned on this thread that arn't what I would call a dark beer.  Try Drop Top or the Widmere Hef.  Both are usually available everywhere, even 7-11.  Also many Oregon micro breweries have IPAs if you want a "crystal clear" beer.  Just my .02

Happy Drinkin'
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:58:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
One thing I don't really understand about Oregon (and US in general) micro-brews, is why they seem to think that it isn't a micro-brew if its not cloudy as hell, and tastes of raw yeast.

Yes, it does give the impression of "home made", but really on the negative side of that connotation.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever why a micro-brew should not be crystal clear and tase of BEER rather than the ingredients used to make it -- except of course that it takes time and patience unless you resort to the industrial methods the big boys use -- which in turn leads to stuff that has to be served at the temperature of liquid nitrogen so as to kill the tase buds before they can register what the crap really tastes like.

Somebody's been drinkin to much Miller Lite me thinks.....
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:27:56 PM EDT
[#19]
tastes great.... like bleach mixed with white bread and strained through dirty draws.

less filling.... drink a case in a half hour, have to piss every 8 minutes 7 seconds and still feel sober.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:37:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Philip, I agree with you 100% on the "Big Boy's" beer sucking.  But I'm not sure about your impression of micros having to be cloudy and  yeast like.  There are several beers mentioned on this thread that arn't what I would call a dark beer.  Try Drop Top or the Widmere Hef.  Both are usually available everywhere, even 7-11.  Also many Oregon micro breweries have IPAs if you want a "crystal clear" beer.  Just my .02

Happy Drinkin'

The darker brews don't have that problem -- and yes, I do drink them from time to time.
Some of my favorites come from The Pelican (Pacific City) and the pub who's name I have forgotten, but I am going there tonight in McMinnville.

When I go to Mcminnemans I usually drink Guiness - their IPA is not bad, but its variable, and sometimes suffers from the cloudy/yeast problem.

As for Miller Light --- tried one once. Learned my lesson there and then.
I have to admit having had more than one since, but only because the hotel I was staying in had that or Bud Light (or better stuff if I wanted to pay for it).

ETA: One day we will have to organize a group outing to England -- then I will introduce you to some REAL real-ale (microbrews).
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:23:28 PM EDT
[#21]

One day we will have to organize a group outing to England -- then I will introduce you to some REAL real-ale (microbrews).

...and then we'll go over to Ireland and taste what Guinness was meant to taste like (hint: it ain't what you get here, even the stuff on tap)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top