Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2006 9:13:19 PM EDT
I read this article today about some homie who was caught in a stolen car which was packed full of illegal rifles and guns. Normally for this kind of offense a person would get 6 months jail time, but the judge gave him 6 years. I will try to recover the article and post it on here, so you can get more of the scoop. I just wanted to know what you all thought about it, and if you know anyone missing a bunch of expensive guns? He was arrested off of Scholls Ferry rd. in Tigard.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:01:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I found the article.

The arrest was June 30th, I'm sure the owner got their guns back by now.  

Felon in possession of firearm in OR is only a C Felony...  doesn't say anything about the guy's criminal history so he may not have even got that much in Oregon.

www.oregonlive.com/metrowest/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/metro_west_news/1138685115265760.xml&coll=7

Tigard man draws 5-year sentence in gun case

Federal charges - The 23-year-old was arrested with five guns after a chase in Beaverton
Tuesday, January 31, 2006
HOLLY DANKS

A federal judge on Monday sentenced a 23-year-old Tigard man to five years in prison for having an arsenal of weapons in his car when Beaverton police arrested him after a high-speed chase.

Carlos Alberto Santos received 10 times the six-month sentence he probably would have gotten if the case had been kept in Washington County Circuit Court, said Fred Weinhouse, assistant U.S. attorney. Santos, who pleaded guilty, was sentenced under Project Safe Neighborhoods, a federal program to get illegal guns off the streets.

"It sends a message to people who illegally possess firearms in Washington County," Weinhouse said. "Five years is a serious federal firearms sentence."

Weinhouse said police found five guns in Santos' Mazda when they arrested him June 30 in the Murrayhill area. They also confiscated two bags of methamphetamine and $460. The guns were valued at $10,000.

Weinhouse said four of the guns had been stolen from a car in Milwaukie a couple of weeks earlier: an M-16 assault rifle with night scope, an M1-A1 military rifle, a .45-caliber Tec-9 semiautomatic pistol and a .45-caliber Ruger revolver. Police found those in the trunk, along with a stolen smoke grenade and ballistic vest.

"We still don't know what he was up to," Weinhouse said.

Police said the fifth gun, a 9mm semiautomatic Luger handgun, was loaded and in the car's center console when Santos tried to escape after officers spotted him cutting across lanes and speeding on Southwest Scholls Ferry Road near Murray Boulevard.

Santos pulled into a parking place but sped away as police approached, nearly hitting an officer, Weinhouse said.

Santos then "traveled in the oncoming lanes of traffic" with police in pursuit, "endangering the people of Beaverton and the police," Weinhouse told the judge during Monday's sentencing in U.S. District Court in downtown Portland.

"This was a serious matter," U.S. District Judge Garr M. King responded.

Weinhouse sought a six-year, 10-month sentence, while Christopher Schatz, Santos' federal public defender, asked for less than six years.

King came down between the two, saying he wanted to hand down a sentence that was "an adequate deterrence for criminal activity" while also taking into account Santos' history.

Santos was convicted of possessing meth for sale in Napa, Calif., in 2001 and being a felon in possession of a firearm during a May 2004 shootout over drugs in Tigard.

Schatz said Santos came from a broken home. His mother was a drug addict and he has been on his own since the age of 14, he said.

Santos apologized and asked for mercy. "I have lived a hard life," he said. "I was trying to do good, and I was doing good and it slipped away from me."

King warned Santos that while five years in prison is a long time, if he gets arrested again the penalty will be much longer.

"I hope you come out of prison with a good attitude," King said. "You will have your whole life ahead of you."

Holly Danks: 503-221-4377; [email protected]

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:43:35 PM EDT
[#2]
"an M-16 assault rifle with night scope, an M1-A1 military rifle, a .45-caliber Tec-9 semiautomatic pistol and a .45-caliber Ruger revolver."

WTF?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:56:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
"an M-16 assault rifle with night scope, an M1-A1 military rifle, a .45-caliber Tec-9 semiautomatic pistol and a .45-caliber Ruger revolver."

WTF?

Yeah, no shit.  Tec-9?  They gotta be shitting me.  I will correct it here:

"an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle with a scope, an M1A semi-automatic rifle, a .45 caliber handgun of unknown type, and a .45 caliber Ruger revolver."

That's like saying he stole a military Humvee (Hummer), a Jeep, a V8 powered Hyundai, and a Toyota.

Sheesh.  Idiots.  I think I'll send an informative email.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:46:03 PM EDT
[#4]
thats the wonderfully inept and gun hating oregon media for you, trying to terrify the OGP in to the "guns are evil thing", and the "he came from a broken home so its not his fault" BS.  Fuckin Eh, some people need to be kicked in the head.  And what GOOD was he trying to do by stealing someone else's guns, carrying around bags of meth, and trying to run down the beavertron PD?  Thats not something they teach the kids on Seseme Street.  And if all of those guns are worth 10k then I must be shopping in all of the wrong place.  I have very little sympathy for the guy who left all of those guns in 1 car unattended.  No way in heck would i do that not even for a 5 seconds.  Even when i go into the store on my way to shoot i usually make sure that I have some one with me to watch things or i dont stop.  crap like this really pisses me off.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:50:16 PM EDT
[#5]
someone told me it could have been the m16 that got stolen from a NG armory recently.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:27:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
someone told me it could have been the m16 that got stolen from a NG armory recently.

Nope!

>
> Press Release from: Oregon State Police
> OSP TROOPER RECOVERS MISSING M-16 MILITARY RIFLE DURING TRAFFIC STOP NORTH
OF BEND
> Posted: January 21st, 2006 9:19 AM
>
> A M-16 military rifle missing since an August 2004 training exercise in
central Oregon was recovered Friday night by an Oregon State Police (OSP)
trooper during a traffic stop north of Bend.
>
> On January 20, 2006, OSP Senior Trooper Scott Vaughn of the Prineville
work-site stopped DANIEL CROZER, age 30, from Powell Butte, for a traffic
violation north of Bend. During the stop, CROZER was arrested on an
outstanding warrant. Senior Trooper Vaughn also found a missing automatic
M-16 military rifle that led to an additional charge related to unlawful
possession of a machinegun.
>
> The weapon was reported missing to Jefferson County Sheriff's Office after
a military exercise August 21, 2004 near Haystack Reservoir.
>
> CROZER was taken into custody without incident and lodged into the Crook
County Jail for the unrelated outstanding arrest warrant, Theft of Mislaid
Property in the First Degree (firearm), and Unlawful Possession of a
Machinegun.
>
> OSP troopers and detectives are continuing the investigation.
>
www.oregon.gov/OSP

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:54:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I always Thought the TEC-9 actually notates that it's a 9mm semi pistol.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:52:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I always Thought the TEC-9 actually notates that it's a 9mm semi pistol.

You would think that, but we alll know that reporters always verify their facts, especially when it comes to gun stuff.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:31:58 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
thats the wonderfully inept and gun hating oregon media for you, trying to terrify the OGP in to the "guns are evil thing", and the "he came from a broken home so its not his fault" BS.  Fuckin Eh, some people need to be kicked in the head.  And what GOOD was he trying to do by stealing someone else's guns, carrying around bags of meth, and trying to run down the beavertron PD?  Thats not something they teach the kids on Seseme Street.  And if all of those guns are worth 10k then I must be shopping in all of the wrong place.  I have very little sympathy for the guy who left all of those guns in 1 car unattended.  No way in heck would i do that not even for a 5 seconds.  Even when i go into the store on my way to shoot i usually make sure that I have some one with me to watch things or i dont stop.  crap like this really pisses me off.

I don't know if it is just a product of the gun hating media or just a prouct of the uninformed media just putting down what his source inthe police department told them. I, being a "Cops" TV show junkie have seen Many times where the officers will totally blow the identification of a firearm. There was a thread on here that turned into a pretty good discussion around the fact that a majority of police don't have the knowledge of firearms that us enthuesiast have. A lot of police officers don't know much about firearms past their duty weapons.

I am in no way trying to defend the media here, because I have seen so many  times where they have totally gone off the deepend when depecting firearms or our community. All I'm saying is that if we want to maintain/gain or creditability with the less informed, we need to have our facts strait and not make open ended statements. At the end of the day it may not help, but it will give the anti-gunners less ammo the next time around.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top